Ponease drama

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Well done HH'ers. I think Ponease are feeling the heat!

Latest facebook post by them

Ponease are rattled all right.

“Our journey to this point has involved years of research and rigorous testing. We conduct in-house testing that demonstrates the effectiveness of Ponease, including before-and-after scopes. However, as Ponease is not classified as a registered medicine, we are prohibited from making any medical claims. The VMD has required us to remove such data from our website and social media platforms. Next week, I will have a confirmation letter explaining why we cannot share our research, despite our strong desire to do so.”

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

“Our journey to this point has involved years of research and rigorous testing. We conduct in-house testing that demonstrates the effectiveness of Ponease, including before-and-after scopes. However, as Ponease is not classified as a registered medicine, we are prohibited from making any medical claims. The VMD has required us to remove such data from our website and social media platforms. Next week, I will have a confirmation letter explaining why we cannot share our research, despite our strong desire to do so.”

Because it's not proper peer reviewed, provable and publishable research, sunshine, no other reason at all.

It does not have to be a registered medicine to have medical research conducted on it. Look at aloe vera.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Because it's not proper peer reviewed, provable and publishable research, sunshine, no other reason at all.

It does not have to be a registered medicine to have medical research conducted on it. Look at aloe vera.
And the problem is that a lot of visitors to their facebook page and the groups where the products are bigged-up will believe their excuse for not providing any evidence, and think they are being honest and professional by saying they are just sticking to the 'rules'. I wish more people understood basic science better, and how research is carried out and why it is important for products like these.

Edited for grammar

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I followed the page for a while but became suspicious because the whole group was clearly a Ponease Fan club.
I felt the moderator must be on commission and specifically asked her. She said no. Which I didn’t believe and has now been established as a lie by that blog. Plus her: ‘ I have seen research which we can’t publish - but the results are amazing, honest‘, post made no sense. So I unfollowed. This turn of events does not surprise me at all.

FieldOrnaments

Visit site

By the sounds of it they can't share it because no reputable journal would touch it with someone else's bargepole; it's not peer reviewed and because there's such a VAST conflict of interest, no one will be willing to potentially tarnish their hard-earned academic reputation getting involved.
I did some digging and the Australia version of the product says it contains praval pishti - effectively ground coral skeletons - and moti prishti - ground pearls - as well as some other compounds commonly used in ayurvedic medicine. This makes it even more likely people won't want to go into testing it scientifically as academia and matters of race/culture can be quite fraught. On the one hand, endorsing it is seen as endorsing the whole alternative medical field, even if none of that particular branch of alternative medication, or other branches, have been tested and provided confirmative data. On the other hand, condoning it as ineffective risks claims of racism against the culture/group the alternative practice originates with.
......And that's of course before you even touch the fact that I'm not sure the ecological credentials of such ingredients are particularly robust!!

joelb

Visit site
I followed the page for a while but became suspicious because the whole group was clearly a Ponease Fan club.
I felt the moderator must be on commission and specifically asked her. She said no. Which I didn’t believe and has now been established as a lie by that blog. Plus her: ‘ I have seen research which we can’t publish - but the results are amazing, honest‘, post made no sense. So I unfollowed. This turn of events does not surprise me at all.
Ditto, I followed the group for a couple of years being genuinely interested in nutrition and dietary management. I unfollowed last year when the Ponease and Equinectar hard sell increased and most other conversations abruptly shut down, including many from desperate owners who suspected either /or product had triggered laminitis. I thought it odd these two miracle products sprang from nowhere but the testimonials were so convincing.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com

Yep loads of stuff out there which are not medicinal… David Marlin did his supplement products when he owned the company.

humblepie

Visit site
Not sure what "jockey rules" are, and going on to BETA it isn't showing on their NOPS scheme - at least under Ponease. Don't know the name of the manufacturing company to check that as well.

Nasicus

Visit site
Our ingredients include slippery elm, bentonite, ginseng, agnus castus, marshmallow root, peppermint, rock mineral powder, purified H2O, with specific nutritional contents such as Crude Protein (10%), Crude Oil (1%), Crude Fibre (14%), Crude Ash (32%), Calcium (12%), Phosphorus, Sodium (0%), and Magnesium (0.5%). (changes slightly per product but it’s in our website)
Hold the phone, Angus Castus? As in, the Angus Castus you shouldn't feed to pregnant or lactating mares? In the products they wouldn't provide the ingredients of?
I'm assuming/hoping that's in reference to their 'Merry Mare', but in the absence of a full ingredient list for each product, how can someone be sure?

nutjob

Visit site
'unique speciality base' I particularly liked.
I took this to mean their extra special clay and water combo.
They have now limited commenting on that thread. Looks rather suss.
Yes it does, however, perfectly normal on fb to remove comments you don't like and block anyone asking legitimate questions or having a different opinion.

