Pony ill - urgent ideas?

MagicMelon

Visit site
UPDATE - Thanks everyone for your comments and I totally agree that I the last thing I wanted to do was let him suffer for long. He was in a bad way at about 3pm yesterday, he began lying flat out and trying to roll which I knew was bad - vet came out straight away and I was 100% certain this was it for him however she wanted to gave him one last chance because when checked for a blockage and still nothing to find and he was still pooing fine and stomach noises etc. so she gave him some more painkiller and a muscle relaxant. She said one of them wore off after 6 hours so basically by 9pm last night we'd know which way he was going to go to a degree. I was 99% sure I'd be making the decision last night, I went out every hour from 3pm yesterday, all night and walked him for 10 mins which he seemed happy doing. He stopped lying down after the vet had been and began headbutting me again which is a sign of his that he's feeling better, late last night be began finally showing interest in food and then began eating! He's out in a small paddock (where he's happiest) and has been grazing a bit (very minimal grass) and I've been giving him 3 handfuls of long nice grass every hour, am paranoid about limiting how much he's eating still as I don't want a full tummy to trigger yesterdays downhill slide. He's perked up further this morning and although still not grazing all the time, he's almost back to normal again. Of course, I am trying extremely hard to not get my hopes up just in case and we're awaiting the blood results later on today to see if there is an underlying problem that caused it. I will be getting the dentist out urgently still though although next few days, not quite yet as I don't want him sedated for a while. So yeah, I'm shocked to say I still have him here right now!!

BTW, yes the vet did ask about surgery being an option but I said straight away I wouldn't put him through that at his age which she agreed with. I know he's older now, whilst I will give him every chance I won't put him through stuff like that.

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
You have had a long night, great that he has picked up, I hope the bloods results are positive and that the old boy continues to improve over the next few days, he may well do and have another good few years ahead, they do like to worry us sometimes.

anglo

Visit site
Don't want to get your hopes up , but we had two ponies with similar symptoms . Turns out it was a bacteria or virus ( probably never know ) , the younger pony recovered within 48 hrs without assistance , but our old pony took a few days . Our vet gave him pain relief , anti inflammatory injection and antibiotics to cover all eventualities .

Hetsmum

Visit site
I had one similar to yours in June. He had colic which was caused by fatty lypoma (sp?) which is apparently not that uncommon in older horses. The gut had twisted around one and was blocked. The rectal did not show as it was so far in (small intestine). Only showed up on ultrasound. He was operated on successfully but after they removed a portion of his gut he didn't regain gut function and sadly was PTS. The thing was there were still some gut sounds and he didn't present as classic colic. He responded very briefly to painkillers but I had the vet out again within 2 hours and then was at hospital very shortly afterwards as she just 'wasn't happy' and had a bad feeling but nothing concreate. Is it possible your lad had this but the gut un-tangled itself? Whatever the case I am very glad to hear he is looking brighter.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
It is good news this a.m. fingers crossed.
I think I would be monitoring temperature and respiration every six hours for three days, then I would feel more able to relax, and you feel you are doing something positive every time you go and check him, rather than only going to see if he has regressed. I am assuming he is OK with the rectal, if he is perky enough to object strongly, don't worry about it.
Press your ear on his upper flank to listen to his gut noises, I think you should be hearing gentle gurgle/burble today.
I hope you don't mind me saying these things, but personally I felt it was better to do something positive rather than feel helpless. I think you are well through the crisis now.

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Had to stop by and see if any news - that is a good start to the day, just little and often don't rush out give loads of hay/feed, onwards and upwards let hope.

vibes xxxxx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
At least that is a positive result to what must have seemed like a very long night indeed. The cob I mentioned earlier in the thread had a week long, up and down colic aged 25 and although we retired her immediately, she lived another very happy and comfortable 6 yrs until those last six weeks. We never did find out what caused her colic, vet was stumped but did say on his last visit that if she didn't improve, he would advise pts.

Fingers crossed for a continued recovery for your lad.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Oh, I'm so sorry!

You made the best decision you could for him under the circumstances, after giving him a good, long and happy life and giving him as much chance to come through this as was good for him.

Coming on top of a worry-filled sleepless night, this must have been a dreadful morning for you. It does get better though, in time.

touchstone

Visit site
Oh no, but at least he hasn't been allowed to suffer, the best thing that we can do for them is to let them go in circumstances like this. xx

Annagain

Visit site
So sorry to hear this. It's no comfort at all now, but in time you'll be pleased that he didn't suffer for long at the end. A couple of days out of 28 happy years is nothing.

I lost my old boy to colic at 27, his first ever illness and it could only have been a few hours. I found him down in his stable one morning, but he'd eaten all his hay so can't have suffered for long. At the time the shock was awful but as weeks and months went on, I was grateful he went the way he did rather than diminishing slowly and painfully and becoming a shadow of his former self.

Sheep

Visit site
Had him put to sleep an hour ago. Half an hour before that he suddenly started lying down again and was clearly not happy. Couldn't put him through it anymore. Devastated.

Oh I am so sorry to hear that. You have made a kind and selfless decision. I am sure you are heartbroken. RIP. x

misskk88

Visit site
I was just about to comment about my 19 year old pulled through a really severe impaction colic after I nursed her with vets advice from home. I was going to wish the same outcome for your pony, so I am SO sorry to read of your loss.

The kindest thing we can do as owners, is make the decision when the time is right, and not leave it too late. It seems you have offered your pony care and dignity to the very end, and so let that be at least some peace of mind for you during such a horrid time.

Big virtual hugs x

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I'm so sorry to read this, but you were there for him in the end throughout it all and made the right decision. Its hard with the oldies as they can go downhill so fast without anything seeming wrong. Both our oldies went like this, I think once they have got colic at an old age having never had it before you know something big is up tbh (although I only 'know' this through the experience) as finally something has caught up with them.

Give yourself a hug OP x

Suzie86

Visit site
Oh no, that's brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry, and after your positive update as well. Can't imagine how you're feeling right now x