Ponease drama

webble

Visit site
Whoops.. again context. I forget I'm the foreigner here 🤣

A brumby is the term used in Australia for wild horses.. Or 'ferals' as the haters like to say.

They're currently getting slaughtered pretty barbarically in the wild so there was a huge push last year to get as many as possible into domestic homes :-D

Oh and I'm all about the drama! I've been half stressed, half DELIGHTED ever since I pressed publish on that first post. Did you see that KER have responded about Edward with an S?
What did KER have to say?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I actually came on here to respond to someone who was alarmed by my nudity (but loved my horse!).. I felt it needed a little context :) Earlier this year one of our Olympic event riders was 'stood down' for wearing a Mankini at a fancy dress showjumping competition. The blowback was ENORMOUS and I posted a photo of myself in solidarity with him wearing a 'mankini' I made out of ribbons I found in the tack room... Anyway it went viral (hoooooray!) and I posted that photo in the blog on purpose because I did NOT want the Ponease filth to dig it up and think that they could shame me by reposting it.

I'm not remotely ashamed of it or my body...but I can see why it would seem really odd to anyone overseas.

More importantly though, the horse in the photo is INCREDIBLE! He was captured as an 11year old brumby stallion in September last year. He was about as wild as you'd expect any recently captured wild horse to be.. and he scared the crap out of me at the start. Anyway, that photo was taken only 5 months later and these days he is the friendliest, kindest most zen horse you could ever hope to find. I just wanted to share his story with you <3 <3

I loved your nude photo, great giggle, and we did cover that stupid ban on the forum at the time.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Follow up article

FieldOrnaments

Visit site
Equinectar seems to be enzymes
So it's closer to a pro/prebiotics

Ponease is basically horsey remmie.

Neither will cure ulcers.

Equinectar sounds like laminitis in a bottle (enzymes that enhance breakdown of starches to sugars)....maybe good for very poor doers though. Call me a cynic.

I could see where it might be beneficial for horses on very restricted/controlled diets though e.g. race/competition horses stabled most of the time fed feeds horses aren't really designed for (pellets, grains, basically anything other than long fibre low sugar plant matter, they're not geared up to digest).

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I have no idea about the link between Equinectar and Ponease but I do know both are equally promoted on the Feeding Horses With Ulcers page so I assume the mod is paid by both for her support. I commented on the BSJA post about this currently running, saying that the mod (LH) claims to be independent but is in fact on commission. She responded very angrily calling me a liar and 'bitter' which was a bit weird. Did not dispute what I said though, which I think says it all really. I mean if someone said I was sponsored by - say - The ISH Society - to say nice things about Lottie I would not get angry, I'd just say it isn't true!

BMA2

Visit site
That's what I mean...if they are equally promoted by the same folk are they same same but different?

Only curious as I bought some Equinectar but didn't buy a 2nd container

deicinmerlyn

Visit site
I have no idea about the link between Equinectar and Ponease but I do know both are equally promoted on the Feeding Horses With Ulcers page so I assume the mod is paid by both for her support. I commented on the BSJA post about this currently running, saying that the mod (LH) claims to be independent but is in fact on commission. She responded very angrily calling me a liar and 'bitter' which was a bit weird. Did not dispute what I said though, which I think says it all really. I mean if someone said I was sponsored by - say - The ISH Society - to say nice things about Lottie I would not get angry, I'd just say it isn't true!
Weirdly on the P fan page the Whitakers are endorsing the product?! Hard to believe really

FieldOrnaments

Visit site
They are separate companies - I think people are drawing parallels due to similar trajectories for the supplements and strategies by the companies, although equinectar's ingredient list is less vague than ponease's, but it's been suggested both are paying for promotion which then isn't being declared by the individuals doing the promoting.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
LH promotes Equinectar as much as she promotes Ponease so it’s a fair assumption she’s being paid by both. Back when I still thought the group was genuinely independent, I commended that Equishure had been very helpful to Lottie. Which immediately got the comment that there was far more evidence for Equinectar than Equishure. Which isn’t true.

webble

Visit site
LH promotes Equinectar as much as she promotes Ponease so it’s a fair assumption she’s being paid by both. Back when I still thought the group was genuinely independent, I commended that Equishure had been very helpful to Lottie. Which immediately got the comment that there was far more evidence for Equinectar than Equishure. Which isn’t true.
My vets practice are a distributor for Equinectar, I asked my vet about supplements and her answer was that Equishure is the one with the most science and research behind it

ycbm

Visit site
My vets practice are a distributor for Equinectar, I asked my vet about supplements and her answer was that Equishure is the one with the most science and research behind it

I thoroughly dislike Vets being distributors for untested products making medical claims. A decade or so ago when Equitop was new, vets in this area were pushing Equitop Myoplast (sugar coated sprirulina) like crazy for horses needing to build muscle, and it was obvious they were getting a hefty profit to do it. I wrote to Equitop asking for their testing results and their reply "It's a supplement, we don't have to test it". I think it's unethical for a vet to have your horse in for surgery and suggest you buy an untested product from them as part of the recovery plan.

webble

Visit site
I thoroughly dislike Vets being distributors for untested products making medical claims. A decade or so ago when Equitop was new, vets in this area were pushing Equitop Myoplast (sugar coated sprirulina) like crazy for horses needing to build muscle, and it was obvious they were getting a hefty profit to do it. I wrote to Equitop asking for their testing results and their reply "It's a supplement, we don't have to test it". I think it's unethical for a vet to have your horse in for surgery and suggest you buy an untested product from them as part of the recovery plan.
Agreed. She wasnt pushing the one they sell at all, she mentioned the Equishure because I asked what she thought of the various ones available. It has helped

FieldOrnaments

Visit site
The
"It's a supplement, we don't have to test it".
I think this, and the whole ponease fiasco more broadly, does suggest it's past time this attitude/legislative state of affairs changed.
I'm not sure it ever will, but it really ought to, especially with the costs involved (thinking the figures in the HorseGurl article showing ponease had an option to buy I think 5 litres for $535AUSD/£282). It really feels as if, especially when sums like that are involved, companies are turning desperate owners' concerns for their animals and willingness to try anything to fix them into a tidy little cash cow.

Fieldlife

Visit site

To be fair the spirulina will provide the essential amino acids for muscle development which might be in short supply, and this is a know versus something that needs to be specifically tested, as we know which amino acids horses can make, which there need in diet and which are most likely to be lacking. But the amount fed is very small in myoplast. 100gms of micronised linseed provides more of all the essential amino acids at far less cost.

ycbm

Visit site
To be fair the spirulina will provide the essential amino acids for muscle development which might be in short supply, and this is a know versus something that needs to be specifically tested, as we know which amino acids horses can make, which there need in diet and which are most likely to be lacking. But the amount fed is very small in myoplast. 100gms of micronised linseed provides more of all the essential amino acids at far less cost.

And spirulina is also available from much cheaper sources.

All reasons why vets should not have been recommending it almost as if it was being prescribed.