piriformis syndrome

Abby-Lou

Visit site
I am due to get an MRI scan this week, I've been suffering from pain to the right of my coyyx and in my groin for some time now. I originally thought i'd hurt my coyyx but researching on the internet the symptoms of piriformis syndrome seems to be possiblity. has anyone any experience of this ? what treatment did you have ? Its basically a muscle which traps your nerve and give sciatica type pain in buttock/groin and numness down the leg. My non horse riding friends give the helpful advice just stop riding which isn't an option ;) any advise please ?

furrycat

Visit site
I sometimes get piriformis pain when I run. For me it is a sharp pain in my buttock. Now after a run I always do a piriformis stretch, which has alleviated the problem completely. If you google piriformis stretches you will see what to do as its a bit hard to explain!

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
I too get piriformis pain from riding or running. My hips are externally rotated due to tight piriformis (in a Physio and you learn a lot about your own body at uni). At its worst I get buttock pain radiating right down to my foot.

The sciatic nerve can run over, under or indeed right through the piriformis muscle, so if you've got the latter and a tight piriformis you get sciatica but without the back pain. Ouch!!!

Stretches... Lots of them, but you need to address why you're getting the problem. I've also found VHT (the human form of equine touch - I've done level 1 and 2) was really effective at releasing the muscle without being quite as painful as trigger pointing. My friend once wanted to stick an acupuncture needle in my piriformis. It would work but no way!!!

Pilates (or easier exercises first from a good Physio) is very good at strengthening your core which needs to include you're glutes to correctly stabilise your hip joint.

As for riding, lunge lessons to get you to deepen your seat correctly.

If it makes you feel better I saw on h&c tv once that Charlotte Dujardin gets this, so we're in good company!!!

atlantis

I too get piriformis pain from riding or running. My hips are externally rotated due to tight piriformis (in a Physio and you learn a lot about your own body at uni). At its worst I get buttock pain radiating right down to my foot.

The sciatic nerve can run over, under or indeed right through the piriformis muscle, so if you've got the latter and a tight piriformis you get sciatica but without the back pain. Ouch!!!

Stretches... Lots of them, but you need to address why you're getting the problem. I've also found VHT (the human form of equine touch - I've done level 1 and 2) was really effective at releasing the muscle without being quite as painful as trigger pointing. My friend once wanted to stick an acupuncture needle in my piriformis. It would work but no way!!!

Pilates (or easier exercises first from a good Physio) is very good at strengthening your core which needs to include you're glutes to correctly stabilise your hip joint.

If it makes you feel better I saw on h&c tv once that Charlotte Dujardin gets this, so we're in good company!!!

atlantis

atlantis

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Good luck, hope you get sorted. About 3 years ago I was absolutely crippled with this, couldn't even drive to work as it was so painful. Oddly, riding was the only thing that I could tolerate.
I had physio and accupuncture (ouch!!!) which gave temporary relief but I had to go private. I am also hypermobile and the NHS physio couldn't help me- the stretches they usually suggest aren't stretches for me as my stupid loose ligaments let my limbs flop all over the place.

For me, it seems that it is very much stress related. It is always there in the background, manageable as long as I am careful but when I get stressed it comes back with a vengeance.
I bought a saddle chair for my office which helps loads. Before that I tried everything going in the way of cushions etc as I have a largely office based role so have to be able to sit down. It was only a cheap one off ebay, but something about it just stops that muscle grabbing again.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
What a coincidence I've self-diagnosed myself with PS and have just got back from the gym where I was just talking to my PT about how frustrating it is because it's stopping me running. For me it is a sharp pain running through my left buttock but luckily only if I run or walk fast at the moment. Very annoying! I've also seemed to have pulled a muscle or something in the back of my right knee.

I looked up some stretches and found this video http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jason-saltmarsh/piriformis_b_5614111.html

Bodger

Visit site
I had this too - running really exacerbated it, as did driving. At its worst it was a sharp pain deep inside my buttock which radiated down the back of my leg into my heel. I went to see a chiropractor (the same one that does the horses!) and he told me I had a tilted and rotated pelvis and that was causing the piriformis problem - so although it presented as sciatica it wasn't actually a disc issue. I had several sessions where he basically knocked everything back into place and also gave me some stretches to do and its made an enormous difference. I still need to be more aware of my posture so I do yoga regularly and have also started pilates, but because I',m keeping up my stretches I now only need to see him every 3 months. It sounds like you would really benefit from seeing a physio or a good chiro as they might be able to sort you out. Good luck!

Bodger

atlantis

I've found something else that brings mine on, dragging a skedge with a 2 1/2 stone 3 yr old girl on. "Faster mummy". I've been in agony since last night. Just fine my pilates dvd. Much better now!!!

Hippona

Visit site
Me too....pilates, stretches, physio and deep massage from a chiro all help.

MRI was clear, which is good to know.

I also have tight hip flexors ....daily exercises are a must for me, but on the plus side my core stability has increased and my balance in the saddle has improved too.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I though I had PS but it turned out to be a slipped disk and locked up SI joint. Have sorted the slipped disk now but the SI pain is still driving me mad!

Fransurrey

Visit site
I wonder if this is my problem! I have a history of sciatica and then seized SIJ. Sorted that, but still have the coccyx issue. Train journeys are horrific due to concrete seats and until recently, riding was an issue. I now use a Thorn pad and a hip saver. I am so comfortable in the saddle, now. For me, the saddle cantle wasn't doing me any favours!

ETA: pretty sure my problem is coccydinia after checking my notes and spinal health website and not PS, but hip saver would still help you I think. ☺

Last edited:

happybear

Visit site
I went to a physio/chiro this week who diagnosed me with this... she said I had a tilted pelvis probably from an old riding injury where I landed on my lower back, and so my hip muscles inc. the piriformis muscle had tightened as a result of working harder to keep my hip in place. She also said this had caused my to have slightly wonky legs! She's recommended lots of stretches and also lying on the floor and rolling the affected area on a tennis ball, which really helps :) She said sees lots of horse riders with tight hamstrings; perhaps riders are also prone to piriformis issues?

Bodger

Visit site
I went to a physio/chiro this week who diagnosed me with this... she said I had a tilted pelvis probably from an old riding injury where I landed on my lower back, and so my hip muscles inc. the piriformis muscle had tightened as a result of working harder to keep my hip in place. She also said this had caused my to have slightly wonky legs! She's recommended lots of stretches and also lying on the floor and rolling the affected area on a tennis ball, which really helps :) She said sees lots of horse riders with tight hamstrings; perhaps riders are also prone to piriformis issues?

Its great that you've got a diagnosis and a plan :) I think that one of the (many!) good things about being a rider is that we're really aware of our posture and how it might affect the horse's way of going. My chiro likes treating riders for this reason as he says they actually want to work to change their posture and will often do the exercises out of respect for their horse!!