Please keep your fingers crossed - colic surgery

Bearsmum

Visit site
Don't quite know what to say other than wishing you all the very best. I really hope George pulls through, you must be absolutely exhausted.

All my healing vibes heading your way.

JDx

Splishsplash

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

He has improved quite a bit over the last 24 hours :). We've been told he has an absolute marathon ahead of him and there are so many hurdles which could cause total disaster at any point...starting to reflux again, not coping with re-introduction of food and drink, liver damage from not having eaten for so long, infection, laminitis, the list goes on.... For now, though, I am focussing on the fact that he has had the reflux tube of doom out since midnight and has coped so far (previously they had been getting up to 14 litres of stomach fluid out of him every 2 hours).

He had a little drink last night, the first in a week, and did a poo on the vet (we can't read too much into the poo-ing as it's just old stuff from his large intestine when his problem was higher up the digestive tract in the small intestine). The first major hurdles he needs to get over are not refluxing again and coping with the re-introduction of food and drink. He is being taken out to hopefully have a very quick graze in hand this morning. He hasn't eaten in over a week now and has lost a staggering amount of weight in that time so this is a major test. Please everyone keep crossing your fingers that he wants to eat and that his stomach and guts can cope with him starting to eat and drink.

Who knows what ups and downs we have ahead of us, but for now the emotional rollercoaster goes on. What a horse I have!

Nicnac

Visit site
Just caught up and things seem to have gone from hopeful to no hope back to hopeful which is fabulous news. Where there's life there's hope and George is a fighter.

Hang in there and everything crossed that he comes good x

emsley

Visit site
Great news that the wonderful George is still with us. What a fighter!
Fingers crossed that the improvement continues.
Hugs to you xxx

Mildred

Visit site
I only just read through your thread - poor you and poor horse, what a traumatic time. Hope he continues to pull through :)

meesha

Visit site
go George !!!!!!!! I have been checking back frequently just hoping there was good news !

What a fighter. Keep up the good work George !