Please take part in my Hi viz and road safety survey.

babymare

Visit site
ok ok it hates me - i can write in "other"boxes but cant tick anything - but if helps i do wear hi vis and cannot understand people who dont - winter spring summer or autumn - FFS its not only your horse but your life to :) good luck and hope you get people thinking hun xx

potty_4_piebalds

Visit site
I have just done it :) I was hacking my friends horse out on tuesday morning along a nice quiet road when a woman pulled out of her drive without looking and nearly hit us lucky she was just coming out of her drive and not going very fast otherwise a dread to think what might of happened, and yes I was wearing hi-viz on a big shireX so how she didn't see us until late I don't know.

Last edited:

cindydog

Visit site
Done, I wear hi viz and my mare has the leg bands on and sheet on, everytime we go on hack even if off road as no matter we have to cross road by field to get anywhere.

Kat

Visit site
Done, I always were hi-viz when leaving the yard. I'd just like to point out though that it isn't just about when you ride. People round our way always hack in high viz but a yard down the road have some fields that are over the road and they have to lead the horses a short distance down the road and cross the road to turn out. It can be very difficult to see them when the light is fading, i wish they would wear hi-viz, it would enable me to stop or slow down much earlier, a few times I have had to really slam on because i haven't been able to see them.

Jzee

Visit site
I've done too (your signature thing makes me laugh every time I see it!)!

While driving to work the other morning - I nearly didn't spot 3 horses riding 3 abreast with no tabbards on. Nice low sun and big dark hedges, bit of water on the road and 3 brown horses with riders wearing dark clothing ...

The other thing about roads is - how many of you get overtaken on blind bends?? Makes me feel a bit sick. Which way is the car going to swerve when he meets something coming the other way... its only a few minutes longer to wait til you can see. They wouldn't overtake a car or a tractor so why overtake a horse?

Sadly I feel there are bad drivers out there that give drivers a bad name and I think there are bad rider road users out there that give riders a bad name! As a driver I get cross when I don't even get a nod of thanks for slowing down - I know you can't take your hands off the reins sometimes, but I always manage to nod and smile.

nicolenlolly

Visit site
When out riding, I only used to wear a tabard, I thought that it would be enough but in light of all the posts on the lounge regarding this, I have bought the other bits and bobs. I did struggle to find the POLITE stuff but if you go to Cavaletti Clothing, the lady is so helpful and their bits are really reasonably priced, defo worth a recommendation!

riding_high

Visit site
done it.

i wanted to ride my horse and after tacking him up i thought i'd go for a mooch down the road but was peed off that i didn't put his flourescent sheet on, a friend said i could borrow hers (didn't need to take saddle off to put on) so i begrudgingly did (it was a bright pink one!), just to add my horse is a chestnut gelding! anyway when i got back to the yard another livery pulled in behind us (i met a few others) and said that she spotted the pink sheet from a mile away as she came round the corner, she had to get alot closer before seeing the other horses who were in the green/yellow sheet.

made me think about getting a pink sheet for him even if it does look very stupid with his colour but before i got round to buying one he was retired!