Please talk some sense into me.

frazzled

Visit site
After keeping horses for many years growing up with them and then with my daughter from mini pony club through to BE , sold everything horses, lorry, rugs ,tack about 4 years ago when said child left for uni. Husband breathed a huge sigh of relief.
Fast forward to now. I have developed an unhealthy ( for bank account) obsession with polo and am considering horse ownership again. The problem is I know it will not stop at one pony as two is the bare minimum I would need even though I only play at a very low level and have no desire to move beyond this. Although I ride regularly I miss the caring for the horse and building a relationship with an animal. I would also like to be able to do more than just play as that is all I do atm.
Please tell me I am bonkers to be considering horse ownership again, I have realised how stressful having them can be after a few years horse free, I hadn’t realised how much of an underlying low level anxiety I had when owning them.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i gave up last september due to my physical problems and age as i couldnt afford to pay someone to do the hard work, i was fine grooming,tacking up and riding but the other tasks like poo picking and mucking out and carrying heavy water buckets was killing me..i miss the whole enjoyment of having a horse and if i won the lottery would have another straight away so i am the wrong person to advise.

if you are young enough and can afford it, then go for it, :) there will be a time when you cant and you will regret not going for it now....

Orchard14

Visit site
Sorry, no sense here. Buy the horse, two is fine but three is a magic number. But it's also an odd number so why not round it up to four?
I'm really the wrong person to respond to this but in all seriousness. My mother always told me that time spent wishing is time wasted, and that no woman ever laid on her death bed wishing she had had fewer horses in her life....:D

frazzled

Visit site
You are all leading me astray, I came on here to get a balanced view 😜
I shall put the blame firmly on you all when discussing it with husband. They made me do it .

VRIN

Visit site
Get your arguments sorted before the conversation .... you need an interest, its good for your health, keep you fit ... and maybe hubby could join you....

frazzled

Visit site
Why would you need a minimum of two to play polo

Need two because you can only play each pony for two chukkas max and matches are more than that, I would still have to hire a pony as well even with two, and one of my reason for having my own ponies is that I have got a lot fussier about the type of pony I like to ride in my old age 😀😀

Last edited:

Alibear

Visit site

I'm 100% with you on getting fussy about the horses I like to ride as I get older. Unfortunately that does mean they are more expensive.

[139672]

Visit site
Another pet instead? I have a dog now and he’s great fun. We go to obedience training, I think he’d be great at flyball and agility but I don’t have time to put in all the training for those. He’s a poodle and needs clipping and grooming which I do myself. Clipping and grooming on a much smaller scale than a horse! :)

monte1

Visit site
I would say go for it, have had horses most of my life, did the whole PC thing and various ponies for my daughter, now enjoying having this horse just for myself at age 50 years young, In fact I would be the worst person to advise you not to go for it, I now have a foal due from a lovely friends super mare next April so will have two horses again, all being well, this time next year and will be rather much older when I come to back,ride and hopefully compete, said horse- you only live once :)