pony club polo death

madgirl

Visit site
god a girl of only 20 was killed in pony club polo match at cirencester park!! so shocking thrghts are with her family!
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
She fell whilst playing last weekend, and passed away in hospital last wednesday evening. Her funeral was yesterday.
As with the large majority of polo/polocrosse accidents I imagine it would have been the result of a fall in the melee, and then being ridden over. The family haven't released any details.
Makes us all aware of our own mortality.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Yes bounty its very sad but a lot of polo accidents that I have heard about have happened in that way, when my mother was groom for polos she used to whitness them
frown.gif
such a tragic loss at such an early age. xx

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
I've seen a fair few accidents.
In one of my games this season (polocrosse) a horse went down having tripped over the back end of another horse, the girl tipped off the side, the horse rolled over her, rolled back over her and then trampled her as her struggled for his feet.
She was unconscious for a time, and was collected by the air ambulance. There was talk of internal bleeding and a fractured pelvis as the minimum, but incredibly she was just badly bruised and concussed. It still makes us all stop and think about the dangers of the sport.
Catherine was a well-known member of the polocrosse community, and her death will definitely leave a hole.

madgirl

Visit site
god and i may have been hacking through the park on the day as we are right next to the polo grounds and we used to live there!

Rambo

Visit site
Very sad, but perhaps now is the time to consider the safety aspect of the sport, which appears to have lagged a long way behind other forms of equestrianism
frown.gif
I understand from the HHO article that there is not even a requirement to wear a decent standard of helmet....not that that would have necessarily made a difference in this case.

rosita

Visit site
The rules of polo are very strict as regards rights of way and line of the ball, they are there to prevent accidents. It is the umpires jobs to enforce these rules. Saying that, as with many horse sports, the risks are massive. Feel awful for the family and great sadness for the loss of such a good player.

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
I'm not hugely involved in polo, just pick up the pieces when it comes to the mess they make of the ponies!
Certainly within polocrosse there are new rules coming in all the time with regards to trying to make the sport safer, although I do think the effects of such rules are limited due to the nature of the game - 6 ponies hurtling around in what is really a very small space.
The hats that the majority of us wear are from Oz and are the popular choice because you can attach a face guard to them. The pony club has just decided to allow them, and BE allow them, but the BHS refuse to recognise them as a safe option. Personally i'm torn, because in the game i'm much more likely to get my nose broken or lose some teeth than actually hit the deck so tend to go with the Oz hats, but i know that when i'm at home on a naughty youngster i'll choose a jockey skull everytime.

Rambo

Visit site
Not being a polo player....or ever having really watched polo of any kind....I kinda wonder if body protectors are more of a problem than helmets though
tongue.gif
The H&H article seemed to suggest that they weren't practical due to the movement required in the game, but surely someone must be able to come up with something that would help !? Crush injuries are always the biggest worry in the horse world though....

flyingfeet

Visit site
This was pony club polo - so you have to wear a BS kitemarked hat. She would have either been wearing a normal hat or a Charles Owen, as they are the only polo hat manufacturer that meets the standard.

Body protectors are never going to happen in polo- you need to shift your weight too much and they are not practical.

However all horse sports are dangerous and Pony Club kids have been killed in all activities (yes even dressage!)

Whilst tragic, we shouldn't get hung up on this as you are more likely to die in a car accident or falling down stairs.

GTs

Visit site
Very sad indeed!!

A friend of mine got smacked in the face with a polo ball last week - his patron is a plastic surgeon, took him to the hospital checked him out, sewed him up.

It raised a very interesting discussion about face masks. The patron (and also doctor) does not support them, as he is concerned about mallets getting stuck in them, and you being pulled off your horse by your face, and also if your horse goes down, and you face plant you can dislocate your skull. Safety goggles are the way forward!!!

Polo is classified as an extreme sport - it is dangerous - but life is risky too!!

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
I watched a polo match last summer at Cirencester park. I'd rather get into a boxing ring with Mike Tyson than do that.

They are all nutters
shocked.gif

RIP for the Girl, but it struck me as being a very dangerous and agressive game.

emma69

Visit site
The game only becomes dangerous when people don't play by the rules - if everyone plays nice, it is no more dangerous than any other horse sport. It is agressive, it's a team sport where everyone wants to win, yes you ride hard, and you get the odd bump and bruise, but I have had far worse injuries SJing and XCing than playing polo. It's always horrid when something as awful as this happens, but I certainly don't consider people who play polo 'nutters'.

GTs

Visit site
It is not a case of getting ugly when people do not know the rules - but instead the mucho attitude some bring to the game. If you are playing with a good group, that just want to have fun - it is awesome. But a lot of the patrons in polo spend $5,000$10,000 per week to do one thing - WIN. Mix that attitude with some argies employed by them who will take no BS - it can get very rough, and agressive very quickly, and I pity people who can not take care of themselves in that situation.

emma69

Visit site
It's more a case of ignoring than not knowing - luckily the people I played with (even the Argies) played nicely with me - didn't stop some rough riding off, but they weren't out for my blood! Then again, the stakes weren't that high
wink.gif
Pie and chips in the pub anyone????