Pity party- all welcome BYOB

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
So sorry you’re having rotten luck. Maybe get some ‘jobs’ done so that when he’s mended you have more time to ride. Good luck.

Visit site
The latest wound isn't overly much but yes worthy of a few staples. What we would do with that is no field for 3-4 days with just a normal stable bandage on overnight to keep it from blowing up in the box. They would be on the horse walker or being ridden as normal and then go in the field from day 4-5 onwards as that's plenty of time for the skin to start to knit and heel from the inside out. Still cleaning and stable bandaging every day for the 10 days the staples are in for.

cauda equina

Visit site
Could a tiny, possibly temporary, companion be brought in?
When I had a youngster on long-term box rest (it turned out to be 5 months in the end) and didn't want to keep either of my arthritic oldies in to babysit, I got the youngster his own Shetland as an emotional support animal.
We have internal stables too and the Shetland was small enough to be able to be free range without damaging himself or anything else

SEL

Visit site
There are some horses who just seem to like the company of the OOH vet and I'm really sorry yours is one of them ? I've got one of the always doing something horses and it's a lot less stressful now she's retired! I'll bring chocolate and wine to your pity party because I know how frustrating it is.

Here's hoping it heals quickly.

Reactions: TPO

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am sorry to hear of your woes, they are heartbreakers.

FWIW, you have been sooo diligent. I would have likely had the vet but, as Elf, would have a simple stable bandage, changed daily or twice daily, and in hand work so the horse would keep moving. After a few days I would likely walk out under saddle just round the block.

Some horses just seem fragile.

BTW, what is the link between Ventipulmin and lami please? My vet has Rigsby on Ventipulmin and said no link to lami. It is the reason he is on it rather than inhaled steroids, for as long as possible.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oh no, that's so so pants ?

I'll join the pity party - I can bring an inexplicably vomitting westie and a problem with fleas that are apparently complete immune to all treatments, so I'm now just washing them all every couple of days ?. I also have wine and quite a lot of spirits

(As an aside, Arty was so prone to injuring herself as a young horse that I had to remove every last scrap of electric fencing from the fields - no matter how well it was secured or that it was powered off the mains, she would still find a way to injure herself on it)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I don't think it's a pat on the back I need @PurBee it's an intervention!

I lost a horse each year 2008, 2009 and 2010. I sold the only horse I've ever sold in 2009 and he died 3mths later in his new owner's field, so he wasn't mine but it was still upsetting. Had two pts the same day 2016 and thst was after 6yrs of my TB dumbfounded vets, exhausting insurance, two surgeries and the practice who vet checked him while I had him on a pre purchase trial lying and changing his record. Then last year lost a horse out of the blue to severe cellulitis after doing literally everything possible for 5wks to try to get him better. His half hourly walks through snow drifts and round the clock nursing was all documented on here at the time ? I thought I'd finally broken the curse with this horse but looking back there has been quite a lot of "stuff" that happened with him too. It hadn't been as bad as the TBs so hasn't registered the same, until this year of calamity.

Like I said a complete pity party. Lots of people have loads worse to contend with. Just needed a moan and a wallow ?

I think you're entitled to be a bit self pitying about that lot TPO!

TheMule

Visit site
If it's any consolation, my 5yr old tried to amputate his own leg on the fence 4 weeks ago. He did a more thorough job than yours, nearly bled to death and had to have the joint flushed under general and is supposed to be on box rest for 6 weeks but I've given up and he's out in a small pen. This happened a week after I lost my dear little mule, also aged 5 :confused:

I don’t have any photos of the original wound as was in too much of a panic.

Good luck with your latest recovery!

C70BA5C7-6F6E-43BA-9C8D-2D0805DCD7E6.jpeg

Red-1

Visit site
I think that quite often, we don't realise how often everyone else has heart-breaking disasters too. Not that it makes you feel better about the horse when it is injured. I do think that knowing that stops you kicking yourself when there was nothing more you could have done.

Red-1

Visit site
If it's any consolation, my 5yr old tried to amputate his own leg on the fence 4 weeks ago. He did a more thorough job than yours, nearly bled to death and had to have the joint flushed under general and is supposed to be on box rest for 6 weeks but I've given up and he's out in a small pen. This happened a week after I lost my dear little mule, also aged 5 :confused:

View attachment 96847
Nooo, I had no idea you had lost your mule. I/m so sorry.

chaps89

Visit site

View attachment 96847
Can’t ‘like’ that post, what a horrible turn of events :(

Marigold4

Visit site
So sorry, TPO. That's such bad luck. I'm so sorry you are having such an awful time. I had a cluster of horse disasters a few years ago - it was a really depressing time. Look after yourself. I found it hard to cope with non-horsey people saying "you don't have much luck with your horses" instead of "poor you". We got through it though and now it seems a distant memory. I hope your horse mends quickly and this run of luck fades into the past for you too.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I think it says a lot that you have kept going through event after event with horses. You are entitled to be fed up especially as it’s tricky and a PIA with your set up. I have to admit if I don’t have right set up, I pack them off to rehab livery as decide it’s worth it for my sanity and if they need restricted exercise.

