Please, please pray for my boy :-'(

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Vet been and Goliath definately has purpura haemorrhagica, basically a very severe allergic reaction to infection...one of his lumps has been lanced, no pus, just blood...more like a tumour. Vet has taken a sample but is now confident its nothing to do with strangles...more injections given. He can hardly stand bless him, if no improvement by morning then Im going to have to say goodbye to him, devastated and heart broken. I cant even think of life without him :-'(

Gingerwitch

Visit site
You poor poor thing - how long has he been poorly ?

Thank god they have ruled out strangles becuase of your others - but have the vet said what has caused the infection ?

Chin up, be strong for him tonight - are you allowed to stay with him ?

be positive

Visit site
I am sorry to hear this, I had a horse at livery years ago that had the same condition, I nursed him for a week but sadly nothing could be done, I was hoping your horse did not have it, thinking of you and your boy xx

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I still have him at home, he cannot walk far enough to be moved anywhere. He lives out and it would stress him greatly to be confined in a stable etc so the vet said allow him to just be as thats where he is happiest. I will be with him most of the night. Goliath has a few little cuts (and I mean little) inside his back legs, the vet said just those could have caused an infection enough to set off an allergic reaction :(
I cannot even say how devastated I am, yes there is hope but the vet said to prepare for the worst.

Pipkin

Visit site
Think positive :)
I thought I was going to lose my mare last week but thankfully she came out of hospital Thursday.
Will keep everything crossed for you xx

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Have a hug honey - I am filling up on your behalf - try and get an hour now - your in for a long night - ask the vet for contact numbers.. sorry but the more your prepared for the worse the more it hopefully wont happen - and dont try and nurse him all on your own !.

I just hope and pray that he takes a turn for the better - can you make a bit of a shelter for him and you from the weather out of some straw bales ?

God luck, god bless

GW
x

p.s. vets often tell you that - they have too as if they give you too much hope and it goes wrong then they feel much much worse than if youve been prepared for the worse and they recover x

be positive

Visit site
Obviously he is bleeding into the skin. Can he not have a blood transfusion from one of your others?

The horse I had with it was too far gone, it came on very slowly before being diagnosed, the only treatment that was possibly available was a complete blood transfusion but the owner felt it was not fair to send him to hospital for the treatment.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
The horse I had with it was too far gone, it came on very slowly before being diagnosed, the only treatment that was possibly available was a complete blood transfusion but the owner felt it was not fair to send him to hospital for the treatment.

This^^
We briefly talked of this but my vet felt it wouldnt be fair as he is very poorly and the prognosis is poor. However, should (by some miracle) he pick up by tomorrow then ANYTHING I can do I will.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site

My sister's horse very recently was found collapsed in the field and when bloods were taken, iron levels were less than ten and so vet realised he had internal bleeding. She took 3 litres of blood from one of her other horses and transfused him. This was enough to get him back on his feet and into the barn where he was cross tied and nursed. Thankfully he has made a full recovery, and we do not know what caused the internal bleeding as there wasn't a mark on him! But just wanted to suggest a blood transfusion for the OP's horse as it CAN be done on site.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
This^^
We briefly talked of this but my vet felt it wouldnt be fair as he is very poorly and the prognosis is poor. However, should (by some miracle) he pick up by tomorrow then ANYTHING I can do I will.

Let's hope he pulls through. I would probably want him transfused at home, but it may be that the amount he needs is too great to do this.