Plait found in mares mane Beds/bucks/herts Borders Warning!!

what do you put on your horsie when traveling? tick as many as required...

• Total voters

DebbieCG

Visit site
I can try and contact Shet News to verify - I doubt whether they would show this story, were it not from reliable sources.

Zebedee

Visit site
Guilford story is an urban myth. No horses have ever been left tied to the docks. A poster on here verified this with the police.

The_snoopster

Visit site
I,m sure i had a email from ringmaster telling this story, then another a week later stating the police had no knowledge of this ever happening.
There was no crime number for this case which surely there would be for something so serious, what made this case so credable is the certain fact that ferrys do not check out going horse transport as thoroughly as they should.
I am known for being paranoid for my horses security but in all fairness lots of the photo,s do look like wind tangles to me but if it makes more people aware of the dangers of theft then bring it on.
Personally the local horses that were stolen last year only across the lane in the opposite field were not plaited before they dissapeared, the theif just came took what they wanted and left.
The best preventative things to try and keep our horses safe are to freezemark, micochips, regular checks at different times, signs on your gates stating your security messures, when all these are done just enjoy your horses.

DebbieCG

Visit site
There was an attempted theft of horses near to us one or two years ago and the police did not confirm, as it was listed under something like 'domestic'

I had a word with the owner of the horses and he confirmed there had been an attempted theft at his property. Fortunately, someone he knew had been driving by and spotted a strange vehicle and horse trailer in the property and alerted relevant people. By the way, this owner was still visably angry that someone had entered onto his property unlawfully.

DebbieCG

Visit site
Good points, The_Snoopster re prevention, id and signs to warn.

I think there should be far more stringent checks at ports.

Still, the police seemed to have no knowledge when asked about the incident I have just mentioned. Yet I spoke to the horse owner and it most definitely had been an attempted theft.

The_snoopster

Visit site
But surely the case of these stolen horses that were left at a port tied to railings because the thieves discovered the horses were chipped would be given a crime number. When anything criminal happens the first thing the police do is give you a crime number.
2 years ago my shettie was loosed out of his field, someone had smashed the padlocks off the gate, i rang the police and was given a crime reference number immediately.
Luckily for me my pony was found up the lane abandoned and was subdued for weeks after.
This horse that was stolen and abandoned there was no such report to the police, maybe a horse was abandoned i don,t know but there was something very suss about the whole story.
For me these (plaits) i,m not convinced yet.

DebbieCG

Visit site
And have just remember something, even though the police seemed to have no listings of attempted horse theft at the property, the horse owner told me himself that the police had been able to trace the false number plate of the strange vehicle (number plate taken by friend who was passing by and who averted the attempt).

Owner said police tracked the false number plates (by motorway cameras) up to Birmingham or somewhere like that.

So we have owner saying one thing and the police not confirming - strange eh?

The_snoopster

Visit site
Do you think there was no crime number because the thieves did not have time to steal and were distubed before being able to do so.
When my pony went missing the police were great and kept in touch every 20 mins untill the pony was found, it did help that the police officer lived close to my field and knew him and was almost as concerned as me.
She even arranged for extra paroles near my field for a few weeks untill i found a new field.

DebbieCG

Visit site
Well. perhaps I can try and contact Shet News to verify a bit more.

Also not sure how much information police can give out, after all it might hinder any type of prosecution or may be a confidential matter, until concluded.

Perhaps a poster with more knowledge of how the police listings system works would be better to advise us.

DebbieCG

Visit site
Just looked - poster said she made 'extensive checking' but doesn't confirm with whom and what was confirmed.

Another poster replied:

There is a full page item in our local paper tonight all about this. The Guildford to Holyhead story is mentioned as well, and a local police officer is quoted as saying horses have been found locally with plaits but none stolen. Keeping an open mind but having seen a picture of one of the "plaits" (on HHO I think) I would say they do look more like mane tangles.

Can anyone find/show the item from the local paper - think above poster was based in Shropshire?

DebbieCG

Visit site
Another poster also replied to the thread:

I received the email about the stolen horse in Guildford from a friend of mine who knows the person that this happened to. Also in the same week a plait was found in the mane of a gelding on our yard - he was living out 24/7 at the time in a field next to a public right of way, he and the other horses were removed right away to a more secure pasture. And a lorry was also stolen a week later, and we are in Guildford, Surrey, so all a bit worrying! Thankfully the lorry has been recovered by the police and after repairs are made will be returned!

DebbieCG

Visit site
Checked in archives - think this may be the article from the Shropshire Star (18 November 2009) Archives did not come up with counter-statement

Claim gangs mark out horses to steal

Gangs of Irish travellers are believed to be using a sinister marking technique to single out horses in Shropshire to steal and take home to race, it was claimed today.

Police have issued a warning to horseowners in the county to be on the lookout for a practice known as “horse tagging” where plaits are tied in the manes of the animals which could mean they are targets to be stolen at a later date.

Incidents have already been reported in Church Preen, Pontesbury near Shrewsbury, and Telford.

Roger Pittaway, clerk of Wroxeter and Uppington Parish Council, near Shrewsbury, said they had received a visit from Constable Dave Harte who told them about the issue.

He said: “Constable Harte is very concerned that horses are being targeted in the area by the travelling fraternity.

“It’s called horse tagging and it’s coming up from the south. They are using these horses for racing in Ireland and they are looking for new stock. They race them into the ground and then abandon them or kill them. They are going around looking for horses they can steal.”

Mr Pittaway said the plaits were so discreet that unless a person looked out for them they would often go unnoticed.

Constable Harte said one incident had been reported to police in the south of England regarding a horse stolen from a field in Guildford, Surrey. It was later found abandoned at a ferry port in Holyhead destined for Ireland, understood to have been left behind be-cause it was microchipped.

