Poo picking revelation...my world is transformed.

Mongoose11

Visit site
Sooooo, who here uses a little pooper scooper and mini rake to poo pick their field? I too was just like you and spent time diligently hunched over, raking up my horse's offerings..

NO more!

Today I watched a girl at my new yard clearing her poop (her horse's poop) with a shavings fork. 'I'll give that a go', I thought.

Man alive, what a revelation! Took me half the time. I have no idea why it didn't occur to me to try it before now. Who kept that ****** secret!? Give it a go!

Last edited:

Boxers

Visit site
I use a medium trug bucket on it's side and scrape the poop in using a small fork, like a gardeners hand fork. It's easy. And thankfully our YO lets us use a kibota (small truck) to put it in, so no wheelbarrows to lug round the field.

A shavings fork only works if the poop is on short grazed grass. It's absolutely no good in long grass.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Shavings fork fine, except for mini-persons rabbit style droppings! :biggrin3:

Mind you, have adapted my own way with poo-bucket & scraper after having ankle injury etc:
Poo bucket on the floor right against pile, lean on handle to anchor, wield scraper side of picker using both hands on the handle & scrape poo into bucket - can get at least 3 if not 4 mini-pony piles in :cool3: tip into barrow. (never use the rake side, except on rare occasions to level floor of one of the shelters if passing :)

iconique

Visit site
prefer the rubber matting version of the shavings fork myself - it means there is nothing to catch or stab (Particularly if grass is a bit longer), as found on normal shavings forks! :)

Echo24

Visit site
I must be the biggest numpty in the world as I find it much harder to poo pick with a shavings fork! Doesn't pick up all the poo, it crumbles leaving lots of little bits behind which is then a nightmare to then pick up with the shavings fork. And when you find a fresh, beast of a poo, it doesn't fit in the shavings fork and is far too heavy to lift into the wheelbarrow!

Poop scoop for my I'm afraid!

ihatework

Visit site
I'm with you echo24, just cannot do the paddocks with a shavings fork.
The newer poop scoops with the big buckets and hand rakes are so much better than the old style ones

Bobbly

Visit site
I agree with Fuzzy F, I use the blade side of the long handled version scraper, much easier, and my mini girls poo's don't get missed then. But then my hubby generally does the poo picking anyway but I think he does the same :)

Visit site
I use the red plastic snow scrapers with the long handles, always use this in my stable for mucking out too. Saves the back no end

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Wheelbarrow, pair of marigolds and a tub trug. You get about three poos in the trug so don't have to move the wheel barrow so much. I didn't think it would work but it did! Happily these days we harrow and top instead.

Tinypony

Visit site
I find the shavings fork really awkward to use. I purchased a child's garden rake from a garden centre and use that with the bucket. I use the buckets with longer handles as well, not the short ones.

Moomin1

Visit site
I find the shavings fork really awkward to use. I purchased a child's garden rake from a garden centre and use that with the bucket. I use the buckets with longer handles as well, not the short ones.

One of my mare's poos would a) snap a child's rake, and b) fill a bucket in one go. Lol!!

windand rain

Visit site
I must be the biggest numpty in the world as I find it much harder to poo pick with a shavings fork! Doesn't pick up all the poo, it crumbles leaving lots of little bits behind which is then a nightmare to then pick up with the shavings fork. And when you find a fresh, beast of a poo, it doesn't fit in the shavings fork and is far too heavy to lift into the wheelbarrow!

Poop scoop for my I'm afraid!
Me too much prefer a scoop and only takes 15 minutes to do 4 acres and 4 ponies daily so certainly not a long job

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I always used to use a shavings for but it is very annoying in long grass or weedy bits.

I either use a long handled stubbs scoop or in short grass the shavings fork!

AngieandBen

Visit site
This is me...but for me it is gardening gloves, lol. No issues with my back as I bend my knees. I miss poo picking...how sad is that?

Me too, takes about 15 mins a day with 3 horses. When you're a shortie like me, most shavings forks are just too big! Can't beat rubber gloves :)

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Plastic bag over my hand and a wheelbarrow. Then I just turn plastic back inside out, tie it and chuck it.

Though life-saving groom, Flip, does everything at the moment.