Pony may be stolen

spottytom

Visit site
Depending on what colour the pony is, I'd be tempted to spray my postcode on in purple foot spray somewhere the pony can't reach it. It does wash out eventually but takes ages and makes them very noticeable, and thus less desirable, in the interim.

What a fabulous idea - pony is almost pure white..........

Reactions: TPO

canteron

Visit site
I agree, on the face of it. However I wasnt there and dont know if, for instance, they new the pony's name, age, where it had come from, plus any other bits of history that only previous owners might know. I dont know how much my friend asked - she was in such a state I doubt she asked much at all. However, the fact that they would not give their name or phone number is enough really I suppose.
Possibly just as well she wasn’t too aggressive - she was outnumbered and had she made them feel threatened I suspect they may have reacted badly. Sounds to me she did well if she had the presence of mind to ask for phone nos etc.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Great idea, but surely anyone really determined would clip it out? That said, a lot of trouble to go to!

If they spray it close enough for long enough it will go right through to the skin. It's a great idea, purple spray is a devil to get rid of!

blitznbobs

Visit site
Tell them to foxtrot Oscar and come back with a police officer if a crime is suspected... I doubt very much they will want contact with the police— also with the microchip your evidence is better than theirs so I doubt you have any thing to worry about apart from getting your pony stolen of course.

rowan666

Visit site
It sounds like a scam, why wouldn't they have brought passport, receipts, photographs, police crime number or any other proof of searching etc with them? Very odd

spottytom

Visit site
Update. They came back 9pm. Friend called 999. 3 police cars with sirens arrived at speed, together with YO, husband and neighbors. White van blocked in driveway by police cars. Big row - original man, another man and a little boy around 5 years. Police calmed everyone and said although they’re not experts in equine law, the lady has the pony in her field where witnesses confirm he has lived for 5 years. Lady also has passport, receipt and vet bills. Gentlemen, although he claims to have same cannot show anything. Therefore at this point in time the pony stays with and belongs to the lady. If gentlemen wish to dispute, they must do through legal channels. If men set foot on land again or take pony they will have committed an offence. Men eventually left. Police told friend they may have wanted money however I don’t understand why they came back when she was unlikely to be there then. Funny they told police that their children were missing the pony, however the kids (3of them) can’t have been born when he was “stolen “.

Berpisc

Visit site
Get that purple spray out and get it sprayed into the pony's skin (as er YCBM above). Also that yellow fly repellant gel that sticks like crazy onto hair and doesn't wash out. Summer fly cream. Bright yellow.
How terrible for the owner though, I do feel for her.

Last edited:

Melody Grey

Visit site
Lordy! How stressful, your friend must be beside herself! Do you have a local horse watch/ farm watch you could publicise this on- there might be others in your area being targeted in this way? Equally googling reg number of the van might be enlightening?

Your local hunt and pony club might also be a way of getting the word out if you think it's a scam. I know if it had happened near to me, I'd appreciate knowing!!

spottytom

Visit site
Police have their details and are familiar with the site they live on. One policeman knows the brother of one of the men too. Ponies are both now in a paddock in front of the house and all gates are padlocked inside the yard. External gates will also now be locked at night. Pony is a bugger to catch so it wouldn’t be an easy steal and he is now in full view of three houses, and all residents are aware. In fact they all came out before the police arrived so were obviously on alert.

Shay

Visit site
Don't forget to re-mount gates upside down so they cannot be lifted from their hinges. So sorry for your friend. opefully she has just made it too "hot" for them and they will go insearch of easier prey. Also worth alerting folk locally.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Update. They came back 9pm. Friend called 999. 3 police cars with sirens arrived at speed, together with YO, husband and neighbors. White van blocked in driveway by police cars. Big row - original man, another man and a little boy around 5 years. Police calmed everyone and said although they’re not experts in equine law, the lady has the pony in her field where witnesses confirm he has lived for 5 years. Lady also has passport, receipt and vet bills. Gentlemen, although he claims to have same cannot show anything. Therefore at this point in time the pony stays with and belongs to the lady. If gentlemen wish to dispute, they must do through legal channels. If men set foot on land again or take pony they will have committed an offence. Men eventually left. Police told friend they may have wanted money however I don’t understand why they came back when she was unlikely to be there then. Funny they told police that their children were missing the pony, however the kids (3of them) can’t have been born when he was “stolen “.

They came back at 9pm with one aim to steal the pony two men could easily pick up a shetland and put it in the back of their van. Good job there were people around and I second getting purple spray involved as a white pony with purple patches would be easy to identify at a distance. Definitely publicise as much as possible in the area so people can be on their guard.

spottytom

Visit site
Don't forget to re-mount gates upside down so they cannot be lifted from their hinges. So sorry for your friend. opefully she has just made it too "hot" for them and they will go insearch of easier prey. Also worth alerting folk locally.

Thank you for the advice regarding the gates - onto it. Everyone local is aware - most came our when police arrived! Close neighbour is Hunt Secretary and she is putting the word around through her contacts. Hopefully nothing more will come of it - although it was all very strange.