Poor people

[158444]

Visit site
I read the article and beast is the dog that killed little jack not this poor girl but from what I understood from the article is that it's a brown bully type dog who killed her.

janem_g

Visit site
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...attack-Mother-raises-2-000-funeral-costs.html

I can't find the original thread for this case but more details have been released (please excuse the source).. it was apparently an entire, adult, XL Bully (take that with a pinch of salt, the DM wouldn't know the ar*e from the nose of a dog) who has already had three different homes and was called 'Beast' so you can easily guess how it was raised. The grandfather of the child had bought it intending to churn puppies out of it. I'm glad they chose such a well trained and balanced dog, they clearly did their research(!) They have funded the little girls funeral using GoFundMe, which I won't express an opinion on.

Yet another numpty wanting a status dog with no idea what to do with one. They have also referred to it interestingly as a 'tragic accident' which aren't the words I would have chosen. It seems crass to be pulling apart the family when they have suffered such a loss, but this was a predictable situation with an outcome obvious to anyone with dog experience. Where does it end?!
I have very strong opinions on Go Fundme and in particular for this. I work in the funeral industry and no one that I know charges for the funeral of a child Not the fd, the celebrant, etc so and there is also government support for the costs that are incurred so no one needs to be spending thousands.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
God, that was grim reading.
What also should be taken notice of, is the amount of people killed following injuries sustained whilst suffering a fit :(

I was a latchkey kid and spent a lot of time alone with family dog and what small amount of friends I had, did too. But it isn't something I would advocate. Having seen how quickly aroused and over-threshold a dog can get get over a seemingly innocuous trigger, and having stuck my hand into a dog fight or two (ow) I don't think it's worth it. Even if you **do** know the signs and the build up in stress, sometimes these things can happen in the blink of an eye.

Clodagh

Visit site
God, that was grim reading.
What also should be taken notice of, is the amount of people killed following injuries sustained whilst suffering a fit :(

I was a latchkey kid and spent a lot of time alone with family dog and what small amount of friends I had, did too. But it isn't something I would advocate. Having seen how quickly aroused and over-threshold a dog can get get over a seemingly innocuous trigger, and having stuck my hand into a dog fight or two (ow) I don't think it's worth it. Even if you **do** know the signs and the build up in stress, sometimes these things can happen in the blink of an eye.
Idk if I would now, but I was a pretty rubbish parent overall.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
That list is very depressing and scary. I seriously do wonder why people get these dogs. My rescue poodle is very reactive and I wouldn't ever leave him alone with my niece and nephew as despite Toby being very good in general, they don't have dogs at home and are not super dog friendly - they want to maul him and play with him.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Also what horrifies me on that list is how many people mix responsibility for animals and/or children whilst under the influences of drugs/alcohol. (Maybe that's judgy of me, but still.)

Not really judgey, same with 'operating heavy machinery'. I also have noticed, at least one of my dogs HATED it when I had drink on board and didn't like to be around me. It 'changes' people and that can make dogs very unsure/unsettled, then add another stressor into the mix like a noisy or fast-moving child......

[153312]

Visit site
You really, really can't infer anything from that list about the relevance of breed in the likelihood of a dog attacking. Bite incidents, never mind attacks and fatalities, will always be hugely multi fauceted things and trying to boil it down to something as simple as breed just is silly. Everything from age of the person, location, dog's training, human's behaviour, and yes, breed as well, and many, many, many other things is going to be involved.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You really, really can't infer anything from that list about the relevance of breed in the likelihood of a dog attacking. Bite incidents, never mind attacks and fatalities, will always be hugely multi fauceted things and trying to boil it down to something as simple as breed just is silly. Everything from age of the person, location, dog's training, human's behaviour, and yes, breed as well, and many, many, many other things is going to be involved.

I think it's possible to infer something from 43 out of 56 fatalities being caused by bull breeds when there are far more non-bull breed dogs , isn't it?

