please watch these vids of my horse being lunged, I don't know what's wrong with him!

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
I haven't had time to read all the posts, just in my lunch break - but I wondered if anyone had suggested laminitis?
I realise you have said no heat no pulses etc but if I were you I would try taking him off the grass, soaked hay only no feeds, and have blood tests done for PPID as soon as possible. Sorry if this has already been done but he just looks all over uncomfortable to me and the spooking is him shouting "I'm not feeling well - get me out of here"
If that comes up normal (I'll be surprised if it does at his age though)
then as suggested before, perhaps the colic episode is still there and he needs more time, being as he's older now.
I would also do a worm count and blood test for tape worm, these can cause colic - unless this has been done again sorry don't rely on just worming him because if he is PPID, he may have no resistance to them and wormers don't always work, as I found out with my 20 y.o. He had a high worm burden despite always being wormed with the yard programme and he was later found to be PPID. Good luck with your lovely boy ;);)

I was going to suggest doing a cushings test as footyness/lami can be triggered by this. He looks generally lethargic? Is he anaemic? I would get bloods run and give him a rest

binkymerlin

Visit site
The pain is in his back. I would suggest a bone scan and blood test. And brace yourself for he may have to be retired. Working him on the lunge is a no no. I understand you had to have a look. With the tripping I would say its the onset of arthritis. Just rest him up and give him lots of TLC. He may still be recovering from the aftermath of colic. And please get a decent EQUINE VET with a good track record. I am by no means a vet/expert this is just what I have seen experienced in the horse world. Sorry you are going thru this it sucks when we don't know what's wrong with them. just hang in there :)

sophiebailey

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your help. Vet is watching videos and reading my e-mail tonight and calling me tomorrow to discuss plan of action.

To re-iterate, I wasn't looking for an online diagnosis, I was looking for opinions on where I should go and what I should try. I now have a wealth of ideas to present to the vet and can do my best to ensure every box is ticked and no hoof left unturned.

Thank you all again, you've been a great help xx

HashRouge

Visit site
Yes I'm sure we'd all love to know what the problem actually is! Make sure you mention everything that you've mentioned on here to the vet, so the general lethargy, the tripping, the work on the pelvis etc. Hopefully it will be something that's easily managed :)

sophiebailey

Visit site
I'm hoping so. My friend (who herself has an arthritic veteran) came to look at him today, noticed stiffness in his right hind but she said she didn't think its sinister. He was also much happier to trot today (only in straight lines we didn't lunge him) and only tripped once.

Will still obviously wait for vets advice! X

cyberhorse

Visit site
I watched the videos and it struck me that I have had similar albeit slightly milder symptoms with a 13yr old and all who saw him said he was fine (vet/farrier/back/teeth etc). I accepted he was just getting on a bit and had been competed heavily before I had him so it was probably a bit of this catching up with him.

I swapped farriers a couple of months later and I was asked how long he had been suffering from thrush in his heels. There was no smell and nothing specific to see, but he had an infection deep in the heel bulbs. His only symptoms were being a bit more shuffly (depending upon ground and particular day) and tripping just as on your video, he could also very occasionally shoot forwards (possibly when he had put too much pressure through his heel and hurt it). I felt awful for missing this even though a previous farrier and vet had missed it! I got a equine vet out from a different practice and she said he had gradually adjusted how he went to keep weight off sore areas (his heels) and hence was seemingly becoming "stiff" with this odd adjusted gait. Luckily my horse improved rapidly but I was told that metabolic disorders can often show up first in the feet e.g. insulin resistance.

I really think a second vet opinion is a good idea, I learned the hard way that they can miss things.

Last edited:

sophiebailey

Visit site
Vet has watched video's and is coming for a lameness workup on Friday :) I will ask vet when she calls back to arrange a time but in your opinion would you say keeping him walking out on a gentle hack (10minute walks) each day is a good idea or leave him in the field? Don't want him to get stiff but don't want to make it worse!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Vet has watched video's and is coming for a lameness workup on Friday :) I will ask vet when she calls back to arrange a time but in your opinion would you say keeping him walking out on a gentle hack (10minute walks) each day is a good idea or leave him in the field? Don't want him to get stiff but don't want to make it worse!

