pink patch appeared on eye, do I need to worry

BethH

Visit site
Hi I have a 21 year old 15.2hh conne x TB who I've owned since he was 4. Last week I noticed a small pink patch like a colour change on the side of his eye which is dark brown. Have been keeping an eye on it(no pun intended!) and I think it's a little larger than it was, it is very small not even 1/2 cm but it wasn't there before! It is not raised at all, just almost like someone has bleached the colour out of it and left it pink!

Is this just a sign of ageing or is it a sign of something going on inside the eye that needs a vet.

He is very well in himself, eating normally and the eye is bright and clear with no sign of any swelling or weeping, it's just normal with a pink patch.

I'm hoping that someone on here who has knowledge about eyes can tell me a bit more as I don't want to leave it unchecked but also don't want to waste the vet's time.

Thank you

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Which part of the eye do you mean, the skin around the eye or the iris? If it's the skin, I probably wouldn't worry too much but if it's the iris, I would want the vet to have a look soon.

BethH

Visit site
It's actually the eye not the skin ,right in the outer corner going towards and just about to touch the limbus? I'm worried about using the wrong terminology, but where the white of the eye is (is that the sclera?) and the iris starts but before you get to the pupil. I'm not sure if that makes sense but I just have a niggle as it's a change. My husband suggested a burst blood vessel but I'm panicking about something internal!! Now only veteran insurance so not covered and husband with no job !! Kinda hoping no vet but suspect I should get it checked!

BethH

Visit site
and thank you so much for replying - I've had him a long time and it's been quite a journey I'd hate it to be a problem for him after everything else he's dealt with!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
On the sclera?

My CM is in her 20's now. One eye always has brown sclera while the other had white. A patch of the brown sclera has depigmented and it hasn't caused any issues.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have one with a brown sclera which developed a little pink patch a while back. I opted to just watch and wait because of the horse's opinion of vets and being poked and prodded, i struggle to catch her just for foot care... normally i would have gone into full on freak out mode but it hasn't changed in a year. So I doubt it's going to be the thing that finishes her off. She is in retirement though, and just making up the numbers. one of my more precious ones I'd have got looked at fairly swiftly, just to know what it was if nothing else.

BethH

Visit site
Thank you, it starts just at the edge of the iris, you can barely see it until he rolls his eye in a different direction and then it's more obvious. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days and if it gets any larger I'll get the vet to take a look, it's obviously not bothering him but you know what it's like when you start imagining the worst! De-pigmentation is a good way of describing it, my instinct was that it was an aging process thing, but I'd never forgive myself if I've missed a trick and it's more serious.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Its generally thought that eyes are emergencies so I'd definitely keep very close watch and maybe try a phone consultation if your vets offer that.

BethH

Visit site
Yes that's a good idea. I've taken a couple of photos so may be able to email those to them for advice. I'll call them on Tuesday just to be sure if nothing changes before then.

Thank you

BethH

Visit site
Thank you, I'll definitely be speaking to the vet and emailing some photos, my horse always manages to make me feel concerned about something on Bank Holidays, it's like he's been to a clinic on how to bankrupt your owner!!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes that's a good idea. I've taken a couple of photos so may be able to email those to them for advice. I'll call them on Tuesday just to be sure if nothing changes before then.

Thank you

That sounds like a good idea, if the horse shows signs of pain (rubbing the eye on a leg) or a runny eye, I would ring but otherwise an email on Tuesday should suffice. Why is it always Bank Holiday weekend when they do this to us?

BethH

Visit site
In my horse's case, practice makes perfect!

Thank you all for your replies, it's reassuring to be able to get a bit of feedback from here.