pony painting parties - discuss?!

Evie91

Visit site
So doing the rounds on fb is a petition to ban pony painting parties for children. H&H has article in support.
What are people’s views?
I don’t have a strong view either way- perplexed as to how it became a ‘thing’. I wouldn’t do it with one of mine but then I’m an adult with no children!

scats

Visit site
I’m a bit mixed about this. It’s certainly not a welfare issue, and when there are so many horses and ponies out there that are genuine welfare cases, the whole pony painting horror thing seemed a bit trivial really.

However, despite the fact that the ponies involved seemingly don’t seem bothered, or probably just think the are being groomed, I don’t believe that it’s a good idea to let children think it’s ok to treat animals like that. The paint is harmless yes, but the idea of it doesn’t really sit well with me.

rascal

Visit site
Not something i would have let my two do when they were younger. Does not teach respect for animals.
How long will it be before the idiots copy and start painting ponies with tins of spray paint?

Mule

Visit site
Not a welfare concern, especially considering the actual abuse that some people inflict on horses.

But it is weird to teach kids that animals are something that you do things to, rather than do something for/with. It's like treating them as an inanimate object. It's strange to say the least.I don't see what the attraction is.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Not a welfare concern, especially considering the actual abuse that some people inflict on horses.

But it is weird to teach kids that animals are something that you do things to, rather than do something for/with. It's like treating them as an inanimate object. It's strange to say the least.I don't see what the attraction is.

Agree with this.
When I worked at a rescue centre, there were endless streams of young children who booked appointments to brush the adoption ponies, take them for short walks etc. That actually taught them a little about how to handle and care for animals appropriately but also gave the opportunity to make them look pretty with plaits in their hair etc, without any weirdness. Occasionally the girls put daisies in their manes... i did the same with my first pony nearly 30 years ago :D Don't quite understand what the painting thing is all about.

rowan666

Visit site
Its certainly not a wefare issue but It isn't something I would let my kids do although is it really all that different to novelty clipping patterns, sparkly hoof oil and glittery quartermarks? It's harmless fun as long as children are taught to respect the ponies

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have had a couple of friends on FB want me to sign the petition. I simply have not replied as I don't feel strongly either way. It is not something that I would do (although as a teen I did do a fancy dress competition with a horse striped up as a zebra) but I don't think it is harmful.

I wonder how a ban would affect the Horses Inside Out demos? Same thing really.

I think this is a case for people minding their own business really. If you don't agree then don't participate!

scats

Visit site
Not something i would have let my two do when they were younger. Does not teach respect for animals.
How long will it be before the idiots copy and start painting ponies with tins of spray paint?

This happened 20 years ago at a local riding school. Feral teenagers from the nearby estate painted some of the ponies during the night in the field, causing burns and allergic reactions. It was horrendous.

Snowfilly

Visit site
I'm torn on this. On one hand, it seems fairly harmless to the ponies and the loc riding school do 'pony pamper' sessions where you get to groom, paint hoofs with sparkly glitter, do fancy plaits with flowers and bows and mess about with quarter marker patterns so it's not that much different. And compared to the actual welfare issues, it's minor.

On the other, it feels 'wrong' to me but I can't quite decide why. Maybe my age because I can't see the point of it?

Theocat

Visit site
I don't personally get it, but I can't see that it does more harm - or is fundamentally less respectful to the horse - than glittery hooves, flowers in manes, or even plaiting up (which CAN cause discomfort!)

There are bigger problems to worry about. And if it gets kids interacting kindly with animals, that's a positive!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I think if done well, with a pony thats actively fine (and not merely shut down) with being surrounded by kids who aren't allowed to be too loud/pushy etc then its not a welfare concern any more than any kid pampering their pony. I don't get it though-as a kid I took pride in turning my pony out but also had it drummed into me that they weren't toys nor furniture.

there are welfare/ethical concerns with using any equine for anything tbh, whether its for sport, pleasure, therapy or painting parties-just because they're doing it, doesn't mean they are digging it (to quote a favourite film of mine).They don't exist purely for our entertainment.

tashcat

Visit site
Agree with the above - I think there are far worse welfare issues out there, and the energy spent on these campaigns would be far better elsewhere.

I don't really understand why they can't just use paper.. if they want to spend time with horses what is wrong with old fashioned grooming?!

Horses aren't toys and we need to teach kids respect, but there are far worse issues of abuse or neglect that need this level of public focus.

Fragglerock

Visit site
I'm torn on this. On one hand, it seems fairly harmless to the ponies and the loc riding school do 'pony pamper' sessions where you get to groom, paint hoofs with sparkly glitter, do fancy plaits with flowers and bows and mess about with quarter marker patterns so it's not that much different. And compared to the actual welfare issues, it's minor.

On the other, it feels 'wrong' to me but I can't quite decide why. Maybe my age because I can't see the point of it?

I think the difference is the riding school is likely to have children who are interested in horses attending rather than a group who happen to be at a party where this is just a 'game'. Children at parties tend to be excitable and noisy and probably not interested in horses.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
I didn't see the harm in it, provided that the sessions were well run, and the animals involved seemed okay, etc. However, I've since taken ownership of a former riding school pony who was used for lead rein and pony painting, and he's very clearly not happy about being groomed at all or about being anywhere near children. So I'm a bit leery of it now. I think it's got the potential to cause more stress in the animals involved than might be expected, and that puts me off it. Riding school animals do tend to be very stoic creatures, after all.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don’t really understand the problem, especially as if it’s a ‘respect’ issue I’ve definitely disrespected frank loads by making him look daft!

