Pm me for price poa aargh

w1bbler

Visit site
Why not put a price in adverts? I'm not looking for a world beater, budget could stretch to £3k, just want something to hack & pop the odd jump. I can't tell from your ad, with a few pictures of a fluffy black & white cob, that you think it's a hoys prospect & want offers over £5k.
When I politely respond with sorry over budget, why am I the time waster - you wasted time for both of us by omitting price from your ad...

Equi

Visit site
Most people I know that do this do it cause they don't want people knowing their business - aka they don't want people saying don't be ridiculous that horse is not worth XXX

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I never respond to POA ads on principle. I also wish people would put the basics - age, height, sex, level of training - rather than "affectionate" and a fuzzy picture of it head on and wearing a rug, and/or lying down.

GeorgioHFD

Visit site
This drives me mad and I completely overlook ads that have POA. Especially when they respond to the question 'what price are you asking?' With 'What's your budget?' Just makes me think they are giving different prices to different people or I'm going to seriously offend them by assuming their horse may be within my budget when its only half of what they are wanting.

I possibly overlooked a lot of good ones when I was looking by ignoring the POA ads but it just puts me off.

conniegirl

Visit site
Well those of you that ignore POA adverts are missing out.
My best pony ever was POA!

He was schooling advanced medium, won tons in the show ring, was a purebred Dun Connemara and was an all round lovely pony. As you can imagine phoning up about him was rather daunting but I did.
The lady who owned him just wanted a really good long term home and not have dealers or dreamers turning up and trying to make a quick £.
he was £1600

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It annoys me too. I think they are sussing people out and asking the price they think they might get from each person. That's the impression it gives me in any case. If looking, I would discount those ads unless I had a gut feeling about the horse.

Frumpoon

Visit site
I sort of get that for some owners home is more important than price but when you have POA on Horseboxes, saddles and other inanimate objects it's just silly

VikingSong

Visit site
I have bought a horse that had POA in the advert, but I can see why potential buyers would find it annoying. Pictures of headless riders standing on their horses backs in adverts drives me up the wall.

BSL

Visit site
I can't really see what the problem is. There are so many nosey people out there, it might weed the wheat from the chaff a little.

Edited to add i wouldnt want to be labeled a time waster though if out of budget. Thats unfair

Last edited:

Bessi

Visit site
I hate this but was part of an interesting discussion on Facebook about it where a seller pointed out that if you put POA then you get more comments asking for price which means the post gets seen by more people on Facebook. I hadn't thought of it that way - still irritates the hell out of me though as is a waste of time for both vendor and purchaser.

zoelouisem

Visit site
I didn't put a price on my daughters last pony as i didn't want my whole friends list knowing when I advertised her on Facebook!! She was out of budget for some people enquiring. But she also sold within 3/4 days and had others lined up to see her!! She was an pony expensive.
When I started looking for the next pony I also didn't want the whole world knowing how much I had to spend!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Agree that PM'ing for price is Sooooo flippin' infuriating and wastes everyone's time.

If you go into a shop or what-have-you, then surely you only look at the goods you can afford. Ditto horses, no point shopping for stuff outside your price bracket. This really annoys me, also to have to ask for where the horse is located.

H&H classified's section infuriates me greatly too in that not all ad's have the location on them either. No point if you live down the Sharp End and see the horse of your dreams "Ooop North".

sarahann1

Visit site
A few weeks ago I'd have joined the 'it's really annoying side' but a friend of mine is now selling the odd seriously good horse and never puts the price. I can see both sides of the coin now.

That said, I'd probably never enquiry about a POA because I go with if you have to ask you can't afford it.

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
I'd only see the point of POA on a horse that was expensive. If not surely a rough asking price ("Priced in the 3-5k bracket, inquire further if interested") would be more useful whilst still vague enough?

Sorry to hijack but I spend a long time looking at adverts in advance and the amount of horses ridden into an incorrect "outline" is astounding. There's one dealer that advertises on here (no names mentioned) often in the promoted ads, where the rider is hunched forward in almost every single ad, almost like a light seat but sat, working the horse into an "outline".

Amye

Visit site
This annoyed me too when I was looking! I always scroll by things that state POA, I just assume I can't afford it!

Maesto's Girl

Visit site
Same here. POA to me means don't ask. I can see why some sellers do it though.

I had a budget of £2k for my current mare (vetting tomorrow....EXCITED) and I just assumed that most POA's would be above that...more around the £5k upwards mark.

If you do put a POA on an ad though, no need to be rude on response! Different area entirely but when I went wedding dress shopping and told the store my budget, they said to me "now, are you sure as you don't want to say something you can't afford"! Accompanied by a "look" I can only describe as rude. That irked me beyond belief! For me POA could have a similar response sometimes - like don't bother applying if you don't have a decent budget! I didn't buy from that store btw!

smja

Visit site
There are two types of POA: very expensive, and much cheaper than it should be (i.e. conniegirl's situation, where owner wants a long term home not someone looking to make a profit).

I can understand both, though I do get annoyed if there's not enough info in the ad to accurately the rough bracket they're after. If they've also missed off things like height, age, sex, then I assume the seller is an idiot and don't bother :D

chased by bees

Visit site
I often wonder when they don't put the price and other key bits of information down what exactly there trying to hide. An advert with minimal information would be a good way of trying to sell a horse with a problem. Minimal details mean they could sell on with no come back for the new owner in court.
If it was an ad for a sofa and it said POA, you'd just laugh and scroll past knowing it's a scam. What makes it different in the case of a horse?
Wouldn't touch a POA horse with a ten foot barge pole.

Batgirl

Visit site
Another angle is the young horse being produced - the price changes as the horse gets more experienced. Also for breeders they might give different prices - if yu are a top rider who is going to get the horse out and about and essentially advertise the stud - might be a bit cheaper. If you are buying for local competing it is less of an investment so they might charge a little more.

That said I know someone advertising POA on a couple of youngsters and I have advised not to - even putting a range 4-6000 depending on development at time of sale would be better IMO

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
How timely a thread! Was having this exact same conversation with a friend last night after an ad appeared on both our news feeds on FB. Friend said leaving out a price suggests it's going to be very expensive, and I would tend to agree. The other thing it makes me think is that the seller is being opportunistic and thinks that by not putting a price will perhaps get an offer above what they want/believe the horse to be worth.

Another pet hate of mine is when a seller says 'make me an offer' after having given no indication what they want for the horse/value it at. I was taught that you can't be the buyer and the seller, i.e. you can't buy a horse and come up with the sale price. Aforementioned friend is actually slightly guilty of that...

Pigeon

Visit site
Yes I don't even respond to POA ads.

The weirdest is when there are no details, not even age/height, just rubbishy photos, and they say 'pm for details'. Uh, no, who has time for that? It's so shifty as well, makes me think horses are stolen, or not what they say they are!!