He added: “We have had incidents in Church Preen, Pontesbury and in Telford. No horses have been stolen but we have found plaits in their manes.

“We have sent warnings on the Ringmaster system and to everyone on the RuralWatch system in Shropshire.”

the watcher

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just looked - poster said she made 'extensive checking' but doesn't confirm with whom and what was confirmed.

Another poster replied:

There is a full page item in our local paper tonight all about this. The Guildford to Holyhead story is mentioned as well, and a local police officer is quoted as saying horses have been found locally with plaits but none stolen. Keeping an open mind but having seen a picture of one of the "plaits" (on HHO I think) I would say they do look more like mane tangles.

Can anyone find/show the item from the local paper - think above poster was based in Shropshire?

[/ QUOTE ]

Debsam

I checked with the Police who cover the area from which the horse was supposedly stolen. They were well aware of the story but confirmed to be that no horse had been reported stolen from their area and recovered elsewhere.

It appears to be a complete myth. However, as with the Eastern Europeans in vans with cameras story last year, as these stories spread they gain credibility and even Police officer will give advice in good faith, believing them to be true.

Whilst it is perfectly possible that a horse with unexplained plaits has been stolen in the past, it is not a usual modus operandi , in fact horses more commonly disappear when on loan than are stolen from a field.

I must confess to getting a little irritated with hysteria.

If you are worried about your horse being stolen get it Freezemarked.

I am organising a session in Oxfordshire in February. As usual, many people want to spread stories and fear, a pitifully small number are actually prepared to protect their horses and I do wonder if I am wasting my time.

Cuffey

Visit site
I am sure you are more than aware there is huge complacency out there

Having arranged a Freezemarking session in the past--I had 6 takers (2 were my own horses, 2 a friends)
I can encourage I cant make people spend the money!
I have also arranged a discount on trailer roof marking letters I needed 20 people to order together to get a discount (after a couple of trailers and one lorry stolen in the area) again only about 6 people interested but many responded to say they had already done that. I have 200+ people on an email messaging service for my area

DebbieCG

Visit site
Would be useful to see copy of Surrey police press release, apparently, according to mother_hen:

'I have done some extensive checking.

The intial email relating to Guildford NEVER HAPPENED and is a complete myth, Surrey Police are looking into making some kind of press release to confirm this as the rumours have got competely out of control

Also in NL '

I am also trying to check with mother_hen who she did her extensive checking with. It would be very beneficial to get to the truth of this matter.

DebbieCG

Visit site
One small point though, when you check with the police, you may not speak to the right person - the front desk are not always aware of some incidents that are being dealt with by certain departments.

mother_hen - can you confirm the name (by pm if you like) of the person or department who you spoke to at Guildford police? I can check with them again or try and make a further check with them about it.

Also any press release about it?

Zebedee

Visit site
Debsam as you are relatively new to the forum you won't be aware that Mother Hen is perfectly placed to gain first hand information of this nature!! If M H says it didn't happen then it didn't.

Zebedee

Visit site
As you should now have got my PM you will now know why that is the case !! You may just have to accept that it just didn't happen !!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Debsam as you are relatively new to the forum you won't be aware that Mother Hen is perfectly placed to gain first hand information of this nature!! If M H says it didn't happen then it didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
“It’s called horse tagging and it’s coming up from the south. They are using these horses for racing in Ireland and they are looking for new stock. They race them into the ground and then abandon them or kill them. They are going around looking for horses they can steal.”

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? That is a new one on me.
There are actually plenty of horses already in Ireland to steal or 'race', indeed horses of all types are getting harder and harder to sell and horses are being abandoned at auctions and sales because people can't afford them if they don't sell.
This isn't some sort of Third World country, we have running water and satellite television, as well as quite enough horses to be going on with.

the watcher

Visit site
however I will answer the question
smile.gif

The information was from their central Crime recording resouce, and they did search their records for me to be sure that there was no case that could even be loosely connected to this story

DebbieCG

Visit site
Thanks for your reply mother_hen. However, as there is still a gaping indescrepancy between the fact that you say the central Crime recording resource checked their records and there was ' no case that could even be loosely connected to this story' and Constable Dave Harte's (Shropshire Star) report?

'Constable Harte said one incident had been reported to police in the south of England regarding a horse stolen from a field in Guildford, Surrey. It was later found abandoned at a ferry port in Holyhead destined for Ireland, understood to have been left behind be-cause it was microchipped.'

Where did he get his report from then? Obviously not the central Crime recording resouce! I am trying to contact Dave Harte to check. Also would be interested to check with Guildford or Surrey police about the press release you mentioned

the watcher

Visit site
I suspect he got it from the email that has been circulating on the internet and took it as gospel, in the interests of spreading crime reduction information and when the information appears genuine, misinformation is often accidentally spread. I have seen the same story on Horsewatch bulletins - which is why I decided to check it out.

DebbieCG

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I suspect he got it from the email that has been circulating on the internet and took it as gospel, in the interests of spreading crime reduction information and when the information appears genuine, misinformation is often accidentally spread. I have seen the same story on Horsewatch bulletins - which is why I decided to check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok thanks for your thoughts mother_hen. I will try and check with him if the internet email is the 'source' he got his report from (although he doesn't say it is in the news article). I haven't heard of a policeman taking anything as gospel from the internet though.
shocked.gif

the watcher

Visit site
They will if it is on Horsewatch/Neighbourhood Watch circulations because the source appears genuine.

You often find articles in papers attributed to police officers warning about incidents. Most of the stories, if you look into them, are internet spoofs. some have been genuinely supplied by police staff, some are attributed to officers who either know nothing about them or do not even exist