SEL

Visit site
We've got a local yard who have kids from difficult backgrounds go there for sessions. I think the painting is just something different they do to keep the children engaged - their attention span isn't always great.

Ponies don't seem bothered. Not sure it's much different to my YO getting her show horse ready (a wee bit less pink and glitter....)

Not something I want to sign a petition on. Bigger battles out there!!

Spottyappy

Visit site
I have a friend who runs this type of party, along with unicorn/fairy type sessions too.
The ponies are absolutely picked for their temperaments, and seem to love the fuss and attention. Is the painting any different, as others say, to the glitter and so on that owners often use.
The handlers at the party are horse people and are educated to the nth degree on looking out for any sign that the pony has had enough. To date, it’s never been an issue.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I’m a bit mixed about this. It’s certainly not a welfare issue, and when there are so many horses and ponies out there that are genuine welfare cases, the whole pony painting horror thing seemed a bit trivial really.

However, despite the fact that the ponies involved seemingly don’t seem bothered, or probably just think the are being groomed, I don’t believe that it’s a good idea to let children think it’s ok to treat animals like that. The paint is harmless yes, but the idea of it doesn’t really sit well with me.

Same. Shows no respect to the animal and turns them into some sort of toy.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would rather ponies were painted with something that will wash off, so long as the sessions are well run, than have all their facial whiskers chopped off for showing. And some horses find mane-pulling uncomfortable/painful, where is the petition against that?

Visit site
My thinking it is cheaper on insurance and less hassle than giving pony rides. Im personally not a fan but knowing that some ponies really do have the most perfect temprements for this sort of thing and genuinely do enjoy the attention I don't see a harm in it if they aren't doing it every day of the week and still get a chance to be a pony.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'd rather have a bunch of kids painting a pony then it doing endless pony rides with unbalanced, kicky little riders... in general.

I do understand concerns about respect but much of what we do with horses isn't innately respectful, the respectful attitude comes from the person not the action in my view. You can ride your horse in a respectful or unrespectful way. You can groom your horse in a respectful or unrespectful way. Etc etc ad nauseum.

I was under the impression that pony painting came into being in a therapy setting? I may be wrong. As long as the pony is happy with it I don't see the harm. But it depends on how it's done. 30 screaming kids around one pony splashing paint in its eyes is obviously not good. 3 quiet kids revelling in spending time with a pony and being creative at the same time? Not a problem in my view.

I painted my horse for my wedding though (just a quarter marker stencil, lol) so maybe I feel the need to defend.

ihatework

Visit site
I would rather ponies were painted with something that will wash off, so long as the sessions are well run, than have all their facial whiskers chopped off for showing. And some horses find mane-pulling uncomfortable/painful, where is the petition against that?

Agree. It’s a bit hypocritical of ‘us’ to condemn this when ‘we’ regularly pull out their hair, trim sensory whiskers, plaster oil on their feet, put make up on blemishes etc in the name of making them look pretty.

And as someone else said - horses inside out?!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Glad other posters have already mentioned showing :eek:

No I don't really care for it, but I also don't care for mane pulling, tail pulling, whisker clipping, tight plaiting, face shaving, or any of the other bonkers things adult humans dream up to make their horses more aesthetically pleasing.

ilikecobs

New User
Visit site
My riding school has therapeutic lessons for children with disabilities. They ride and groom the ponies and they really enjoy themselves. Sometimes they use pony safe paint on one of our VERY quiet shetlands. I personally don't see a problem with it once the paint is pony safe.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Agree. It’s a bit hypocritical of ‘us’ to condemn this when ‘we’ regularly pull out their hair, trim sensory whiskers, plaster oil on their feet, put make up on blemishes etc in the name of making them look pretty.

And as someone else said - horses inside out?!

But some of us don't like that, don't do any of it and are fairly outspoken about it ;)

Horses Inside Out is a fair point, it is educational though-I guess I'd want to see how these painting parties are done. I didn't realise there was a petition and I wouldn't sign it.

For this sort of thing, won't there be tighter regulations come Oct?

ozpoz

Visit site
My daughter's horse was painted by Horses Inside Out once. Amazingly, he had no concept of paint as disrespectful, but simply enjoyed the attention and eyes on him, as any prima donna would do.
If everyone who bothered to get involved with this put their time and energy into campaigning against slaughter transport, soring of tenessee walking horses, cruel blood or urine collection and the resulting foals sent to slaughter or forcibly aborted in Argentina, it might just improve some very real welfare issues.

Fragglerock

Visit site
If everyone who bothered to get involved with this put their time and energy into campaigning against slaughter transport, soring of tenessee walking horses, cruel blood or urine collection and the resulting foals sent to slaughter or forcibly aborted in Argentina, it might just improve some very real welfare issues.

They probably sing petitions against those things too, I find once you sign a petition you get loads of others too. Signing a petition takes seconds whereas getting actively involved is a different ballgame.

Mule

Visit site
My daughter's horse was painted by Horses Inside Out once. Amazingly, he had no concept of paint as disrespectful, but simply enjoyed the attention and eyes on him, as any prima donna would do.

The pmu business is barbaric. Its production has moved from Canada to China and of course the
welfare protections the mares had in Canada will be nonexistent in a country that skins dogs alive for their meat value:mad:

The thing is, if both doctors and patients knew how the medication was produced they would switch to the synthetic drugs that have the same action.

rascal

Visit site

I am sure a lot of us do, I know Hubby and I do.
We never pull manes and tails or trim whiskers either.