Post images of all your Horse‘s Veterinary Conditions

Eaglestone

Visit site
Please use this thread to post images of your Horse‘s Veterinary Conditions.

PapaFrita suggested this would be very helpful and informative for all types of Horse Conditions, to show other HHO Members
cool.gif

******************************************************************************************************

I hope this helps any of you, with horses who have had, or are currently suffering from Laminitis
frown.gif

These pictures were taken on 25th August 2009, a day after being shod.

They show how weak the Laminae looks when it grows down. The Farrier rasps all the 'cruddy' old stuff off so that they are neat and tidy (sorry a bit crudely put, but it is the best I can do!)

Some people have commented that it is Seedy Toe, so I suppose it is a form of it, although there is no infection
confused.gif
, however it is the aftermath of 10 degrees of rotation
frown.gif

For those of you who do not know 'Motor' .... he went down with Cushings Induced Laminitis in October 2005 at the age of 24 .... he is now a happy 28 year old, being ridden regularly and can still be a handful, when the mood takes him
grin.gif
blush.gif

The green on his feet, is him stepping over/missing the ledge on his Field Shelter, I think
confused.gif

Photo0724.jpg

Photo0726.jpg

Photo0727.jpg

Photo0729.jpg

Photo0730.jpg

Photo0731.jpg

Photo0732.jpg

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Vitilago- it is improving with steroid cream
Dexoffside.jpg

Dexmuzzle.jpg

Nod as a very sick yearling- vet diagnosed grass sickness- he was very lucky to survive and took a year to recover all his hair and body weight. He had a very sucessful career as a show cob, ending up at HOYS and is now happily semi retired in the field at the age of 18!

Nod1993---473-2.jpg

Nod1993---473-1.jpg

In case anyone wants to know- here he is at 4 yrs:
Nod19946---475-1-2.jpg

and at 12 yrs:
Nod2005---481-1.jpg

and at 16 yrs:
SarahBrockhurst---479.jpg

tinafletcher1

Visit site
what an excellent idea to post pics. I will try. My horse has had op to remove keratoma a week ago, so still at clinic. going on ok, but not able to get him home until he can tollerate dressing changes without sedation. I have seen pics of this problem that someone posted sometime ago which I found very interesting.

Marnie

Visit site
Bilateral sidebone x ray.... not causing any lameness

[image]
Muppet1.jpg
[/image]

Fractured wing of pedal bone x ray, with sidebone on one side (marked as colateral cartilage....

[image]
Muppet4b.jpg
[/image]

Eaglestone

Visit site
Marnie ... your pictures are so interesting and I cannot believe that you have shown a pic of the Collateral ligament, as I have just spend over an hour on the phone to my freind who's horse has a problem in this area and this will be so helpful
smile.gif

Thank you and keep them coming
smile.gif
cool.gif

Marnie

Visit site
Bone remodelling following a kick to the face - can see the lump just below eye level....

[image]
mikeyc.jpg
[/image]

Marnie

Visit site
Got a few more, hope no one minds!

Sarcoids on sheath - unfortunately had no after Liverpool treatment pics, where you would not believe the monsters had ever been there!

[image]
sarcoids1.jpg
[/image]

[image]
sarcoids2.jpg
[/image] [image]
sarcoids3.jpg
[/image]

Marnie

Visit site
Incisor caps that were stuck - think Mups was around the three years mark here....

[image]
toothcaps.jpg
[/image]

After removal by the vet under sedation, she also had antibiotics as her gums were rather inflammed due to food being trapped under the caps...

[image]
toothcapsremoved.jpg
[/image]

Marnie

Visit site
Abcess on back, we think caused by numnah not being pulled up into the saddle gullet and pulling across the back....

[image]
abcessonback.jpg
[/image]

Getting ready to burst...

[image]
abcessonback1.jpg
[/image]

Cleaned up after expressing lots of pus!

[image]
abcessonback2.jpg
[/image]

After expressing even more pus - you can see almost like a 'lid' of skin from the top of the abcess..

[image]
abcessonback3.jpg
[/image]

With the 'lid' lifted up, showing how deep the abcess was, the 'lid was held on by a thread and eventually withered off. The wound was treated with flamazine (I think) and she had antibotics. Eventually, after about a month it healed totally...

[image]
abcessonback4.jpg
[/image]

Showing how it looked before cleaning - can see the yellowy pus...

[image]
P220309_1656.jpg
[/image]

pegasus1986

Visit site
me and my horse went down a cattle grid out hunting
lapland031205135.jpg

lapland031205134.jpg

4 yrs down the line and if you can see on front leg nearest the camera is a lump on her knee that will neva go but doesnt affect her in anyway
pregnantskippy005.jpg

Marnie

Visit site
Another back one - different horse and a few years before, but similar problem - 25 mile ride with a polypad that slipped down.

