PLEASE READ!!!

D66

Visit site
I'd support a "reclaim the lanes" campaign with a mass ride along country lanes used as commuter rat runs. I can (mostly) stay off the main roads but would like to share the lanes I have to use with careful drivers.

bonny

Visit site
I'd support a "reclaim the lanes" campaign with a mass ride along country lanes used as commuter rat runs. I can (mostly) stay off the main roads but would like to share the lanes I have to use with careful drivers.

Surely all that would do is annoy car drivers, which has the opposite effect of what you are trying to achieve.

MSS

Visit site
Never seen the BHS advert on TV and it is a shame as I think it is very good!

I know what you are saying about claiming back lanes, but I do think that it would just make drivers more annoyed with riders, were as I think with more positive and informative actions are more likely to make them think of us in good light. More nice and considered we are more likely they will be nice and considered back. And there will always be those who couldn't care less either way we go about it, but I still think it is worth to try! :)

MSS

Visit site
I am also going to ask if three mobile would like to help maybe their dancing pony 'socks' would like to educate people... ;)

ex racer rider

Visit site
You know what would be really good (maybe a bit too harsh but hey ho!) a view from the riders hat cam (staged obviously) where they are riding along a road and a driver starts being a d!ck, horse spooks and the rider falls and then the final view before the video fades is a picture like the rubys dead one or the horse through the windscreen of the car and then some info like hand signals etc.
So similar to the think bike ones

hayley.t

Visit site
I know it was a horrific picture but I thought the one of the horse through the windscreen really hit home. I think maybe seeing it from the angle that the horse and rider might not be the only ones to get hurt might make people who think its funny to scare horses stop laughing. Not that I have really come across anyone like this and it is probably bravado but hearing about facebook pages set up by these people really p****s me off!

MSS

Visit site
Thank you all for your contribution!

Unfortunately I will have to take a short break from this as my grandmother is not well. :(

I will most definitely carry on with this as soon as I can, and will keep you all posted!

Any good ideas - please carry on posting them or PM me!

tiggybeans

Visit site
I think this is a great idea. About 15 years ago someone I used to work with set up a road safety charity called Brake, after her mother was killed by a lorry. It's now a massive charity and has done fantastic things to promote road safety.

Might be worth contacting them, or at least looking at their website www.brake.org.uk.

To my mind there seems to be a real arrogance amongst drivers now, that there wasn't before. They all think they have sole right to the road and anything else on the road that hasn't got an engine is an inconvenience and an obstruction.

People also don't understand that animals can be unpredictable, and when you slow cars & lorries down it's as much for the vehicles safety as yours.

And no, the majority don't understand basic hand signals - they either think I am waving to them if I signal stop, or that I am turning right if I signal for them to slow down...

On the Hoof

Visit site
Hi have you seen that BHS are working with a road safety org to produce a leaflet for horse riders and motorists alike....details under news section of BHS site. I noted that Dragons Den lady ...Deborah ?? (Sorry forgot her name) was supporting this... She would have money and knowledge to help with a campaign for a tv ad??? Just an idea ..

1stclassalan

Visit site
Hi Katie,

Thank you for your reply! :) I have contacted BHS and they are talking about it and will get back to me soon. I think the problem has been in the past that there wasn't enough funding, but I am hoping that if we can get enough money together we can target better times - also I am hoping that just creating the campaing I can draw more attention to this important cause thru peoples friends and family! :)

Personally, I've found the BHS's attitude very laxed - they also advocate deliberately placing horse's in danger - to"block" drivers from simply whizzing by - but that won't stop the determined and annoys all the others.

It's almost twenty years since I took a horse out and it was bad enough then - nowadays I think it's probaby too dangerous to even think about it.