I think horses are a bit like child birth (not that I would know!) but people tell me it’s awful pain at the time but lessens and you forget so keep going and having more. Horses are a terrible addiction.

TPO

Visit site
I hope that the vomiting stops soon @DabDab and that the fleas take the hint and die!

Sending you all the healing vibes @TheMule He didn't do that by halves did he? ? Sorry again about your mule, life is really unfair at times.

Don't know if it'll make you feel better or worse but I know someone who's horse did similar, but not into the joint although deep, on a fence. Apparently it didn't need the vet because they are just out for the money ? and it just got doused in blue spray. It was at a ridden clinic, still lame, a couple of weeks later. It's a few months on now and it's "fine". How do those people "get away" with it? I'm pretty confident in assuming how vigilant and knowledgeable you are and you still got death that awful hand.

TPO

Visit site
I think it says a lot that you have kept going through event after event with horses

That I'm a slow learner that can't take a hint?!? I mean the universe has been dropping some clangers yet still I persevere ?

In all seriousness he is my last. The penny has finally dropped!

scats

Visit site
So sorry you’re having a rough time at the moment. I’ve just had a £3k vet bill and the last few years have been pretty hellish, once again, with poorly horses so I really feel your pain.

FWIW, Tobi had to have a wound stapled a few years ago, bigger than that. He fell over his own feet getting up from a roll and did it with his own shoe. He had a small bandage on top that I could change and the vet said chuck him out as normal in the driest field you have (it was winter).
Healed fine and he was fine. Just in case you get to the point that you think you need to turn him out, I reckon he will be fine.

Last edited:

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
That I'm a slow learner that can't take a hint?!? I mean the universe has been dropping some clangers yet still I persevere ?

In all seriousness he is my last. The penny has finally dropped!

sometimes fate steps in…. I am off to see a 5yo next week that I can’t possibly deal with right now but I fell in love in the field and that never happens. I went to see a horse with The Mule, so wasn’t even looking for me!! I just need to check I still love him. Horse wasn’t for sale, then decided to sell but too much, now it’s the right price…. So what are you meant to do? Say no to serendipity? All my horses seem to come along in weird ways so I go with the flow.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Really sorry to read this.

Why do these things always happen one after the other?! Sometimes with horses it feels like you just can't catch a break.

Hope he fixes quickly and stops self harming.

You're very welcome to my Wispa bar! X

Reactions: TPO

SEL

Visit site
Oh no you lost your mule - I didn't know, I'm sorry.

That looks awful. I'm sending healing vibes and hugs to all the humans of self harming horses

BBP

Visit site
What stinky luck for you and TheMule. That’s a lot to cope with. My little moan today is BBP’s sarcoid. Blinking thing won’t quit growing. I have no idea how long til it ulcerates or starts to bleed. Everyone says there are options but none are right for him.
Feb and today. Feb it was slice of the end of my little finger. Not sure why todays is sideways.

55B3B459-27D4-4DEF-BA4F-B539E81531CE.jpeg9C298CCA-C336-45F8-B07A-A290E5DEFD8A.jpeg

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
So sorry you’re having a rough time at the moment. I’ve just had a £3k vet bill and the last few years have been pretty hellish, once again, with poorly horses so I really feel your pain.

FWIW, Tobi had to have a wound stapled a few years ago, bigger than that. He fell over his own feet getting up from a roll and did it with his own shoe. He had a small bandage on top that I could change and the vet said chuck him out as normal in the driest field you have (it was winter).
Healed fine and he was fine. Just in case you get to the point that you think you need to turn him out, I reckon he will be fine.
Mine did that last new years day ffs of all days!
Rolled in his stable knicked his leg with his shoe and bam.. antibiotics and painkillers and a mega ooh call out lol

misst

Visit site
TPO so sorry this is happening. Having had a self harmer TB I sympathise. I miss having horses until I read things like this then I remember the stresses. I remember you poor boy with cellulitis and the walks through the snow at all hours. You have been stoic to say the least. I hope your luck changes soon.
Mule - so sorry for your loss of such a youngster x

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I’ve just caught up TPO….blummin heck…go outside and do some “cosmic ordering”..look at those stars in the universe and ask for exactly what you want..horses that don’t self harm…lottery win….job offer in the Southern Hemisphere…and I ll add my thoughts too for pony to rapidly heal with minimum of aggro for you…

TPO

Visit site
I’ve just caught up TPO….blummin heck…go outside and do some “cosmic ordering”..look at those stars in the universe and ask for exactly what you want..horses that don’t self harm…lottery win….job offer in the Southern Hemisphere…and I ll add my thoughts too for pony to rapidly heal with minimum of aggro for you…

Thank you ?