Pony with liver problems and PTS.

jumbyjack

Visit site
My 22 year old Shetland has Cushings had liver issues a few years ago but came out of it well. Recently she has been so depressed I had her bloods tested, they came back with liver and muscle damage and very high bile acid. So she went for a liver biopsy and two more blood tests for different things that I cant remember the names of, both came back high and the biopsy indicated necrosis of the liver. She then had a different test for Cushings where she was given a sugar solution and blood tested twice fifteen minutes apart, results were high. I'm advised that any treatment would be palliative as she has no hope of recovery and that treatment would be steroids, of course that opens another bag of worms with the risk of laminitis.

My feeling is PTS but I am being pushed to try the steroids and I'm not sure this is in the pony's best interest as she cant stay on them forever even if she doesn't get Laminitis. The steroids could giver her some time and feeling a lot better but the end game doesn't alter. I don't want to put her on the steroids just so I can keep her for a while longer but should I give her the chance? My mind is going round in circles and I change it every 5 minutes! She is my super star pony and I can't imagine life without her but I have to do the best I can for her.

Your comments would be so much appreciated!

pippixox

Visit site
I had a 7yo pony who was diagnosed after suddenly becoming photo sensitive and just a little quiet in his behaviour. At the time the vet thought it may respond well but biopsy looked like there was a lot of damage already. We did steroids and also another drug which I cant remember the name of. Yes we had to be careful with lami risk, especially as he was also a New forest good doer. His levels briefly stabilised on a lot of drugs and he perked up but he then started to be more tired and clearly from bloods as well it was not working. He was PTS 7 months and £7000 in medication (insured thank goodness) later as the most recent results were critically bad and I was warned it could efrect his brain and make him suddenly go basically mad and dangerous, which of course I did not want. It was worth a try as he was young and despite damage shown on biopsy lots can at least maintain and keep going for years. But sadly not in his case.

It is amazing how well they can feel on steroids and if it was me I think I would give your horse at least a few weeks feeling good on them and then say goodbye.

I'm so sorry you are going through this

pippixox

Visit site
The main cost was the special drug which can help reduce the liver cerosis, which we felt worth trying due to his young age and general health and insurances covered up to £7500 if needed

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Being pushed by whom?
I wouldn't give a Cushings pony steroids with the associated laminitis risk unless there was an excellent prognosis but because of the age/Cushings status of your pony, there isn't, I'm afraid. I'm sorry that nothing really can help your pony and you are in this difficult position but your pony has had a good long life until now.

eahotson

Visit site
My 22 year old Shetland has Cushings had liver issues a few years ago but came out of it well. Recently she has been so depressed I had her bloods tested, they came back with liver and muscle damage and very high bile acid. So she went for a liver biopsy and two more blood tests for different things that I cant remember the names of, both came back high and the biopsy indicated necrosis of the liver. She then had a different test for Cushings where she was given a sugar solution and blood tested twice fifteen minutes apart, results were high. I'm advised that any treatment would be palliative as she has no hope of recovery and that treatment would be steroids, of course that opens another bag of worms with the risk of laminitis.

My feeling is PTS but I am being pushed to try the steroids and I'm not sure this is in the pony's best interest as she cant stay on them forever even if she doesn't get Laminitis. The steroids could giver her some time and feeling a lot better but the end game doesn't alter. I don't want to put her on the steroids just so I can keep her for a while longer but should I give her the chance? My mind is going round in circles and I change it every 5 minutes! She is my super star pony and I can't imagine life without her but I have to do the best I can for her.

Your comments would be so much appreciated!
you must do what you feel is best.Your horse has had a good life.All the very best.

angel7

Visit site
Please consider PTS, in people we give steriods in the last stage of life, they rally for a few days or weeks and then need palliative drugs as the end can be so difficult to manage.
Liver failure makes you feel awful, sickly and eating is unthinkable.
I would not risk laminitus in a cushings pony.

Trouper

Visit site
When there is no way back from illness then I would pts. She must be feeling pretty grim now so I would not want to prolong it.

However, it is easy to say and very hard to do when they mean so much to you and only you can know when you will feel ready to take that step. No-one on here would condemn you so don't feel pressured into doing something that you don't feel is right.

Leandy

Visit site
I agree with you, I would not give the steriods for the reasons you have given. You are going to have to make this decision relatively soon it seems whatever so I'd say do it now before the situation becomes acute or distressing. It sounds as though the pony already feels significantly unwell and I would not want to delay in those circumstances.

Annagain

Visit site
You're doing the right thing. I'm just sorry that you have to.

If the steroids were going to aid recovery I'd say they were worth a try but all they're going to do is possibly buy you a bit more time or possibly make things worse. The risks outweigh the benefits and it won't be any easier for you in a month or two months, especially with winter coming. Hugs.