positive stories of flying dogs from UK to USA

clopper

Visit site
Hi just about to move to USA and have yet to organise my little dogs transport arrangements.

Please can you pass on your positive experiences and things to watch out for.
She is a 6yo terrier in good health. Heading texas so won't take her till Oct so as temp hopefully dropped a little!

Many thanx

Zoisrus

Visit site
Where are you going to in Texas? I lived there for over 12 years, and have flown several borzoi from Houston to the UK. If you tell me where you are wanting to fly into I can give you more information on airlines.

Zoisrus

Visit site
It's Houston
X

My "other" home town :)

Should have asked where in the UK do you want to fly from. Anway you will be looking at flying into IAH - now called George Bush Intercontinental Airport, North Houston.

Do not take any flight except a direct UK - Houston one. That is when mishaps occur on the stop overs.

Airlines direct UK - Houston.

Continental - IAH is their main hub, and they do have a/c kennels there, and also a/c transport for animals to and from the plane. I have used Continental as they have a good reputation generally for shipping pets, and a comprehensive pet shipping programme. They are a bit more costly but they did look after the last borzoi I imported from the USA very well. Heathrow to Houston is one of their direct routes.

British Airways - I have used BA also but not so impressed with their handling of live animals.

I have a friend in Houston who is an animal shipper and she always uses Continental where possible. Ditto from friends who live in the USA Continental seems to be the most popular airlines for shipping pets internally to shows across the US and Canada.

I always put and extra clip on the airline crate door and the lead I always leave attached to the crate is a rope slip type in case anyone feels the need to take the dog out in the animal reception area (Heathrow I have had several friends who have shipped dogs through there and each one has got loose in the handling area!).

Not sure now of the requirements for shipping out of the UK but again Continental are very good at details. You will need a veterinary certificate of health issued within 10 days of travel according to USDA rules. But again Continental will advise you more on this.

Good luck. I've sent you a pm.

suzysparkle

Visit site
We imported one from Alaska to the UK. Used Continental Airlines and he came via Newark. He travelled alone. He arrived clean and happy and was running in harness the next day. I also know of a few other people who have used them, all positive experiences. We paid about £1000 (that included buying a vari kennel and the Newark stop added to the cost). I'm sure it's cheaper going West though.
Continental were the first airline to do the pet passport route into the UK. You arrange through Quickpak and all the prices are online :
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/animals/default.aspx
http://cargo.cocargo.com/cargo/products/quickpak/

I have heard some not so great stories about other airlines but I can't remember who. People like BA I recall insist on you using an agent (ie very expensive) whereas Continental were totally hassle free, deal with you direct and you can call them free from the UK as well. If I were doing it again they would be my only choice.

No idea about what's needed health wise in that direction but I seem to recall it varies between states. I would have thought Continental could advise or at least tell you who is best to ask. Coming this way in order it's microchip, rabies jab, wait 30 days, titre test then wait 6 months from date of blood draw for titre test before entry / passport issue. Then there's the tick and tapeworm 24-48hrs before check-in with the airline.

Woodrock

Visit site
Hi, we transported our dog from Uk to NZ and used a company called Golden Arrow, cannot recommend them enough. Our dog arrived fresher than we did and they were so on the ball. They seem to be highly thought of on all the emigration website forums, which was why we chose them in the first place.
Good Luck

clopper

Visit site
Thanx all -would hv always gone ba route as find them best for humans but will def check out continental on ur recommendations!