Poo whilst on restricted grazing

chased by bees

Visit site
We've had to restrict our ponies grazing track/strip grazing, to prevent laminitis. They are all very very good doers. They've dropped down to only doing 3/4 poo a day each though. Due to the shorter grass we think. They're are in good fettle, very active, coats coming through well and are a good weight. Can feel ribs but not see them so don't want to give more grass access if we can help it. Is there a minimum amount they can poo before ulcers etc become a problem. I can't find any research on this at all.

meleeka

Visit site
I always feed hay alongside restricted grazing, soaked if necessary. I’m far too soft and mine know exactly which buttons to push with me,’so tell me they are starving otherwise.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Mine is also producing 4-5 per 24h at the moment. They aren't like bullets so I'm not too worried. He's in a restricted pen as he's laminitis-prone (had it ten years ago) and at the moment he looks great. He gets chaff and a vit/min supplement, and I also give him a flap of hay. I also move the fence a bit most days so he's getting some more grass. I do think about ulcers, but as he's never had them before and he always has something to nibble on I'm not too concerned. As mentioned above, if you don't think they should be given more grass, but want more going through them, soaked hay is a good idea.

Leo Walker

Visit site
My sec a on restricted grazing over night, limited soaked hay during the day does 8-10 in 24 hours, she is losing weight nicely but any less would concern me as she does have a history of mild gassy colic.

Same. I feed mine a mix of hay and straw. If they do less than 8 poos a day they don't have enough forage so I up it.

ihatework

Visit site
I suppose this is about knowing your horse/pony and what’s normal for them. There is probably also an element of size of droppings.

My big fella is on as much as he can eat. 14 hours of good grass overnight, 10 hours with ad-lib haylage and 2 hard feeds. He does 10 poos a day. So I can quite imagine if he was on a restricted diet he would do half that number

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I suppose this is about knowing your horse/pony and what’s normal for them. There is probably also an element of size of droppings.

this
I pick up 5 from the field and 3 from the stable for my sec D
and 6 field, 6 stable for my TB
Both have forage available all the time but even so the numbers (and size of droppings) are really different :)

Follysmum

Visit site
I have always strip grazed my ponies and feed hay in a trickle net, both have no shoes). They usually do about 10/12 each over 24hrs. I do give them a slither of extra grass if needed, also if it rains and it’s sunny and there’s a bit of a flush I will reduce it again. After 12yrs this has been the usual routine which has worked well for them.

chased by bees

Visit site
Going to get a big bale of straw. If they are actually hungry they'll eat it. If we give some out a few times a day. Just to make sure more fibres going through. Will keep looking to see if there's any research on this though.