Plaiting tips?

Hannah♡

Visit site
I'm going to be doing my first dressage show in 2 weeks time and im wondering if anyone has any good tips my loan horse has a very thick long and wiry mane so is there any tips on making it easier for me to plait except pulling his mane or trimming it?
Another question can you put showsheen on manes and tails.

Thankyou :)

oldie48

Visit site
Hi, no expert but if the mane is thick and long I'd just leave it au natural. If plaiting the mane I wouldn't put anything on it that makes it slippy, I wouldn't even wash it unless I had a couple of days or three for it to lose it's slippiness. I wash tails and use a detangler but again if I were plaiting i'd do it a couple of days before. If it's your first test, I would honestly not bother plaiting, nothing looks worse than bad plaits, why not just go out and enjoy yourself without putting any more stress in the mix! good luck and have a lovely time and most of all enjoy your horse whatever the outcome.

ShowJumperL95

Visit site
I used to have a new forest pony who had a long thick mane. I liked to make it look a bit neater for competitions so I used to do a running plait just to tidy it up.

Good luck in your competition :)

mcnaughty

Visit site
I really wouldn't 'just leave it' as someone said above. Plaiting for dressage is part of the uniform and I've known judges add penalties for less! Get yourself some plaiting bands and plaiting spray or even a wet brush and do your best :)

Templebar

Visit site
I would have a go a few times to see how you find it before getting stressed on the day. How long is it?

My welsh used to have a mane of 8 inches or so and i used to plait it fine, it was really silky too. I use the Nettex (used to be lynn russel) plaiting spray which is a bit sticky, however you may prefer without products. Dont add any spray at the time and if you wash it do it a few days before.

If you look up running plait on youtube or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMm5vRVmmdU for neat plaits.

Ceriann

Visit site
I agree with the poster above that dome venues don’t expect it and if it’s likely to stress you doing it it might be easier to flex for the first time. I’ve plaited for all my tests this summer (new to it) but lots of the other competitiors haven’t and I don’t think they’ve been marked down.

If you do want to plait - if it’s real long and thick a running plait is your best option if you’re not prepared to thin out and trim. You could end up with golf balls. A good plaiting spray and comb, lots of bands and time!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I agree with the poster above that dome venues don’t expect it and if it’s likely to stress you doing it it might be easier to flex for the first time. I’ve plaited for all my tests this summer (new to it) but lots of the other competitiors haven’t and I don’t think they’ve been marked down.

you can't be marked down, there are no rules in the book to say you have to plait and no penalties that can be applied if you don't :)

I tend to plait my welshie as she has a hedge of a mane and it falls on both sides. But plenty of people don't and if your horse looks smart and tidy there is no need to do it.
However, if you want to I'd agree with a previous poster that you ought to have a little practice, don't have to do the whole mane just work out what looks best and make sure you will have enough time. I also use a plaiting spray on my horses, I use the NAF one and just find it gives a bit better hold when you have a lot of mane to sort out :)