Poorly princess (Dont look if squeemish!)

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk
So I was in bed yesterday with the flu feeling like death, not to mention nearly 8 months pregnant when the phone rings....
Little voice says "Can you come to the yard, Coryn has cut her leg!"
So theres me thinking, is it REALLY that bad that I have to get out of my death bed to come and look at a "cut"!!!
YES, IT BLOODY WAS!!!
The horses had been charing around (dont know what had set them off) and Coryn had jumped the fence and that wire that runs along the top of the fence to stop them chewing it, got caught in her back legs - OUCH -
Bloody wire, it DOESNT stop them eating the fence anyway!! So Ill be out there with my wire cutters and a pot of creasote at the weekend.
Anywho, got to the yard all wrapped up in any item of clothing I picked up of my bedroom floor to find the following.......
Photo-0337.jpg

Photo-0336.jpg

Photo-0335.jpg

Photo-0332.jpg

Photo-0330.jpg

Photo-0328.jpg

Photo-0327.jpg

Photo-0326.jpg

After LOTS of sedationtion Coryn was away with the faries.....
Photo-0334.jpg

Photo-0333.jpg

Two and a half hours later, the left leg was stapled back together and looking quite good and the right leg had to be stitched as it was very deep and a real mess!
The vet had a job to stitch all of it, as there was some skin missing so nothing to stitch together!
DSC01443.jpg

Oh and a bucket of gore later.....
Photo-0341.jpg

So its two weeks box rest for madam now, but shes not alone as she is under the watchful eye of Archie as always!.....
DSC01445.jpg

Vet came back thismorning to check the wounds and change the dressings and she was really pleased with how it all looked.....
Leg that was stapled...
DSC01440.jpg

Leg that was stitched....
DSC01442.jpg

DSC01441.jpg

Bit higher up the leg that couldnt be stitched....
DSC01443.jpg

And all put back together ready to go back to bed....
DSC01439.jpg

Mummies brave little (ahem big) princess :0)
DSC01444.jpg

posie_honey

Visit site
flipping heck what a mess :eek:
sending her healing vibes for quick recovery :)
my mare has just started being ridden again after time off for a cut so i can empathise

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk
I have to say, the vet did an AMAZING job.
My usual vet is in Germany at the mo, so didnt know who I would get, but she was fab and if I wasnt full of flu I would have hugged and kissed her!!!!!

Im off to the docs now to see if I can get myself fixed!!!

cobgirlie

Visit site
Wow that's a mess!! Your vet has done a fabulous job cleaning that up, all credit to them. Good luck with the box rest and hope you feel better soon.

Fairynuff

Visit site
shiiiiiiiiiiiite, that made my teeth curl! Im sure she will be as good as new tomorrow and you will continue to be very pregnant till the right moment! Horses were sent to test us (and our bank accounts!). M.xxxx

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Ouchie - Vet did a good job there. My Daughters TB did a similar thing, she rolled next to the fence got a leg under, she panicked and yanked it out cheese wiring a section of flesh off the front of her leg so nothing to stitch back. Took months to heal. The wire was removed as soon as the vet had gone. Would never have wire again any where(even though it was well tensioned etc). Good luck with her recovery - hope your tummy doesnt make cleaning and bandaging too difficult, I lost the abilty to bend in the middle at about 8months!.

cobgirlie

Visit site
brilliant clean up job!!!!!! Now get down to your local health food shop for some manuka honey to help it along. Even our anti-anything-herbal vets are rcomending it now!

I'll second that!!! My mum bought me some expensive body lotion with manuka honey in and I used it after getting sun burn this summer (the 1 sunny day remember???), and it was all sorted by the next morning!! I use it on everything now, on the horses, dogs and me!!!:D

Visit site
Oooooh poor girly! But I agree, what a fab job your vet did! Hope she is soon feeling better!

I too had trouble with wire. My boy was tarting with the girls and at the time we just had straight wire fence seperating them, after doing his "I'm a stud impression" and striking out, he severed his fetlock! His tendon sheath became septic and had to have a big operation with only hours to live. Needless to say i was livid after voicing concerns about the bloody fence, so all the liveries got together and paid, not only paid but also put up post and rail fencing for the cow of a yard owner to go and staple wire between the rails!