Please - Brutually honest opinions wanted

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
Put him to sleep now, and he passes on free from pain and suffering, happy and content, calmly and serenly at home in the field.

Wait for him to get worse, and it's just be painful for the pair of you.

I know you wanna keep him, been there, that if you keep him, he may get better, they may find a cure... been there before... but you feel it's right for him, and thats a right enough reason.

LauraBR

Visit site
I wish you hadn't have posted this- although I understand why you have as I would probably have done the same!

I wish you hadn't have posted it because- you have made a hard decision based on the full facts. But you are finding it hard. OF COURSE you are. NONE of us on here understand the full story, none of us have seen him at his worst, NONE of us know you or him at all.

You obviously care a great deal about Sid and I had tears in my eyes reading your first post for that very reason.

I think you have made your decision and the fact that YOU have made it, makes it 110% the right decision. Sid is a lucky boy to have an owner like you.

Sooty

Visit site
Tough one. I think, without wishing to sound harsh, that having made the decision to have him pts, for all the right reasons, then it is better for both of you to go ahead with it. Decide on a date, and stick to it. He has had a wonderful summer, better to go now than to live on with an uncertain future. Also, realistically, it costs as much to keep a bad horse as a good one, and the last thing you want is to become resentful towards him. Not that you would, just that sometimes it is better to make a decision and stick to it.

KatB

Visit site
If he is still happy being a horse, is not going to cost you huge amounts, and is generally in good health, keep him. As HelenShadow said, its not a descision you can go back on, and if he's not in pain, I think he's got the right to carry on just being a horse. Yes he willl go eventually, so will everything, but doesnt mean if hes got the chance of being happy for a while longer, which with being a relatively young and fit horse, even with this injury, he has, I think he should be given the oppurtunity to carry on with life.

Bri

Visit site
Thank you Izt -
I wasn't going to post it purely because I knew that there'd be people saying keep him and others saying put him down. If anything it would only confuse me more - but feeling pretty desperate.

I think the fact that my YO thinks we should give him a chance is one of the hardest things. I'm very concious of what people think of me - and I know everyone on the yard will judge me for having it done when in their eyes it isn't absolutely necessary.

I know at the end of the day it will always be my decision and only mine, just finding it so hard.
frown.gif

Weezy

Visit site
NO Bri - forget other people! And I am sorry but it IS necessary - at some point you WILL have to have him PTS so why not now, with a smie on his face
smile.gif

Seriously honey, I think after all that you have been through you should stick to your plans and feel absolutely calm about your reasons behind them

xxxx

Pidge

Visit site
Oh honey my heart goes out to you. My only advice to you is that you know your horse better than anyone else and to put him first in any decision you make. As I've said before we are kinder to animals than humans as we can take the decision to have them PTS when their quality of life isn't good anymore or to relieve their suffering and pain. Unfortunately we don't have that choice with humans so please please go with your gut instinct and do what you think is best for Sid. You will get loads of advice from all sorts of people but please remember that the decision is yours and whichever one you choose you are the one that has to live with it. I hope this helps in some way. xxx

monica123

Visit site
i think it would be nicer to let him go whilst he is happy, than in the middle of winter, when he is cold, stiff and in pain.....so his last memories will be happy ones, not of pain

frannieuk

Visit site
I've read all the posts, but can only say that I agree with Weezy, and IMO better to remember him happy in the sun than to have to see him go downhill and miserable. I feel hugely for you having to make the decision <hugs>

Tia

Visit site
Aww what an awful dilemma. I fully understand where you are coming from having been in a similar situation last year.

When I had my dilemma last year I had also planned on a date to have one of my mares put to sleep. She was petrified of life! Everything was just too much for her and she existed rather than lived. The strangest thing happened almost immediately after I had set the date - she perked up, she basically completely changed......it was almost as if she knew what I had planned for her and she was telling me that NO this was not her time! To make a long story short, I rehabilitated her to a saleable standard, found the most perfect lady to take over and she now lives a fantastic life riding around wilderness with this lady and her companion pony. She is like a totally different horse now.

