Poo picking virgin

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
Don't judge me - I've never had to poo pick before, ever! Omg, I hate it. Is there a knack to it? My shavings fork was getting tangled in the grass/weeds and it took me forever to get it all up :(

Think I'd rather muck out 10 stables than poo pick one field.

On the bright side, had a fab hack on my boy! First time I've rode him since he came back from full livery on a grass free track following lami. I relished every second. Bad news is that his saddle is no longer a good fit, desperately need a new one fitting before we can start any proper work.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I prefer to use a scoop with a rake (and have converted both parents to this method too and we have adjustable height ones ;) ) after years of using gloves. Much better for my back.

JulesRules

Visit site
A proper trug and rake is much quicker but rubber gardening gloves are useful in long grass.
A friend who was helping me over summer likened using a rake in long grass to combing dreadlocks!

My best tip is do it every day. If you do it every day it only takes a few minutes.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I use a poop scoop with the longer handle and the flat side of the little rake that comes with it plus gloves for the longer grass. Trundle round with my wheelbarrow and find it quite relaxing, except when Mr Helpful wanders over and knocks the barrow over :)

SEL

Visit site
I prefer it to mucking out! Sense of achievement looking at a nice clean field....for all of 5 mins.

I do it every day and then it doesn't seem so bad. Much easier on short grass and I use a proper poo picking rake thing.

HashRouge

Visit site
Are you poo picking in long grass OP? It's much harder than short grass! I use my shavings fork and it's easy peasy on my well grazed field, but hard work on long grass! Try a poop scoop as others have suggested. It also depends how many horses are on the field. Picking up after two is fine, but lots of horses produce an awful lot of poo!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site

meleeka

Visit site
I’d be complaining if I had to use a shavings fork too! I use a scoop and a rake and it’s much easier and quicker that way. One of mine does massive piles so the flexible takes don’t work, the solid type are much better.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
After years of rubber gloves and a trug tipped into a wheelbarrow I switched to a poop scoop and rake which is quicker and easier. However I don’t use the rake that comes with the scoop. I use one like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Faulks-C...62b55a61650ac1924a2ace1fff2ce67&ul_noapp=true

Also when I buy another I think I’m going to get a bigger one like this which also comes with a short handled fork.

https://www.redpostequestrian.co.uk...uHAU9zMNQ0boT0_mRIHXIT2iFTIgPzL8aAvJ-EALw_wcB

Yep me too, big bucket and short handled rake. I prefer the gardening hand rakes as the tines are flat for extra poo flicking power :)

Archangel

Visit site
I hate poo picking. I would rather have a root canal than poo pick.

Aside from the obviously sensible suggestions above I would:
Swap current horse for Shetland pony for smaller poos
Move horse to enormous field where you need binoculars to spot him and no chance of poo picking

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
Ah thanks guys, I definitely need to invest in poo picking tools! There are three horses and my poo machine/Highland...I think it is done most days so not too much to get on top of :) I was feeling a bit sorry for myself last night, coming down with a chest infection and had a bit of a sulk after an hour of frustrating poo picking, lol.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Just FYI, in case youre not sure, you would expect 10-12 poos per day per horse, so assuming you have a field share rota you'll know if someone isnt pulling their weight in poo :)

Orangehorse

Visit site
I use a scoop with a handle that reaches the top of my leg, which I can use to balance and put a bit of weight on, plus a metal short-handled rake that I bought from a tack shop for about £12.00. This is quick and easy.

Coblover63

Visit site
I have a children's size garden rake which I bought from Aldi for £3 and it is way better than the equine rake that comes with a scoop. The tines are perfectly distanced for poo picking and make a quick job of PP.

joosie

Visit site
I am clearly in the minority but a shavings fork is my tool of choice! I won't poo pick with anything else, I don't like using anything I have to bend down for as I get a sore back & like someone else above I find the poo picking rakes end up hurting my delicate little wrists!

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
Score! Found the purple skip thing and a rake in my Mum's shed ;) I do have a vague recollection of buying the skip and a small handheld rake YEARS ago. Poo picking is soooooo much easier now, thanks guys...it's sad how excited I am by this.

hYPvdMl.jpg

VFIoghR.jpg

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
That is the scoop I use, but the rake is slightly different.

It worked really well :) think I'm going to put a trug bucket in the barrow tomorrow so I can lift it straight into the muck heap rather than throwing it up (it's in a trailer). Also planning to wear my marigolds tomorrow to get the last few bits up, totally OCD lol