Poor old girl, anybody interested??

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I do agree with you Magic re rehoming older mares. I have one girl who is in foal and will be 20 next year and she will never leave me - if she does it will be having been PTS. I have known her since she was 6 and tried since then to purchase her to no avail and last year was finally given her...she is in foal for me now to El Thuder and IF she is ok then will go back in foal one last time BUT if not she will live out her days in comfort with me. I have another who will be 18 next year and she will also be the same.

Shame not more owners had your responsible attitude.

eventrider23

Visit site
I honestly could not bear to sell an old girl that has given me service, etc....they deserve enough that if you cannot keep them then to at least ensure they do not end up suffering. I would HATE not knowing where one ended up!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
[QUOTE My thoughts exactly which is why I expressed as I did. I wouldn't see the ad and feel the need to start a thread over this mare. She is cheap though and well bred so hopefully will have drawn some attention to her for a loving home. .

I didn't start this post about the condition of the mare, although she could look better. Its just that I feel strongly about mares like this that have "served their time" and competed (apparently) to a good standard, are not given the care and respect when they get older. She deserves better than to be offered for meat money, just to move her on.
Lets just hope that she goes to a knowledgeable home that will look after her properly.[/QUOTE]

Let's hope so.

AM, I don't see where SF says that she looks A OK! She's saying that she doesn't look as bad as people are making out. I must admit that when I read the first couple of responses I was expecting to see a complete mess, whereas this mare wouldn't take too much feeding and an MOT to get her looking spot on again.

TBH no the mare doesn't look in perfect nick but not many older mares that have had several foals and are unrugged, etc WOULD look perfect. Overall she isn't horrendous at all and i am sure if you went to lots of studs around the country you would see mares very similar. Her feet that you can see, etc look ok and so she probably just needs a bit of TLC if in a one horse home.

I honestly could not bear to sell an old girl that has given me service, etc....they deserve enough that if you cannot keep them then to at least ensure they do not end up suffering. I would HATE not knowing where one ended up!

Sorry for so many multi-quotes but just had to agree with what you have all said.

Rollin

Visit site
My oldest horse is 32 and still does a gentle hack.

I would love to take on this old girl but shipping her would cost. I hope someone takes her on imo she is not that old.

Luci07

Visit site
Seems we are confusing old mares and what an old broodie would look like. I have seen old broodmares and they don't look brilliant if you are used to seeing animals that are in work and reasonably toned. However if you look beyond the dropped stomach and lack of muscle the the horse should still look well covered. Glad the mare has found a home (well I am being optimistic here)

In The Real World

Visit site
Hi people

Well what a lovely person whos selling her....NOT! I rang up about this mare and made a realistic offer considering the distance I would need to travel and OMG - he explains to me in a matter of fact way that, shes £275 and not a penny less as the meatman will give him that anyway:mad:

What a **** house

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Hi people

Well what a lovely person whos selling her....NOT! I rang up about this mare and made a realistic offer considering the distance I would need to travel and OMG - he explains to me in a matter of fact way that, shes £275 and not a penny less as the meatman will give him that anyway:mad:

What a **** house

He is right meat value would be about that maybe £300 anyway I was given this info
29/11/2011

Hi

Sorry but I am affraid I have sold this mare now, I do have some other mares what is it your looking for.

Thanks

Nigel

On 29 November 2011 10:53, <website@horsemart.co.uk> wrote:

Hi, Do you have any other photos of this mare? Also can you provide full breeding & confirm which stud book she is reg with please. Very interested but due to her age would like further info thank you

eventrider23

Visit site
Hi people

What a **** house

I am loathe to say it but I would be inclined to agree with the owner there as £275 for a well bred mare is a pittance and I know I wouldn't budge on a price that low. After all, if you are far away then I would say don't look at horses too far for you to travel to as surely if you were looking to buy something otherwise that would have been more expensive you would have had to travel anyway? Sorry if that isn't something you would like to hear but I think it is fair enough to bargain on a price of something if it is at a decent price but if something is so cheap then it becomes almost insulting. For example, I had a lovely pony colt to rehome not long ago (long story) and had someone contact me saying they only wanted a gelding but would be prepared to take him off my hands for FREE if I paid for him to be gelded as they had a long journey to collect him. I'm sorry but my answer was an unequivocal no as amongst other things I said was that not only do you not barter for something free/so cheap but in their case, if they only wanted a gelding and so wanted me to have it gelded at my expense and then give away then don't look at colts.

southsidestud

Visit site
I enquired about this mare, she had no passport, as it was lost in 200 other passports, he didnt have breeding papers, nor from what he could see, did she have a brand. She was brought in a deal with other horses,so in my eyes there was no proof she was Holstein. I would have brought her, as i felt sorry for her,I dont think we can blame her current condition on the current owner,as from what i gather he has not had her long, and he basically wanted to re~coup his money back. He is a Horse and Hound forum user.

char3479

Visit site
Just to let you know I bought this mare on Christmas Eve and she is now tucked up in a warm rug, in a big stable, on a deep bed with plenty of hay.
She is in very poor condition but I'm feeding her up slowly & vet will be out tomorrow.
Hopefully she will build up and her foal will start getting what it needs. I'll certainly do my best, poor old lady.
Will keep you updated.

rockysmum

Visit site
Just to let you know I bought this mare on Christmas Eve and she is now tucked up in a warm rug, in a big stable, on a deep bed with plenty of hay.
She is in very poor condition but I'm feeding her up slowly & vet will be out tomorrow.
Hopefully she will build up and her foal will start getting what it needs. I'll certainly do my best, poor old lady.
Will keep you updated.

Thats lovely, another nice Christmas story, you will have to keep us updated :D :D

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
Will keep you updated.

That's made my christmas!! great news, is she a nice girl? bet she is a happy girl anyway. :) xx

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Will keep you updated.

Now why did he reply weeks ago (29 Nov) that she had been sold?? Glad to hear she has found a home though.

Clodagh

Visit site
Will keep you updated.

Such fantastic news - well done.

kerilli

Visit site
Will keep you updated.

that's wonderful news for her, you, and her unborn foal (if she's in foal.) i hope your kindness is amply rewarded.

char3479

Visit site
I know this is an old thread now, but I thought I'd let you know that the subject of the thread, the old mare, who became my old mare, aka Coco, was put to sleep today after many years of living happily. She was always a lovely, gentle lady and my two old geldings, who have lived with her for the past nine years and adored her, will miss her as much as I will. 180782502_1715951161922363_6109158941519745857_n.jpg