Plaiting for affiliated dressage (prelim)

Notimetoride

Visit site
Its very low key and in fact as we speak I am the only person in the prelim class. I have a Welsh cob and her mane is thick but she has a gap where there is no mane where I think it has been rubbed by rugs. So plaits would look delightful (??). She has her feathers, so I believe I am not obliged to plait an untrimmed Welsh cob. Will I look daft/lazy if I dont plait her ? This is affiliated I might add so I know there will be some very smart ponies there.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
No rules for dressage that any horse or pony should be plaited :), we have done a couple of classes au natural but mainly due to running late ;).

dressage_diva

Visit site
I use to compete my old boy at BD Prelim and sometimes didn't plait if I didn't have time (and he had neat pulled mane). Didn't ever seem to affect our scores when I compared them to other times we did plait, but I did make sure he was clean (he was a coloured so not an easy job!). Definitely saw plenty of native types that were unplaited too.

If you do decide to plait, don't worry about the missing mane - my WB is the same at the moment and has been competing with missing plaits where his neck cover has rubbed his mane out.

eggs

Visit site
You don't have to plait for BD affiliated but it is customary to do so whatever level you are competing at. It certainly shouldn't affect your marks but having written for a number of judges some do seem to prefer it if you have made the effort.

As dd says, don't worry about the missing bits of mane - it isn't a showing class!

nato

Visit site
-it's not obligatory to be plaited, just be neatly turned out
- natives tend not to be plaited
- no biggie about gaps, most people have them at this time of year

Good luck and enjoy :)

Notimetoride

Visit site
Correct turnout for natives is to not be plaited :)

Yes - this is what I thought. But not everyone seems to be aware of this so Im worried about being looked down on. I know that if i take her feathers off I would really need to plait, but husband is keen on on-hand showing so I have to keep her feathers.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I plait my section d if I have time, and leave her locks flowing if I don't. Makes no difference. Currently at BD novice :)

Brummyrat

Visit site
Don't bother! I used to take my old Welshie dressaging and although he had no feathers he had a mane which flew in the wind and it never affected the mark. Good luck!

pennandh

Visit site
If I have the time, I like to stick a running plait in my Highland's mane for dressage, but we've done it both ways (only unaffiliated thus far, because I'm disorganised, but we'll get around to proper BD one day) and never had any comments on it from the judges.

Go with whatever system you personally think looks best - as long as your steed is reasonably clean and tidy, nobody will mind.

Crackerz

Visit site
I wouldn't plait my Sec D because he has feathers for showing. But i probably would plait my NF as i take his feathers off for showing :)

Moon Dancer

Visit site
There's always one ;-) And I was just thinking I could get away with not plaiting :)

Does your cob have her/his feathers ?

Yes he does have his feathers. I know it's traditional not to plait natives but think the fact you plait for dressage is more traditional than the fact he is native. If that makes sense. I also think it looks smarter. :)

Last edited:

catkin

Visit site
Yes he does have his feathers. I know it's traditional not to plait natives but think the fact you plait for dressage is more traditional than the fact he is native. If that makes sense. I also think it looks smarter. :)

I understand what you mean - though for me the 'nativeness' is the most important factor because I'm proud of my pony's heritage and will always show her as her breed rather than to a discipline norm, as she's first and foremost a Welsh Cob who sometimes goes to play in a dressage arena (amongst other activities).

Moon Dancer

Visit site
I understand what you mean - though for me the 'nativeness' is the most important factor because I'm proud of my pony's heritage and will always show her as her breed rather than to a discipline norm, as she's first and foremost a Welsh Cob who sometimes goes to play in a dressage arena (amongst other activities).

Oh I am also very proud of my Welsh cob being a Welshie. But I also believe the dressage arena is where you show off schooling and breed is kind of irrelevant to this to a point. Where as showing is obviously to show off the breed.

I generally only do dressage as part of eventing and very rarely do it on it's own. Therefore during this time my horse is an eventer who just happens to be a Welsh cob

Kat

Visit site
Just do whatever you feel happiest with. You could plait and have big plaits without affecting the showing for summer or you could go in full native turnout with mane and feathers flowing. You will see both and many other combinations. Hogged cobs and hairy ones, natives and Arabs plaited or unplaited, tiny neat plaits and big dressage plaits some with white bands and even the occasional lazy so and so with an unplaited sport horse!

Kikke

Visit site
There is nnothing reason you should plait. I compete my welsh x clydesdale at BD Elementry and always plait her, she has her feathers etc but as it is not a showing class competing them au natural has noting to do with it.
I feel as bit better plaiting mine because most people do and don't want to feel like to odd one out.