Plait found in horses mane, does it mean it will be stolen?

CALMEquestrian

www.calmequestrian.co.uk
wow, it seems there are many different views on mane plaiting. We have had a local attack here in our village, last week, horse plaited then 3 days later offender/s were disturbed and horses kicked down the partitions and doors on the stables, Tisbury, Wilts. Police warning owners to move horses and take out plaits if found.

Miranda.

Zoobie

Visit site
Has anyone checked with Surrey Police to see if the incident occured. I wonder as someone already mentioned this is of a similar vein to the photo taking stories that went round last year

Tinseltoes

Visit site
Very scary. I think they go after EASY targets ie visible from road,easy access and quick gettaway,remote,no houses nearby???????? Just a guess.

My field is surrounded by houses and some are over looking onto the lane and field. Anyone prowling around wouls be seen. Theyre very nosey lol

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
There is an email going around at the moment, not sure if its an 'urban myth' but apparently the ones with plaits are being 'marked' to be stolen. I'm afraid I ran out of patience with the email moaning about the gist of which was how sad it was that horses were being earmarked to be stolen. GET THEM BL**DY FREEZEMARKED and you wont find a plait in your horses mane, much less your horse missing! I'm sorry but microchipping should be an addition to freezemarking and not instead of. Whilst I appreciate that the very small majority or horses are unable to be freezemarked due to their colour, this is only a very small minority and really there is no excuse. My energies are saved for those heartfelt thoughts and best wishes to owners of horses that are stolen that are freezemarked (a very small number) because they really have tried their hardest to protect their beloved horses, I have very little sympathy for the owners of those that are stolen and only chipped. Each horse I've owned has been freezemarked as a matter of course within a week to a fortnight after purchasing them as a matter of course. Sorry for the rant, but it is ridiculous shutting the door after the horse has bolted.
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would get my horse bl**dy freezemarked if i could get a company to come to the "wilds" of Oxfordshire to do it for me- been trying since early September
mad.gif
couldnt get enough people interested to make a big enough group for them to bother with
crazy.gif

SpruceRI

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is an email going around at the moment, not sure if its an 'urban myth' but apparently the ones with plaits are being 'marked' to be stolen. I'm afraid I ran out of patience with the email moaning about the gist of which was how sad it was that horses were being earmarked to be stolen. GET THEM BL**DY FREEZEMARKED and you wont find a plait in your horses mane, much less your horse missing! I'm sorry but microchipping should be an addition to freezemarking and not instead of. Whilst I appreciate that the very small majority or horses are unable to be freezemarked due to their colour, this is only a very small minority and really there is no excuse. My energies are saved for those heartfelt thoughts and best wishes to owners of horses that are stolen that are freezemarked (a very small number) because they really have tried their hardest to protect their beloved horses, I have very little sympathy for the owners of those that are stolen and only chipped. Each horse I've owned has been freezemarked as a matter of course within a week to a fortnight after purchasing them as a matter of course. Sorry for the rant, but it is ridiculous shutting the door after the horse has bolted.
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would get my horse bl**dy freezemarked if i could get a company to come to the "wilds" of Oxfordshire to do it for me- been trying since early September
mad.gif
couldnt get enough people interested to make a big enough group for them to bother with
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found that too. They won't come out for one
frown.gif

Lou <3 Holly

New User
Visit site
At my yard last night two horses got pliats in their manes one was a cob gelding byt the other was a 14.2 mare but not a cob the gelding is very old and the mare is also quite old they are in seperate fields my mare is in the same as the gelding she is 15.1 and a lightweight cob she didnt have a pliat but i red the thread and it made out that cobby mares unter 16 hh would be targeted :Z

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
At my yard last night two horses got pliats in their manes one was a cob gelding byt the other was a 14.2 mare but not a cob the gelding is very old and the mare is also quite old they are in seperate fields my mare is in the same as the gelding she is 15.1 and a lightweight cob she didnt have a pliat but i red the thread and it made out that cobby mares unter 16 hh would be targeted :Z

Prob best to do a search on here & then also note its half term week too..... :)

Oh, welcome aboard :)

hcm88

Visit site
This has happened recently here in the Gloucestershire area too, horses are being marked by a single plait in their manes. Luckily I haven't personally come across any cases but I encourage anyone to keep their horses in at night especially if such activity has been reported in their area.

Spudlet

Visit site
Seriously, do none of these nefarious types have camera phones? Why on earth would you mark a horse with a plait when you could take a picture and text it? And nobody give me any of that rubbish about not being able to see them in the dark either. There are such things as torches!