Leave him in the field. He will then be free to move about how and when he wants to.

mulberrymill

Visit site
He definately doesnt look right on either rein , seems to be coming from the inside hind leg on both reins. He is also "wobbly" muscle wise, so the muscles arent working properly in that area on either rein. Definately a vets opinion is needed. Spooks are often down to pain or anticipated pain

Visit site
Hi, what a shame you're having problems he looks a lovely type. I would say his age is a factor though. i had a shire x mare who developed a slight lameness behind which was the horse equivalent of a 'slipped disc' Had to retire her from riding and after six months or so she began tripping in front, could not hold herself up this was down to the back problem. your boy does not look this bad yet tho, but it does seem as tho pain is the reason for his behaviour, as we know it is natural for them to 'run away' from pain. Also does he head shake ? This can also manifest into spooking, and a feeling like you would want to get his eyes tested. I personally would not ride him at the moment, I would be worried he could trip or bolt with you on board. good luck.

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
What would make people think he has cushings? He displays no signs other than tripping, nor any signs of lami?

A friends horse had cushings and first signs was being a bit off an stuff followed by lami. First test came back negative and second came back positive (she demanded the second). Its very common with older horses and is always something worth checking. I do think the horse should also be tested for anaemia

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
What would make people think he has cushings? He displays no signs other than tripping, nor any signs of lami?

Just because he is 20 it is worth looking into in the presence of other issues. My guys only signs were slighty footy no in any way lame and his mud fever taking ages to heal up. It wasn't normal for him and cushings can exacerbate existing conditions and affect healing etc.

crabbymare

Visit site
While I am normally against doing anything in the way of work with a horse thats not right its worth having a chat with the vet as sometimes they like the horse to have light exercise in the days before a workup so that that whatever is causing the problem shows up more easily. does not mean work them hard but sometimes if its nothing obvious wrong and the horse is rested nothing shows when the vet is there.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
While I am normally against doing anything in the way of work with a horse thats not right its worth having a chat with the vet as sometimes they like the horse to have light exercise in the days before a workup so that that whatever is causing the problem shows up more easily. does not mean work them hard but sometimes if its nothing obvious wrong and the horse is rested nothing shows when the vet is there.

Actually that is a good point. My friend who had a very similar horse in looks and symptoms was asked to lunge him every day to aggravate the lameness. He was diagnosed with arthritis in front and behind as well as being a shiverer.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
OP regarding Cushings. My mare had no symptoms at all until she came down with laminitis at Christmas. Her coat is normal. She does not have the typical dipped back or pot belly.

SnowPhony

Visit site
I've not read all responses so sorry if this has already been said but it looks to me as though his back end goes slightly immediately before he spooked on the left rein. Somethings not quite right, hope the vet can get to the bottom of it for you.

Skipadeedooda

Visit site
Hi, this looks similar to my horse who was diagnosed with bone spavin in both back legs when he was quite young but he didn't have any obvious inflammation or swelling. The first visible sign was his back went as he had been compensating for the spavin and had caused strain to his sacriollic joint. He didn't even show any lameness or much stiffness when trotting up etc wasn't diagnosed until we got x-rays showing one hock had fully fused and the other was partial.

Now 20 years old, when he has shown very similar symptoms and behaviour as your horse it has been his artritis playing up and putting a strain on his back. I have managed this successfully for many years by keeping him in work and when he looks sore in his back I have used magnetic rugs and I just wallked him in hand instead of riding. When his back goes though he does tend to need an anti-inflammatory such as danillon for a few days then I can get him back in work. I think on average he's shown these symptoms maybe once a year if that.

Good luck with your horse, please keep us posted.

sophiebailey

Visit site
Vet watched vids and said somethings deffo not right but wants to do a full lameness workup on Friday.

Took the Bailster out for a walk in hand tonight and he seemed a bit chirpier, still stiff but was tracking up and striding out quite nicely so that's made me feel a bit more positive. Hopefully vet can shed some light!!

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Glad you've got your vet on board and I wish you lots of luck for Friday, really hope it's something simple and can be easily fixed for you both. Let us know how you get on. :) x

EmmasMummy

Visit site
This might sounds daft, but did the vet do the blindfold thingy? I ask as that is how my gelding used to walk, with teh tripping as well. It turned out to be something neurological in the end.

Sorry that sounds soo doom and gloom, but please do get the vet to check! We had who was meant to be one of the best horsey vets round here..........and he thought it was colic and he was just stiff behind!

muff747

Visit site
DSC01989.jpg

Q. Do you think my boy has Cushings?
A. Yes he has, was diagnosed 2009 aged 21 after footiness/tripping/stumbling, skin infections, lethargy and depression.

Last edited: