Plaiting Manes-how tight is too tight?

equi2012

Visit site
Hi all,

I’ve been sewing my ponies plaits for about 6 months now, we compete roughly every 2 weeks! When plaiting how tightly do you plait?? I’m worried they are uncomfortable to have in for him, especially if we travel for just under an hour sometimes! I take them out straight after the test and he hasn’t shown any signs of discomfort; never tries to rub them etc. How much feeling do horses actually have in their manes would you say?? I’ve always been told not much but he is my precious ponio! 🙈

I’ll see if I can add a pic of said mane to give you an idea!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Personally Im guilty of not doing them tight enough but Id rather that than them pulling. I guess if you look down when riding and their on a contact, does it look like the hair is being pulled really tight? If so, thats your answer. I definately believe horses have as much feeling in their necks as we would with our hair, if you think that their skin is sensitive enough to feel a fly land on their backs... I dont know why anyone would say a horse doesnt have much feeling there, why on earth wouldnt they? Most horses object to having their manes pulled, the ones that dont have just got used to the pain IMO!

be positive

Visit site
I like to do the plait so the top is fairly loose and allows the neck to move freely, with the actual plait being very tight and stitched in tightly to itself so it doesn't really pull on the neck, I don't like to plait the night before because it must be uncomfortable but many people do.

Visit site
Horses have a lot of feeling in their necks! Same as anywhere else but they have a high pain threshold.

A racehorse that sadly died on the course was taken for a pm at a vet school. The horse was plaited and when they looked at every part of th horse they found a lot of bruising along the crest where the horses mane had been pulled recently and then plaited very tightly. This horse will has been plaited for 3 hours max and with bands.

I hate tight plaits!

There is also a theory that a tightly plaited tail will affect the balance of a horse when jumping. Ginger McCain never let his horses tails be plaited though Donald does. I don't plait them tight - my fingers are too old and stiff to be doing that!

equi2012

Visit site
Okay thanks guys! I always plait on the day and they’re never in for more than 3 hours!! Good to know it’s not just me :)

Floxie

Visit site
I like to do the plait so the top is fairly loose and allows the neck to move freely, with the actual plait being very tight and stitched in tightly to itself so it doesn't really pull on the neck

I do the same - keep the first couple of passes nice and loose at the neck, and then make the plait tight - that way it's only tight against itself, not the neck, but still holds firm.