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
I hear they put a gold star sticker on the phones they want to come back and steal later, so that they can then take pictures of the horses with plaits in their manes that they want to steal later. Oh, hang on......

Cuffey

Visit site
So all the ''off the hill'' Fell ponies at last weeks sale with a wonderful assortment of single and double plaits were all stolen--except their chips and passports matched the catalogue entries.....................

Monkers

Visit site
You would have to wonder why they would plait the manes and then come back later to steal the horse. Why would they not just take the horse the first time they visited the field?

lhotse

Visit site
Wow, new members resurrecting old threads about plaits!!!!

Resurrection, was there a horror movie by that name, might be good viewing for Halloween!!!!

Q the musis from the Twighlight Zone

dodododo dodododo dah dah!!!

EAST KENT

Visit site
horse stolen near weston super mare.ower had call to say it was at the docks.lucky for her it was microchipped and got left behind.the others were shipped to ireland.how can they be aloud to be shipped with no passport?there has been reports in weston area of mane twisted

Now quite why anyone would ship to Ireland is beyond me..after all they have an over population of horses to the point of crisis ! If I was going to nick something the desired object would not be marked prior..just take it and get out of there!
Absolute rubbish.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
That story was debunked along time ago. And you're quite right, there are quite enough horses in Ireland to be getting on with!!!!
What to the conspiracy theorists say to the fact that I had to untangle one of these mystery, intricate plaits in the mane of a Quarter Horse, in Tennessee? Pagans? Thieving travellers? Or just chucked out in a field for a month to do as he pleased in all weathers.....

joelb

Visit site
We have new improved rustlers in Shropshire according to the latest facebook offerings....they’re now entering fields fully equipped with scanners and only plaiting the horses that are not microchipped. Some vivid imaginations out there :).

vieshot

Visit site
never heard so much rubbish, where is the media coverage? where are the news paper articles? where is ANY proof!?! There isnt any because its not true! Its beyond me to understand how anyone could be gullible enough to believe this

Tinseltoes

Visit site
I cant believe that these threads are still going on. Do these people only steal horses with long manes? Or bloody what?:confused:

Seriously, do none of these nefarious types have camera phones? Why on earth would you mark a horse with a plait when you could take a picture and text it? And nobody give me any of that rubbish about not being able to see them in the dark either. There are such things as torches!

I hear they put a gold star sticker on the phones they want to come back and steal later, so that they can then take pictures of the horses with plaits in their manes that they want to steal later. Oh, hang on......

You would have to wonder why they would plait the manes and then come back later to steal the horse. Why would they not just take the horse the first time they visited the field?

never heard so much rubbish, where is the media coverage? where are the news paper articles? where is ANY proof!?! There isnt any because its not true! Its beyond me to understand how anyone could be gullible enough to believe this

Agree with everything said above quotes. This thread is GETTING OLD. Some people are sooooooo dumb to believe this rubbish about plaiting to steal.Whatever next?

mr fields

Visit site
yes i have had a very similar experience on my yard where i had my liveries askin why their horses had a black dot underneath their forelock looked to be done with a marker pen, i just replied i dont know maybe someone having a laugh and ignored the situation. a few days later 3 more liveries came upto me and said their horses had the same mark with the same colour pen (black) and they wasnt happy at all then i noticed dots on my own horses that was in stables and a few that was in the fields, so i called a yard meeting immediatly and everybody seemed to be very worried about it. anyway that night i decided to stay up late turn on all cctv camera`s and stay on watch, while i was sat in my kitchen my wife shouted saying come quick theres a light in the field and all horses are running round like idiots. so i quickly jumped in my land rover and drove quietly through the fields where i saw someone leading one of my liveries horses through the field towards the gate then i looked to the end of my lane and noticed a horse box. so i drove rediculously fast bak through my fields to my yard and got all my guard dogs out (5 of them), luckily they heard my dogs barking running up the field, set the horse free and jumped in their car they had parked at the gate and drove off........ i was so lucky that i had decided to stay up that night as they could of taken all the horses on my yard.

EquestrianType

Visit site
Could ask all those 'genuine' horse communicators to get the geegees to tells us what is going on out there in geegee world!...any takers?.............

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
can i also say get some hoof brands

have your yard purchase them then all liveries who want them branded can have them post coded with the yard post code this last 6 months i suggest you get the fronts done then at 6 months the back ones give the horn a break this is a really obvious deterrent . The more the horse is marked the less chance it has of being stolen .

contact http://www.equibrand.co.uk/hoofbrands.html