Please help save London's largest farm/ home to 70 horses.

Mithras

Visit site
Signed. Once the countryside is gone, its gone forever. This isn't just about a livery yard, but losing a precious piece of rural history which reminds us what London was once like.

ruthb

Visit site
Its a very good point that this isn't just about a livery yard; this land has Roman remains, is a bird spotter's paradise with hobbies, kestrels, skylarks, buzzards, is where locals walk their dogs, run, ride their bikes; we love riding there and they love to have the horses around them. Can't imagine the suburban families who walk there have a lot of chance to see horses close up. There is a farmer whose livelihood will be lost, not to mention our yard owner who will be in trouble, which will impact on vets, farriers and so on because its such a big yard, we have protected species of bats, badgers, ancient hedgerows. You name it, and it'll all get torn up and turned into an entirely man made landscape of sand bunkers and water features ....

Last edited:

JenJ

Visit site
Signed.

Ruth, have a quick google of Longshot and Cherkley Court - a planned golf course down the road from me was granted pp and work commenced, but on appeal recently they were turned down, in part due to the overwhelming number of golf courses already in Surrey.

It made the news partly as tennis player Andy Murray was an investor. There may be something useful in that case for you. Good luck :)

madmav

Visit site
I have signed, and have shared your petition thread on Hertfordshire Horseriders on Facebook. Very good luck. Let us know how it goes and if you need any more help.

Mynyddcymro

Visit site
Signed. Unfortunately we lost our fight against a huge 700+ housing estate going up surrounding the (small, family owned) yard I keep my ponies at. They start building next year. Fingers crossed you get to keep what sounds like a lovely area!

OrangePepper

Visit site
I used to hack from Totteridge/Mill Hill down the A41 and then along Edgewarebury Lane and past the stables and then across the M1 motorway bridge on my way to Brickets Wood. Fail to understand why they need any more gold clubs specially at the expense of an equestrian facility.

Tickles

Visit site
It may be worth appealing directly to the College who own the land... they have both a long history themselves and a strong academic interest in history. Google will find you details - can't post from phone.

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
If I lived nearer I would door knock all the locals and bring it to their attention. You need as much local support as possible. Can you get any papers or radio stations involved? Just letting them know might help your cause. Good luck!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Signed. Good luck.

If you use google maps and type in golf clubs nearby to Bury Farm, the blooming things pop up all over the place. There's loads of them.

Steorra

Visit site
Thanks so, so much to everyone who has signed the petition. It is great to read about your views and experiences too, and we'll definitely look into some of the suggestions made above.

Please keep the signatures coming! We have made huge progress already with almost 600 names, but we are hoping for several thousand, so keeping up momentum is really important. Here is the link again:

http://petitions.barnet.gov.uk/SaveBuryFarm/

Thanks again! Can't tell you how grateful and impressed I am by the level of response so far.

dizz4

Visit site
already signed, who needs another bloody golf course, all I can think of when I see a golf green is that it would look so much better with some hoof prints running across it....!!!