Polly has laminitis :-(

scats

Visit site
Absolutely devastated and not sure what’s triggered it.
The girls are in at night all year round, my choice as it fits in better with my lifestyle. During the summer they have been out grazing from 7.30am to 5pm-ish. All has been fine. She was carrying a little extra weight coming into spring, but by July I had got her weight back down and it has stayed off.
Saturday night they were in as normal and went out Sunday morning. She was absolutely fine. I was competing Millie at lunchtime so they came in at 10am. It was quite windy and they came in very full of themselves, jogging and being a bit stupid. There was evidence in the field that they had been tearing round a bit, but that’s not unusual.
Polly is used to being left in the stable while Millie disappears to go competing, but I did remember Polly shouting as we loaded up, which is unusual as she’s normally very chilled about being left. Anyway, we arrived back at about 2.20pm and I turned them both back out for a few hours. Polly walked out absolutely fine, but her bed was trashed so she had obviously been a bit stressed being left.
They were out til 6pm and then came in for the night. Thinking back, she was lagging behind a bit coming in but I put it down to being reluctant to come in as they hadn’t had as much time out as normal.

Horrified today to find she is very sore, Walking very pottery, weight slightly back at walk. Extremely tucked up. Turns not too bad in stable, but struggling to back up. In her stable she is happy in herself, munching hay, very alert and bright, albeit tucked up. She always has detectable pulses, but they are possibly a little stronger than normal. Coronet bands warm. Near fore seems to be more of a problem. She is reluctant to pick up off fore and this seems to be down to the weight on the near fore. Picks up near fore no problems, but when I let go of the near fore, she holds it bent for a few moments before putting it down very gingerly. Doesn’t do this with off fore, just puts it straight down. It’s not presenting like an abscess though, but it does seem that the near fore is more sore.

So she is in on a deep bed, soaked hay and Bute and I am absolutely kicking myself that this has happened, but equally I’m trying to rack my brain as to what has triggered it. Because it has come on today so suddenly, my first thought is that it’s been something to do with yesterday, so I’m wondering if it’s been triggered by the stress of Millie disappearing? Flying around field? A combination of both?

Absolutely devastated :-(

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Sorry to hear this. No point kicking yourself while you're down, sounds like it's not something you could have foreseen anyway. Hopefully you've caught it fast and it's less severe than you fear.

SusieT

Visit site
I presume a vet has seen her? I would wonder more about colic /tying up as normally would not expect a trashed bed.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
It sounds like it could have been something to do with getting stressed out but also one of my Facebook friends posted an image from their laminitis risk ap yesterday and it was right over at the highest end of high!! She's in the North East and there will be regional differences obviously.

I really hope you can get her sorted.

scats

Visit site
Quick update- she was moving well around her box first thing morning, just a little awkward turning to the left. No problems backing up or walking forwards at all now. She’s not had any Bute because I couldn’t get any down her.
Vet came out this morning. She has slightly elevated pulses in the fronts, more so the left, but no heat and no reaction at all to hoof testers in either. Walked fine, pottery to the left turn but ok to the right.
Vet isnt too concerned, says it’s very mild inflammation and thinks it may have actually been triggered by the excessive box walking on Sunday, with that foot more likely having been to the inside.
I have some more palatable painkillers to collect from the hospital today (anticam?) and some Sedalin to give her when I need to exercise Millie over the next few days (who, I must add, is very, very angry at having to stay in as babysitter!)

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
That's great news then Scats. So worrying at this time of year. I'm bringing my horses paddock right forwards when I go away on holiday in a few days time just to give myself piece of mind whilst I'm away as I am worrying about laminitis too.

Fragglerock

Visit site
Quick update- she was moving well around her box first thing morning, just a little awkward turning to the left. No problems backing up or walking forwards at all now. She’s not had any Bute because I couldn’t get any down her.
Vet came out this morning. She has slightly elevated pulses in the fronts, more so the left, but no heat and no reaction at all to hoof testers in either. Walked fine, pottery to the left turn but ok to the right.
Vet isnt too concerned, says it’s very mild inflammation and thinks it may have actually been triggered by the excessive box walking on Sunday, with that foot more likely having been to the inside.
I have some more palatable painkillers to collect from the hospital today (anticam?) and some Sedalin to give her when I need to exercise Millie over the next few days (who, I must add, is very, very angry at having to stay in as babysitter!)

Mine was much the same as yours, fine in the stable and gravel drive but not right on concrete. I had seven weeks of not much change (or he seemed OK then went backwards). He has just had his shoes replaced and the farrier is pleased with how his feet are.

JillA

Visit site
For all sort of information, including diagnosis, underlying cause and best treatment, read The Laminitis Site. http://www.thelaminitissite.org/ Even if it is very mild, subclinical laminitis without any real presenting symptoms is still a case of a compromised hoof structure and needs to be treated with respect. You'll find all the answers on there, it is very comprehensive