Pink Papers and how to price my horse?

Sunny12345

Visit site
What does it mean if my horse is pink papered please and what valuation difference does this give my horse?

I have the pink papers and her full background of breeding as she is a pedigree. I am currently thinking about selling her and I have no idea how to price her.

She is a German sports horse cross with a Belgian warmblood, is a bold jumper and has fantastic movements for dressage. She is not a novice ride as she is a big mover, but in the right hands could be a fabulous 1/3 day eventer due to her engine. She loads great, great with vet and dentist. No vices at all and has never had any previously.

She's a 16.2hh mare who is flea-bitten grey, has a fabulous walk and trot and canter.

Could do with some help with pricing, please!!

15781264_10154457726606888_2378971368083524659_n.jpg49582228_10156456153501888_3797279216022585344_o.jpg

Sunny12345

Visit site
Oops sorry! She is turning 11 this year.

Regarding competing I mostly attend clinics and camp, and I have attended up to Novice in dressage and 95cm for jumping due to my ability. With her breeders, she has jumped up to 160cm - however, they did report 130cm was her comfortable height for the biggest to jump.

Sunny12345

Visit site
How old is she and what has she done?

Oops sorry! She is turning 11 this year.

Regarding competing I mostly attend clinics and camp, and I have attended up to Novice in dressage and 95cm for jumping due to my ability. With her breeders, she has jumped up to 160cm - however, they did report 130cm was her comfortable height for the biggest to jump.

SpringArising

Visit site
When did she last compete and at what height? I don't think the jumping photo is doing her much justice if I'm being brutally honest. Is there someone who would be happy to stick her over a few 1m+ fences for the ad/sale ride?

Ambers Echo

Visit site
It sounds like you are hoping to market her as a competition horse - an eventer. I am no expert but I think breeding is often more relevant for younger horses who can be advertised as having 'potential' for eventing. But at her age I think people will be far more interested in what she has actually done not what her breeding suggests she could do.

Competition record is more important than clinics and camps because many horses can jump the heights - it's the temperament to jump clear in competition over unfamiliar fences that is less common and fetches higher prices.

TGM

Visit site
I agree that her competition record is more important at the age of 11 than her breeding - unless you were selling her as a broodmare. Difficult to give a price without more details - what results has she had with you showjumping and cross country? What scores is she getting at Novice dressage? Does she hack out alone safely and is she good in traffic?

sportsmansB

Visit site
To be honest at 11yo without a competition record, she's a low level all rounder based on what you have done with her- and the pink papers are only relevant to someone who would want to breed.
They are relevant to a young horse as it is impossible to know what they COULD do- and breeding gives a guide.
But you're unlikely to get much more for her due to them at this stage- broodmare money would be less than all rounder money.
If you want to try and attract competition homes (and therefore competition horse money) you would definitely need a few SJ pics / videos of her jumping 1m+.
Otherwise, focus on the things she does really well, and if she is safe, sounds, hacks, travels well, doesn't stop / nap, pops a small SJ and XC course (at 90cm say) and goes to clinics etc you'll get decent riding club money for her (maybe £6-8k)?

ihatework

Visit site
In layman’s terms, Pink papers generally means the horse has its family tree known on both sides of the parentage and that parentage is eligible per the specific stud book requirements. It usually implies well bred (but that is open to debate!) but at any rate, everything is traceable. (*funny story below)

How does that affect their value? In your shoes not a lot. Your horse is too old and not at a current level of training for anyone to spend proper money as an affiliated competition horse with the potential to progress.
There is, or could be, some merit to someone interested in breeding should the mare have desirable bloodlines - although it’s only likely to be the difference of someone wanting her as a Broodmare or not.

For you, the over riding factors that will influence her sale price are her soundness, safety, temperament and rideability for an amateur.

Those factors dependant she is likely worth in the 3-8k bracket.

* a few years back I was interested in buying a foal, Eventing orientated. I wanted a filly with future breeding in mind. Anyway saw one I quite liked, hannovarian Tb spoke to the amateur breeder who assured me this foal was pink papered hannovarian. After an offer had been accepted it turns out the paperwork to register the foal was pink but alas the foal was not pink papered 😂🙈

Sunny12345

Visit site
Thanks for all your comments on the pink papers, I need to gather her competition results together, therefore, the competition comments are not too valid.

I do also have additional jumping photos, however nothing to hand at the moment on my computer. I will also gather the jumping photos of her 1m+.

Thanks for your comments!

Zero00000

Visit site
just to add that using your full name makes it very easy to find you on social media see any posts.

Reactions: TGM

oldie48

Visit site
If she is straightforward and good to do she's basically a nice RC allrounder and there's always a market for this type but it won't be based on breeding. 3.5k-7k depending on temperament and ability to train on to a higher level tbh I dont like either of the photos that you have posted as I suspect they don't do her justice, she looks very novicey for an 11 yr old