POA

Perissa

Visit site
I've just been looking through for sale ads and wondered if others, like me, are put off by ads that say POA?

I am not in the market to buy another horse but it doesn't hurt to window shop!!

There is a saying that if you have to ask how much something is than you can't afford it so I assume that ads which say POA mean expensive.

People who put POA on for sale adverts, what are your reasons for using the term?

People looking to buy are you put off by POA ads?

Eaglestone

Visit site
I feel the same when an ad says 'no timewaters' .. I always think bl**dy cheek and would not give them the time of day
crazy.gif

Bert&Maud

Visit site
Definately put off by POA ads as a buyer. I just assume it must be so spectacular it would be way out of my price range and don't waste my time or money phoning up. Even if they put "in the region of ..." it would help!

Paddywhack

Visit site
To me POA is only for genuine buyers,no time wasters plus people that can afford to pay a fair amount of money,around £30 000 and up,if i was looking to buy a horse i know that i would never ring on a POA add since i know that it would be just a tad over my maximum amount
smile.gif

_OC_

Visit site
Some sellers don't like to advertise what their selling the horse for,and rather tell an interested party when they phone to ask about the advertised animal........guess that way you know,as you rightly say you put off any 'time wasters'!

Skhosu

Visit site
Some people don't always want everyone knowing how much said horse/pony went for, sometimes because it is more expensive, sometimes because it is less, sometimes just because.
POA doesn't put me off, I get an idea of price from the ad. I don't get embaressed if it is more than I can afford, no more than if the horse does something/doesnt sound right.

LCobby

Visit site
Would not put me off- if I was in the market for horse with that type of breeding / results /
Althouh our last two additions were not advertised so had discussed, seen at a show etc and only discussed price before going to actually ride and try out.
Latest one we loved the many photos, breeding and background, so found our expected price before travelling to view- would have dropped out it if had been exhorbitant.
BUt balance with what it costs to keep a horse for a year, transport, lessons , registrations, entries, etc etc, purchase price is only the start!

Weezy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
To me POA is only for genuine buyers,no time wasters plus people that can afford to pay a fair amount of money,around £30 000 and up,if i was looking to buy a horse i know that i would never ring on a POA add since i know that it would be just a tad over my maximum amount
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You are misguided
smile.gif
A lot of POA horses are only that so nosey people don't know what the price is, and I have been VERY suprised at some prices of POAs I have enquired about - a lot less than I thought they would be! However, it does put me off ringing as I don't want to seem like a cheapskate!

X

xspiralx

I would never ring about a POA horse because I would assume it was out of my price range - I've never had a big budget to spend on a horse and would be embarrassed to call and find out I couldn't afford it!

I know there are other reasons people use POA on adverts, but irregardless, I still would never call about one unless money wasn't a consideration whatsoever.

appyjude

Visit site
We too have one advertised as POA at present - purely because she is available only to properly vetted, experienced homes and may or may not come with everything included - when you sell with everything you get LOADS of first time buyers calling regardless of what you put in the ad about suitability....POA tends to put them off but serious lookers don't mind phoning or emailing. Well, that has been our experience anyway. BTW, she is WAY under £30k!!!
smile.gif

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
I don't think it is worth putting. I know that I have rung just to find out what the horse is priced at and am not interested in purchasing the horse. At least when I put the price and loads of details on an ad I know that anyone that rings is interested in buying the horse and not just being nosey!!!

dieseldog

Visit site
I've always avoided POA ads like the plaugue. Buying a horse is bad enough without the sellers playing mind games as well.

When I was last looking for a horse I did phone a few and the first question I always asked was how much. I didn't see the point in wasting my time if if was over my price range. They all were and I had £10k. So if the first question I ask is how much, doesn't that defeat the object of putting POA on the ad as if it is out of my price range I don't want to know more.

AnnaandStella

Visit site
When time comes to sell my horsie, i'm going to 'POA/Sensible offers' her because i think she's a type that will encourage a lot of INcompetant novices and dreamers because she's so pretty.

POA wouldn't put me off, as long as i was looking to spend a reasonable amount of money for a reasonable amount of horse. I don't think there are many horsey bargains out there for fairly inexperienced riders like me.

merlinsquest

Visit site
I went to look at a Lynn Russell horse that was POA..... didnt think I would be able to afford it as it was 'her' but it was only just over 4k..... enough but not hideous!!