I found it odd that the ingredients in the Australian product were so different to the UK. Whilst there is some reasoning behind why something like slippery elm may coat the stomach and help prevent ulcers I found the Au ingredients weird, I don't understand what their mode of action might be. I wonder whether it's to do with the customs rules for importing plant based materials into Au and maybe nothing to do with science at all.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Interesting that this has come up too:
Aside from the questionable 'science', they don't sound like a very nice bunch of people to deal with at Ponease. It looks like there has been an awful lot of lying and deceitful marketing going on.

Edited due to stupid keyboard playing up!

BMA2

Visit site
I did try Equinectar...

I'm not sure if they are in the same boat but from what I understand the marketing is similar.

It is very nice tasting so any horse would eat it as it's so sweet. I bought 1 medium size container...wasn't t convinced it did anything. And any visible improvementowas down to the grass growing.

I stopped/ran out 2 weeks ago and I've noticed no difference

HorseGurl

New User
Visit site
Gosh the tone of that blog is irritating, though. Too many 'cliffhangers' and narrative styling like they're trying to hook in readers than actually give a factual account. Call me a killjoy but I do wish people would look up the dictionary definition of brevity before pressing publish on a post. Long-winded stories don't help busy owners or their horses; jus the facts for me, please.
Yeah I do go on a bit... but in my defence - I am telling a story. It's on my blog where I tell stories. I can appreciate you would expect me to 'understand the definition of brevity' if I was being employed to write a quick news story...But I was writing in my style, for my audience. Feel free to swing me a few bucks and I'll write any way you want when I expose the next one 👍

FieldOrnaments

Visit site
I can't tell if that's tongue-in-cheek or not, sorry.
But thank you for bringing this to the wider attention of the horse world, anyway; it was the first I'd heard the names ponease and equinectar, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, and as I said upthread I'll certainly be dissuading anyone who mentions it from parting with any of their hard-earned money.....

HorseGurl

New User
Visit site
I actually came on here to respond to someone who was alarmed by my nudity (but loved my horse!).. I felt it needed a little context :) Earlier this year one of our Olympic event riders was 'stood down' for wearing a Mankini at a fancy dress showjumping competition. The blowback was ENORMOUS and I posted a photo of myself in solidarity with him wearing a 'mankini' I made out of ribbons I found in the tack room... Anyway it went viral (hoooooray!) and I posted that photo in the blog on purpose because I did NOT want the Ponease filth to dig it up and think that they could shame me by reposting it.

I'm not remotely ashamed of it or my body...but I can see why it would seem really odd to anyone overseas.

More importantly though, the horse in the photo is INCREDIBLE! He was captured as an 11year old brumby stallion in September last year. He was about as wild as you'd expect any recently captured wild horse to be.. and he scared the crap out of me at the start. Anyway, that photo was taken only 5 months later and these days he is the friendliest, kindest most zen horse you could ever hope to find. I just wanted to share his story with you <3 <3

BMA2

Visit site
What's a Brumby stallion

Btw you are like a mini celebrity at the minute...we love a bit of drama

Well I do

HorseGurl

New User
Visit site
What's a Brumby stallion

Btw you are like a mini celebrity at the minute...we love a bit of drama

Well I do
Whoops.. again context. I forget I'm the foreigner here 🤣

A brumby is the term used in Australia for wild horses.. Or 'ferals' as the haters like to say.

They're currently getting slaughtered pretty barbarically in the wild so there was a huge push last year to get as many as possible into domestic homes :-D

Oh and I'm all about the drama! I've been half stressed, half DELIGHTED ever since I pressed publish on that first post. Did you see that KER have responded about Edward with an S?

webble

Visit site
Why did you ask/why were you offered a refund (If you don't mind me asking)
Kiki is a fussy eater and at that point I'd tried a few things that he had refused to eat. I initially asked them for a sample to try and they said that they didn't do them but that most horses like it. Kiki ate it for about 3 days then decided he didn't like it. I let them know but I gave the rest to someone else to try