[153312]

Visit site
IMO. No. Could be certain types of training being used on those types of dog, certain types of people owning those dogs, loads of things. Yes, maybe also a genetic predisposition in those dogs to be aggressive, but potentially also other things too. I wouldn't rule it out but I don't think it's something anyone can be sure of to a reasonable degree.

bonny

Visit site
IMO. No. Could be certain types of training being used on those types of dog, certain types of people owning those dogs, loads of things. Yes, maybe also a genetic predisposition in those dogs to be aggressive, but potentially also other things too. I wouldn't rule it out but I don't think it's something anyone can be sure of to a reasonable degree.
We can be sure that if there were no bull breeds the number of fatalities would be 13 instead of 56. That’s the simple answer, just stop having them in our midst.

Clodagh

Visit site
I think it's possible to infer something from 43 out of 56 fatalities being caused by bull breeds when there are far more non-bull breed dogs , isn't it?
I agree with you. It’s never a popular opinion on here but at the end of the day you are more likely to die if attacked by a pit bull than by a chihuahua.

ycbm

Visit site

We can be sure they have been responsible for an overwhelmingly disproportionate number of deaths.

We aren't going to be able to stop idiots owning them while it's legal to do so or force people to take training while it's legal not to, so for me, the overwhelming majority of deaths being caused by bull breeds is very relevant.

I would liken this to gun licensing. All guns can potentially kill, some are more likely to kill than others, the ones more likely to kill are licensed and the ones most likely to be used by someone out of control to kill are banned.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I think people forget that after the word Staffordshire Bull and Pit Bull comes the word 'terrier'. It's that tenacity and fight drive which makes them formidable in the face of what they see as a threat, or prey, those are the 'qualities' which are bred into their derivatives. The 'bull' part is reflected in size/weight, body type and face shape.
There is more than one type of terrier on that list but I wouldn't dream of saying that all terriers should be banned.
It's the high prey, nervy, Scrappy Doo, hold me back, attitude of little terriers which people think is funny in small dogs, in a different package.

If it wasn't bull breeds, it would be another large, powerful status dog for a lot of people. Banning the original five doesn't seem to have stopped dog attacks.

Smitty

Visit site
I spent much of my childhood being bitten by a poodle, then smacked by mother for annoying it. I absolutely hate anything 'Poodley' but I never so much as needed a trip to the Dr, let alone anything worse.

Mum bred Alsations just after the 2nd WW and Granny had one of the offspring. I used to ride on her back when I was tiny, she would stand guard over my baby sister in her pram and was altogether brilliant with me and my cousins when we were very small but I NEVER recollect being alone with her.

skinnydipper

Visit site
We can be sure that if there were no bull breeds the number of fatalities would be 13 instead of 56. That’s the simple answer, just stop having them in our midst.

We aren't going to be able to stop idiots owning them while it's legal to do so or force people to take training while it's legal not to, so for me, the overwhelming majority of deaths being caused by bull breeds is very relevant.

So, you've banned all the bullies - that's a lot of breeds btw including Bostons, Frenchies, and Boxers.

What now?

Do you think that the scutters will stop owning dogs or do you think they might keep GSDs, Dobies or Malinois?

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
You couldn't get near my pram with one of my Mum's GSDs, not even my Dad. She ended up having him PTS, he was a beautiful dog but an utter liability. Is that a dog being 'protective'? Or just possessive and a bit insecure. His grandfather was a working policedog and his sire was an international champion but both known for being sharp as hell.
A stable dog doesn't see everyone and everything as a threat IMO.

Clodagh

Visit site
I have taken on board all the arguments against banning bull breeds, while still thinking they are bred to be effective biting machines.
Seeing as there are no limitations on how dangerous a dog is and equally no limitations on how stupid people are, are there any legislative controls that could help?

ycbm

Visit site
So, you've banned all the bullies - that's a lot of breeds btw including Bostons, Frenchies, and Boxers.

What now?

Do you think that the scutters will stop owning dogs or do you think they might keep GSDs, Dobies or Malinois?

I don't think I argued for banning anything.