Only you know your horse and only you can make the decision. Do you think he is ready to give up? I note your vet has agreed to have him PTS on economic grounds....does this mean he does or doesn't think he should be put down on physical/mental grounds?

I have no idea what to say in regards to the decision you have to make, all I can say is make sure whenever you do it, that it is time not only for you, but also for him.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
We are in a similar situation with our stallion. He eats well, but has definitely stopped charging about and is subdued at times. Last week he was standing with one front hoof balanced on the end, and that decided me. If he is in that sort of pain even now and then it isn't fair to keep him going. The winter will make it worse and so come a nice warm day in October we will have him pts. He will be buried in his own paddock regardless of any beaurocracy, after twenty years, he must count as a pet..
If your horse appears subdued it may be because he is in pain, and even if the YO offers him free turn out there is no guarantee he is not in pain.
In your position I would try and spend a lot of time quietly observing him , as we do Bert. See how often he plays compared to looking miserable, then make your decision.
It's hard I know, we still dither from day to day, but underneath I think we know our horse's time is coming.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
I really feel for you, this is a difficult one - what is your gut feeling? Whatever that is - go for it.

Personally, I would delay having him PTS and would make sure that he was well rugged and fed over the winter months. Keep a VERY close eye on him and at the first sign that his quality of life is suffering have him PTS. I was in a similar situation with my Anglo Arab mare (she broke her leg), she now lives out 24/7 with good rugs in the winter, good quality feed and a joint supplement - she is now 27 and happy as larry - so it can work out.

Go with your instincts - some horses cope and others do not, no one knows your horse better than you do, only you know what is best for your horse.

Good luck with whatever decision you make
xx

clipclop

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
In your position I would try and spend a lot of time quietly observing him , as we do Bert. See how often he plays compared to looking miserable, then make your decision.
It's hard I know, we still dither from day to day, but underneath I think we know our horse's time is coming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that is three of us in this position.
HH, What you have written is so very true.
I think that is what will be happening here. Pick a date and just do it before winter fully kicks in and the misery really starts.

Cheers
C x

Skhosu

Visit site
hmm..TBH if he seems happy and he's not costing you anything livery wise, I would keep him.
You never know, and would you not feel guilty if he could be happy?
Would he not go as a companion on loan if his aggressive issues are sorted? (sorry, don't know what they are!).
I wouldn't PTS personally for money reasons (maybe getting wrong end of the stick...) and reckon, happy, reasonably sound, let him live!

bettens

Hi

Just to add my comiserations.

I have been in a situation a bit similar to this. In the end when I coudn't make a decision I rang around all the sanctuaries, ILPH etc to see if we could find a grazing home. All said the same thing 'put the horse to sleep, it is the kindest thing for her'

I struggled long and hard with concept of PTS when it wasn't a straight forward case. What got me through it was the comments made by the rescue places that it was being done for the right reasons and I shouldn't blame myself.

If you decide to PTS then given the obvious dilema/thoughts you have, you obviously care and if you feel it is in the horses best interest then it is OK. Tough one - good luck.

Rach

dieseldog

Visit site
If he was mine I would have him PTS, before the issue of insurance was involved your vet was saying this is the best route, how does he feel about you not PTS? or if I couldn't face doing it I would sell him to your YO for a £1 so that she owns him and she can then give him the grass livery and if anything happens to him in the future you aren't going to be responsible for him.

Horrible decisions.

Snowberry

Visit site
I've not read all the replies (sorry) but if he was my horse I would PTS
frown.gif

It probably sounds harsh but you're just putting off the inevitable. Not an easy decision to make and I'd hate to be in your shoes but I'd want to do whats best for the horse in the long term
Sorry

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
Please do not give him away or sell him. Passing on responsibility for his welfare is just not acceptable in my opinion. There are too many stories like this that end in tragedy, once you no longer have responsibility for him, he could be sent to market, sold, worked and you would have no control.