Sooty

Visit site
I think putting POA is desperately unhelpful. Imagine if supermarkets worked like that? If you want to decide whether to buy something, you need to know how much it is, and an advert should tell you. Really daft, not just with horses but with anything. It is one of my pet hates LOL!

JadeWisc

Visit site
I agree Sooty. I was pricing houses in the UK for fun one day and saw a lot of homes advertised that way too. Why do you suppose people do that? How can it be of benefit to them? I would want to weed out people who cannot afford ( or are not willing to pay that for ) what I am selling so that far less people wasted not only their time but mine!

X

xspiralx

Yes and ditto with "sensible offers" - the range of pricing for horses is so huge, I wouldn't know what to offer so as not to offend them - and I certainly wouldn't want to go all the way to try a horse, make an offer and have them tell me they wanted 3k more!

siennamum

Visit site
I rang about a couple of POAs when I was looking for Cocoa.I tried to start the convo, with a request for the price, both times the seller was a bit huffy that I didn't want to talk about the pony before getting onto the dirty business of talking money.
I didn't want to waste their time or mine talking about 2 ponies which were, in fact, both out of budget by a large amount.
Will NEVER pick the phoneup for a POA now!

conniegirl

Visit site
I think that if your looking at a type you should know an approximate price for that type of horse already. You could be missing out on some incredible horses by not phoning.
My lady didnt want the dreamers and complete beginners phoneing and she wanted a permenant home for a much cherished pony.
I went to see him and try him from a POA advert without asking the price beforehand fully expecting for him to be priced in the £6000 to £8000 range. as said before he was sold to me for £1600, could you imagine the amount of people and dealers she would have had call about him if she had put that price in his advert. She wanted the best home she could get for him.
Im still in contact with his old owner and she still comes to watch us at shows and helped me sooo much with learning some of the tricks of the showring and just learning some of his quirks and buttons.

X

xspiralx

[ QUOTE ]

I think that if your looking at a type you should know an approximate price for that type of horse already.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look at horse prices these days, there is a huge range. You can find horses that seem to be pretty much the same advertised with prices that differ as much as 10k.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
I think that if your looking at a type you should know an approximate price for that type of horse already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't work that way with pure Irish Draughts. You see colt foals - for example - advertised at anything from £1,500 - up to £6,000 depending on whether the owner thinks it has good potential as a stallion or not, whether they're over-run with colts and want rid of some quick, or just don't know WHAT it might be worth. And you can't always tell from a photo!

The more worrying trend is the POI which a lot of Irish breeders are using now. (Price on inspection) I'm curently not in the market for RID mares, but bought 2 from Ireland a couple of years ago. They were POA - and I DID ring (and they WERE expensive
grin.gif
) If it had been POI, I wouldn't have bothered ringing as no WAY I'd have made a trip to Ireland without knowing price. (I bought the POA mares without going to Ireland!)

Skhosu

Visit site
Interesting to see, but we had a million calls about our ponies who didn't have prices on them, mainly due to privacy for both us and the potential buyer... (most don't have prices in the paper...maybe irish are better at coping with this?) . Anyone with a bit of wit could have worked out the price range from the ad over here, ok there may be 1-2K difference but I don't feel embaressed by saying sorry thats out of my price range...not sure why others do.

dieseldog

Visit site
I have always found that the sellers get pretty arsey when you ask them how much. And then when you say out of my price range they then try to justify why they are asking that price - I really don't care at this point if they do consider it to be the next Arko, I haven't got the money so stop wasting my time.

I don't agree about the 'anyone with a bit of wit' comment, for example I phoned up about an 8YO 16.1 that had won £150 BSJA and jumped a couple of Newcomers. I was thinking £8K, they wanted £16K. How? the horse was never worth that, it was nice but not a superstar.

Skhosu

Visit site
fair enough.... we don't get arsey or justify, unless the buyer starts asking why it is priced at that in which case obviously it is justified.
I would see that as an isolated incident though DD, obviously you get some overpriced/unexpected but ringing up ads to buy I'm normally pleasantly surprised by the price. The way its written tends to suggest a price. But as I say, in our main newspaper there are very few prices at all. not a POA, just no mention.