Poor people

Birker2020

Visit site
Already a thread about that, but I do think that both stories speak to the fact that people do less research into buying a dog than they do into buying a toaster, then wonder why things go wrong and blame everyone except themselves.
To be honest I think these folks have a bit of a cheek, but there you go.....
I know they probably do.

Their five year old daughter has said to Mummy "please don't let Bella go to the angels, you can have the money out of my piggy bank".

I'm sure that will help raise the money ten times over. ;)

smolmaus

Visit site
I know they probably do.

Their five year old daughter has said to Mummy "please don't let Bella go to the angels, you can have the money out of my piggy bank".

I'm sure that will help raise the money ten times over. ;)
Just beautiful.

My hamster said to me just this morning "it's amazing what poignant things children will say when their parents need charity after making a very stupid decision, can I have more seeds please"

SOS

Visit site
I would have titled this poor dog and stupid people.

Unfortunately I agree. Did they not research how to buy a puppy before getting one? Imagine committing to something for potentially 10-15 years without even reading a basic article first.

Proof of vet check, it was 11 weeks old and hadn’t been to the vets, why? Most puppies are vaccinated at 8 weeks. That should of been a red flag. Did they insure from the point of purchase? Nope, why? Did they think nothing ever goes wrong with dogs - after all children and other young living things never get ill do they:rolleyes:

Grrr sorry I’m ranting but cmon, they don’t deserve a go fund me. The dog deserves the operation but I can’t agree the owners deserve the dog back after!

SilverLinings

Visit site
It isn't that unheard of to end up with a vet bill of £3,000 for a dog at some point in their life, so if they can't afford it (or insurance) then why did they buy one? I'm getting a bit fed up with people running straight to SM and expecting their sob story to generate donations for a pet they chose to buy; at the end of the day it's just begging, pure and simple. Having animals is a lifestyle choice (and I'm saying that as someone who would struggle to live without them) that you are responsible for yourself. After loosing my last dog and then moving areas I am currently dogless as the situation I can offer wouldn't be fair on a dog (I work long hours and also go away for work)- I hate not having a dog, but would struggle even more knowing my selfishness was causing one to suffer if I just went out and got one. Equally, I could afford another horse, but buying another one would reduce the level of care I could offer to all of them, so I don't.

I am rapidly going off humanity as we see more and more cases where pets are bought as a toy/accessory/statement and suffer as a result, it is so selfish, thoughtless and often outright cruel.

Sorry, rant over!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
My favourite, in the days before online funding platforms, was the one where a guy who had never been in a city before, decided to let his dogs off the lead on the city walls. One dog went straight off, splat onto the road below and broke at least two, if not more, legs. Not insured. Straight onto the local radio station asking for donations.

SilverLinings

Visit site
My favourite, in the days before online funding platforms, was the one where a guy who had never been in a city before, decided to let his dogs off the lead on the city walls. One dog went straight off, splat onto the road below and broke at least two, if not more, legs. Not insured. Straight onto the local radio station asking for donations.

:oops:
Clearly some sort of IQ/common sense test should be required before you can buy an animal. I hope the dog recovered fully, it didn't deserve an owner like that.

some show

Visit site
It isn't that unheard of to end up with a vet bill of £3,000 for a dog at some point in their life, so if they can't afford it (or insurance) then why did they buy one? I'm getting a bit fed up with people running straight to SM and expecting their sob story to generate donations for a pet they chose to buy

Agree so much. If you buy anything in life you should take responsibility and do what you can/research what you need to to ensure it's not a mistake e.g. buying a second hand car. These people probably paid a couple of thousand for this puppy and lined the pockets of some crap 'breeders' in the process.

Clodagh

Visit site
Agree so much. If you buy anything in life you should take responsibility and do what you can/research what you need to to ensure it's not a mistake e.g. buying a second hand car. These people probably paid a couple of thousand for this puppy and lined the pockets of some crap 'breeders' in the process.
And seeing it was 11 weeks old it had probably already been sold once.

usaequestrian

Visit site
In the U.S you have to go through a strict procedure/questionnaire to adopt a dog from a shelter. I think it's to make sure the dog doesn't end up with a unresponsible owner that will return the dog to the shelter. Not sure if adopting dogs is the same in the U.K?

some show

Visit site
In the U.S you have to go through a strict procedure/questionnaire to adopt a dog from a shelter. I think it's to make sure the dog doesn't end up with a unresponsible owner that will return the dog to the shelter. Not sure if adopting dogs is the same in the U.K?

For the reputable rescues, definitely the same here yeah! They do homechecks and ask all about your lifestyle, family, ask for vet references, want your garden fences to be a certain height etc. Unfortunately the rigorous nature of the conditions is what causes a lot of people to say 'adopting from a rescue is too difficult, I'll get a dog from one of these unscrupulous websites instead'. Or buy a puppy.

usaequestrian

Visit site
For the reputable rescues, definitely the same here yeah! They do homechecks and ask all about your lifestyle, family, ask for vet references, want your garden fences to be a certain height etc. Unfortunately the rigorous nature of the conditions is what causes a lot of people to say 'adopting from a rescue is too difficult, I'll get a dog from one of these unscrupulous websites instead'. Or buy a puppy.

Yep same here in the U.S. Most rescues near where I live won't even let you adopt a dog if you don't have a fence. I don't have a fence so I wouldn't be able to adopt.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Maybe a silly question - can you have a dog vetted as you do a horse?

Yep, breeder could have asked their vet to provide a health check letter/certificate which has its limitations but would have absolutely picked up the giant whooshy heart murmur, they could also have provided 4/5wk free insurance cover, but what’s the betting that this pup never saw a vet in its first 11 weeks.

Petalpoos

Visit site
All my puppies have come with a few months’ puppy insurance included from the Kennel Club, but I have always been stupid enough to buy them from reputable breeders. If I had paid a bit (lot) more I guess I could have bought a mongrel with a cute portmanteau breed name with pick up at the local garage. What a pity that no one ever tells you about this anywhere ?

I bet they will get their crowdfunding money anyway.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
The trouble is that people who aren't already dog owners just have no idea of the problems they might be laying themselves open to. All of us on the 'inside' as it were are only too well aware. A woman in my office had booked a Bichon Frise puppy from a kennel in Wales. I googled it and lovely website, lots of lovely dogs shown but they didn't breed BFs which was a huge warning flag to me, that and them being in Wales. She hadn't even met the pup but was booked to collect it on a particular date. Then suddenly it was cancelled, pup wasn't available but they would have another for her a bit later on. I jumped in at this point, told her what I thought and advised her to back out and source a pup more locally. She found a gorgeous little bitch pup bred by a family not too far away, was able to see the mum and the home it came from and all was well. Lovely healthy little dog that has now travelled to France and Spain with them. She had no clue about puppy farms and a glossy website totally fooled her as she did not know what warning flags to look for.