Please help save London's largest farm/ home to 70 horses.

ruthb

Visit site
A planning application to build a golf course in Edgware, north London, has just been lodged. It would be on a Green Belt site currently used to grow crops and keep horses. This is despite the fact that there are 22 golf courses within a five mile radius of the area. There is a livery yard there with 70+ horses who enjoy the rare treat of off road hacking and 24-hour turnout in London. If this goes ahead Bury Farm, which is a lovely oasis for horse loving city dwellers, will be ruined and its hard to imagine what will happen to all the horses, many of whom are retired having lived there all their adult lives. We are campaigning to save it and would be SO GRATEFUL if you'd spare 2 minutes to look at our petition and sign it if you agree: http://petitions.barnet.gov.uk/SaveBuryFarm/

Thank you for reading. xx

Bigbenji

Visit site
Is Bury Farm not Privately owned tho? I would of thought it was down to the owners who they sell to not Barnet? They already seem to have sold off land for housing. Correct me if I'm wrong and I hope I am :/
But agree it would be such a shame to loose such a stunning farm :(

Steorra

Visit site
Signed. My boy is one of the retired horses living at Bury Farm. He has specific turnout needs that would be very hard to meet elsewhere in London, and I honestly don't know how I'd manage him if these plans were to go ahead. It is a heartbreaking prospect - I thought he had a secure and happy home for his final years.

Thanks so much to everyone who has signed so far. If you are reading this post then please take a minute to add your name xx

khalswitz

Visit site
Also nowhere near you but signed - I remember living in London and the lack of horses was horrendous! Hope you save it. Is it a forced purchase order you're fighting?

Steorra

Visit site
Thanks Khalswitz.

I'm nowhere near as clued up as RuthB, who will hopefully correct me if I've got confused. So far as I know, the land is privately owned, but is leased (some as part of the stable yard and some to a farmer as arable land). I understand that the golf club developers will take over the lease if they get permission for their plans. The petition is objecting to the planning application. Hope that makes sense!

ruthb

Visit site
Sarah is absolutely right. The actual yard is private but all our fields (off road hacking and 24 hour turnout in summer, a real London rarity) are leased. The golf club has negotiated a long lease on the land subject to planning permission. So we will have our stables - but nowhere to ride and our horses will be trapped in their stables. We have horses which are in their thirties and have lived at Bury all their adult lives. Sarah's horse is a darling and thoroughly deserves to enjoy a lovely long semi retirement. Goodness knows what will happen to the really old ones, as you'd have to think whether it was fair putting them through the stress of a move. Its really heart-breaking. We are a great community and are SO GRATEFUL to you for signing our petition. The local residents are also very anti this proposal as they use our farm track freely for walks/birdwatching etc. And they cannot believe how many people have signed on just the first day of the petition, which runs til next October (I know it looks like it runs out today but its October 2014 ...)And this is the link again (sorry to be pushy):

http://petitions.barnet.gov.uk/SaveBuryFarm/