Positive Farrier Posts

sophiebailey

Visit site
We have Ross Phillips to shoe Bailey, always punctual, easy to get hold of, very helpful, always does a great job and has come back to look at Baileys hooves for free when I was concerned they were cracking.

He's also a very nice guy and his dog is brilliant fun :)

Queenbee

Visit site
It's nice to hear positive reports, there are some fantastic farriers out there, my farrier has been doing my horses for 11 yrs, he'd rather see them barefoot but he also puts on a cracking set of shoes, he is not someone who shoes for shoeing's sake, neither is he afraid to leave the shoes on for longer than 6-8 weeks, my
Mares feet grew so slowly that we often went for 12 weeks before a re shoe and slight trim. Many a time he'd turn up to trim them when they were barefoot and send me off on a good hack to self trim and save me the money :D. I trust him with my horses and completely, he dealt with a cob who absolutely hated her legs being touched, my stroppy diva ebony who was a cow in her younger days, and now with Ben my baby... He never shouts or hits them, just digs in and does his job and does it well. But my biggest praise for him is that he came out and took ebonys shoes off the morning she was pts, and refused to take payment for it. I absolutely adore my farrier, for his skill and the way he handles my horses, wouldn't swop him for all the tea in china :D

muddygreymare

Visit site
Our 2 farriers are great (have 2 as one shoes most of the ones on the yard and has known my sister's new horse since he was tiny, and the other one knows my horse really well so we use him for her). We use Roger Alty and Richard Helliwell, both in Cumbria. Both are brilliant, cant reccomend them enough :)

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
My old farrier was very unreliable. He once left Mac with no hind shoe for 3 weeks. Was calling him every day.

I now use Danny Brown, have done for about 2 years now, and he is fantastic! Always on time, more often than not early, and on the rare occasions he does run late, will always call or text and let me know.

FFAQ

Visit site
Very good post! As an EP, I occasionally get people with shod horses ring me to ask about farriers in Devon. I've only ever had 3 farriers, and would only recommend the last one (Leigh Rogers), but he seems to have fallen off the planet - no one I know has heard from him since he broke his ankle last year. Shame, he was always on time, and pretty patient with the horses. Good to hear about Andy Bowyer though - I will remember his name to recommend to shod horse owners!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
This is an old thread but just wanted to say my farrier Terry Pitman is brilliant his helped me through pedal bone infection fitting a surgical plate, then helped with laminitis fitting heart bars, he does a great job on my Arabs feet his always on time and calls when his running late we also have a good chat and a laugh.

Copperpot

Visit site
My farrier is great. Always turns up and when they were shod, lost shoes were replaced 99% within 24 hours. He suggested I try without shoes to see how my horse went and so far so good.

XxCoriexX

Visit site
I LOVE my farrier! After my horse had a serious accident (leg stuck in fence with cast and box rest for 3 months) she was understandably scared of people holding onto her back legs, my previous farrier didn't give her any time to get used to it or try to work with her at all and it basically ended with him saying that she was a dangerous horse and he wouldn't have anything to do with her. Cue me in a complete panic trying to find a new farrier!
Finally managed to get a hold of Georgie and I explained the situation.....she has worked wonders for my horse! Never gets angry when she needs her leg back and just works away quietly! It has even gotten to the point where I don't need to be there for her to be shod and farrier reports that she is an absolute star now!
She always comes straight out if I think there is an abcess and always calls if she is going to be late! couldn't ask for a more reliable, friendly farrier!

JenHunt

Visit site
lovely to see some positive farrier posts!

we use Felix Diaz - he's wonderful! he always turns up when he says he will and manages to keep 2 not particuarly straight forwards horses right. Tom has sidebone in both fronts and arthritis in his hocks - and yet because his feet are right he usually manages light work with no 'help' from bute. Ron came to me unable to keep front shoes on for more than a week. He now hasn't lost a shoe in over 2 years!

still using Felix, and he's still wonderful for our two 'old men' - Tom has returned to hunting and feels fabulous. Ron still hasn't lost a shoe since I posted originally :D Both boys are 21, and still sound (though we do carefully manage Tom for the sidebone and srthritis, but his joint supplement from Hack Up is the only help he gets really).

pansymouse

Visit site
My farrier, Cliff Barnes, is brilliant; completely pro our horses being bare foot and keeps them that way beautifully. He saved my friend horses' life with some really cutting edge shoeing when he had crippling lami. Cliff is a really innovative, well informed farrier.

Spotsrock

Visit site
Richard Speck near Melton, legend. Always fits me in for any problems, keeps my odd footed tb sound, is kind to my unshod mare and is generally bloody lovely bloke to have at the yard! Used to do my very old mare virtually on his knees coz she was too stiff to hold legs high! His dad's the same, helped Richard out when he was ill one day and recognised my mare almost 20 years after he last shod her!

Michen

Visit site
Aaron Nicholl. He didn't get cross when I went to an EP and always kept up to date with T's progress. Answered every question I ever had about Torres feet in great detail and with huge patience.

And in Torres last month, he went out of his way to speak to one of the only farriers in the UK who had used the easycare shoes to find out how to fit them as I wanted to try them on T. It took about 2.5 hours to shoe him in those and was insanely difficult for a number of reasons, but he was epic throughout.

I think what makes him so fab is that he's open to new stuff and learning and asking other farriers, which so many don't.

william95

Visit site
There've been quite a few positive farrier threads in the past, but happy to contribute again.

Tim Rooney. Brilliant. Nothing is too much trouble, and will come out at the drop of a hat. And has been a fantastic source of support to me over the many years he's been shoeing my horses for.

I'm another Tim Rooney fan! He's been my farrier for 25years and in that time he's never been late or missed an appointment and if I've needed any emergency farriery treatment he is there straight away. He's also a mine of USEFUL horse information. A great, well respected farrier by other farriers too I believe.

applecart14

Visit site
My farrier is very good. My vets has taken xrays of my horses feet and has said that the foot balance was very impressive, so I was delighted and let him know this too!

He is Charlie Emmett and is based in Rowington area of Warwickshire, CV35. He charges £65 for a full set.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have a positive farrier post!
Although new to me personally I've known him and his shoeing years through work and in that time I've never known him loose his temper, raise a hand or get heavy handed with anything.
My horse was awful last week. Injuring him in the process. This week he came back to try again and HE brought ME a doughnut!!!!

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
My farrier, Andy Thompson, has been fantastic with my foal, really patient and quiet but firm. He calls baby Graham 'Gazza' and 'G-Man', and Graham just loves him. He's given him a really good first few experiences with having his feet done. He's also really patient with Graham's mum, who is very nervous about her back legs, and lets her take as much time as she needs to settle.