Possible tieing up then lumps and bumps - any ideas?

SueAllen

Visit site
I have a Hafflinger on loan and have been hunting him all this winter. He came off the lorry on Tuesday very stiff through his hindquarters and sore. He went on ok and was heard bashing about in the lorry about 15 minutes before we got home. He was very uncomfortable and couldnt put his head down to the floor. We gave him electrolytes, added water to his feed and gave him bute. He had two days box rest and bute. Then two days restricted turn out and then today no bute and turn out in the bigger field with my other horse. He was observed during the day by someone on the yard looking stiff and lame. When I bought him in this evening he was stiff, subdued and had a fluid filled lump on his chest and more fluid under the skin between his legs. He also has two pus filled lumps (very like bites) on either both shoulders, almost in the same place, just forward of where the saddle flaps would be. I spoke at length to the vet who couldn't work out what the problem might be. He has two more bute tonight, some antibiotic cream to be picked up tomorrow for the pus filled lumps and if he isn't any better he will take some blood. Anyone got any ideas what this might be about??

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
his bloods which should have been taken when he tied up would tell you the extent of the damage and bloods 10 days later will guage the recovery period. personally i would get the vet out for an examination esp as he is on loan and not your own. hope you get to the bottom of it and he recovers quickly. can you hot pack the lumps to draw them? thorns? good luck

Cuppatea

www.facebook.com
if he was heard to be tgrashing around on the lorry, could he not have fallen over or got stuck? Hence the fluid filled lumps/haemotomas and the possible displacement of the pelvis hence the sore/stiff back end. If it is a tie up, as stated above, bloods should be taken and analysed.