TGM

Visit site
I agree with HH - if you do decide not to PTS then he should definitely remain in your ownership so you are in control of his future. Not sure whether you have been on the forum long enough to remember the Bailey saga, but that does illustrate why it is so important to retain ownership of a retired animal.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
What a difficult decision. I had to have Royale PTS earlier in the summer. She had navicular and arthritus. She looked fantastic. She was a good doer and keeping her weight down had always been an issue. Out of work it was nigh on impossible without keeping her cooped up in a dirt patch - no life for my precious girl. I decided quality of life was more important that quantity and there was no way I was going to put her through a winter. I let her out in her normal paddock, buted up to the eyeballs for a couple of happy months then when the bute wasnt making much difference I made the decision.
You always have the what ifs no matter what the reasons but you know deep down what you should do.

Parkranger

Visit site
This is such hard decision but you have to make it for him, not yourself. I know that we all say that we put our horses best interests at heart and because we truly love them we think we do but you have to ask yourself whether he's going to be happy all winter, no exercise, cold and probably getting a bit stiff in the field.

I would personally go for the PTS option.... xxx

Claireg9

Visit site
i tend to lean to keep him alive.. Firstly if you have to ask something tells me his not ready to go yet, or you would just g ahead with it, secondly if he's happy enough your in a financial position to keep him and he's going to be looked after you have to give him the chance to live a happy unridden life!
This is really tough for you and i sympathise, but i just cant see how you cant give him the chance!

Having had a pony for 15 years with the last 11 years loss of use i have had nothing but pleasure out of her, she's enjoyed her life and after having 9 years off she's now able to do some light work which she loves pottering about with kiddies on her, even me from time to time!
She is now costing us money too, but she's happy, how could we take that away from her?
Sorry if i sound harsh but i think you owe him the chance to recover!
Claire x

MillionDollar

Visit site
Everone has got good points, and i really do feel for you, i really do.

But if i was in your situation i would keep him. If he gets worse then you can PTS, but while hes happy and content and you have free keep, why now?
The winter should be no problem if he lived out last winter. It is totally YOUR decision and no one elses opinion should influence you, just go with how you feel!

Hope this helps, Claire
smile.gif

Bri

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your opinions.

Rest assured I would never sell him or give him away to YO or anyone else - he is my responsibility and there is no way I'd just give up on him.

After talking to my mum, vet and YO we've decided to give him until the weather turns. As many people have pointed out, the cold and wet will change things.
At the moment he is happy, and appears relatively pain free - he is not on any bute or medication either. We don't want to leave him until the point he is in pain, rather he'd go happy.

Claireg9

Visit site
ow that is good news! Im dead chuffed he's going to be around for a while longer!
Just put yourself in his situation, would you want to go being relatively pain free, i suspect not, your making the right decision!
Live strong Sid x

Kelly1982

Visit site
I have read this post over and over again and i still dont know what advise to give to you.

What exactly has the vet said?? Has there been any improvement in Sid since he has been living out?? Would it be possible to re-assess in a year or is his riding career finished for good??

If the vet says that there is no chance (not even a slim one) that he will come sound after a long lay off then i would PTS now!!

You are just prolongng the enevitable (sp) and the heartbreak is going to be just as bad, if not worse, if you wait.

He is only 5yo and personally i dont think it will be any life for him stuck out in a feild when he has been used to being handled and ridden regulary etc.

This may sound harsh but i think i would do it now to get it over and done with so that you can start to grieve and move on.

Stasha22

Visit site
Really feel for you, it is an incredibly difficult decision to make, and only you can make it.

However, having been there myself, I would lean towards waiting for Sid to let you know when he is ready.

My mare was diagnosed with severe injuries in her left foreleg (wont go into details, will take forever!), but basically the Vet advised me to PTS as they didn't think she would ever be sound and have any quality of life.

Selfishly, I couldn't give up on her (she was only 5 at the time and I had just lost my other mare, Ellie, and couldn't bear to lose Lottie so soon) so I decided to see how things went.

2 years down the line she is sound and has the life of riley. My Vet cannot belief what a fantastic recovery she has made.

I know the circumstances are different but I am so glad I stuck by her, despite being told to do the contrary.

You will know when the time is right, they have a way of telling us when they have enough.

Good luck and I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the right one.