First thing that showed was welling behind the withers, if you look carefully you can see a patch of hair that looks slightly different...

[image]
DSCI0006-5.jpg
[/image]

After about a week, it turned into a big pressure sore, the bit of skin in the middle was basically dying due to compromised blood supply and started to slough off, we just had to wait for it to fall off...

[image]
DSCI0004-4.jpg
[/image]

[image]
DSCI0003-3.jpg
[/image]

You can see it starting to come away here...

DSCI0001-2.jpg

It took about 2 months to heal properly, but hasn't caused any problems since...

[image]
29062008668.jpg
[/image]

Marnie

Visit site
That's lovely to see the recovery from grass sickness, we had a couple of acute cases in our yard a number of years ago that didn't make it, so it is nice to see a success story!

Izzwizz

Visit site
This is great stuff! Marnie, what a good idea to take photos like this, bound to be a help to someone, there was a post somewhere on forum about numnahs and someone said that they didnt like polypads due to them slipping. Your photos prove the point very well!

SpruceRI

Visit site
Horse having attempted jumping over wall of field shelter and impaling herself on door pillar.

She tore all layers of skin away from her stomach muscle wall:

The wound a few days after, not too swollen

Undersideofherbelly.jpg

From the side:
Rosieswound24thApril09.jpg

Skinned her thighs, and stifles - seen here drying up:

Rosiesrighthindshowingherskinnedhip.jpg

Sorry! Gross.....pus filled:

DSCF0087.jpg

Weeping

DSCF0073.jpg

Swelling going down

DSCF0070-1.jpg

Skinned areas healing over

DSCF0069.jpg

6 weeks later , the stomach skin has reattached itself to the body and all healed up

Photo0011.jpg

Marnie

Visit site
Ouch! THat looks nasty!

Got a couple more....

Two year old growing quite quickly suddenly started getting swelling on fetlock and hock - excuse the mud, she is a real bog pony and used to spend all her time in the stream running through the field! We kept her in for a couple of weeks, swelling went down and didn't come up again - if it hadn't we were going to go down the x ray route to check her growth plates....

[image]
Mupleg1.jpg
[/image]

[image]
mupleg2.jpg
[/image]

Marnie

Visit site
Leg this time - mare was lame on and off with nothing really to see, when she suddenly got a hard swelling above her hind fetlock. You can vaguely see it through the hairy legs....

[image]
11thjan05014.jpg
[/image]

Vet was convinced it was going to be annualr ligament, she is a big, heavy mare and it is apparently quite common in her type. She went into the vets and it was clipped up....

[image]
11thjan05006.jpg
[/image]

[image]
11thjan05004.jpg
[/image]

[image]
11thjan05005.jpg
[/image]

Scans showed that the annular ligament was actually fine, the lump was made up of dense grannular tissue and there appeared to be a splinter in the middle which was being 'walled off'. One option was surgery but she was not insured and the vet felt that it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack trying to find it, so we gave bute and rest. The lump started to go down and has now disappeared - it did take a good year though - vet thought that whatever was in there had broken down and the body had healed itself.

I thought this might be useful as it does show what an annular ligament injury would look like.

Marnie

Visit site
Last one for now, I promise!

Another back one, tried a new saddle which appeared to fit fine but obviously didn't! Took the saddle off and the swelling in the pictures came up in minutes.

Vet was concerned that she may have damage to the supraspinatus ligament, she had bute and rest and after about three days the swelling went down. Once she had a bit more rest and a new saddle, she was absolutely fine. Again, thought it may be useful to show what such an injury may look like.

[image]
27feb05002a.jpg
[/image]
[image]
27feb05007.jpg
[/image]

black_horse

Visit site
my mare, absess in hoof that travelled up to expell out of coronet band.

Pics show the hole in the hoof, it was under the shoes so shoes came off.

nnqsqv.jpg

orrler.jpg

Animalmad

Visit site

This is a video of my 3 year old Clydesdale Fergus. I have recently bought him but he has had locking stifles since a yearling but this has only been looked at by a vet recently as the previous owners didnt bother to get the vet out grrrr!

Anyway, he isnt a usual case as he swings his legs out when he walks to deal with the locking but you can clearly see the problem.

If you click on the video and forward it to around 2 mins into the clip to see him walking away. That is when it is at its clearest!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Fergus is lovely - and like our new mare, very close behind, hence she is 5 and on a good joint supplement and will be kept well insured.

This is eye cancer - taken from Cairo aged 21. This eye has been operated on numerous times and again had surgery to remove followed by two sessions of radiotherapy.

Cairoseye-March2007.jpg

Cairoseye-March20072.jpg

We had the eye checked by the vet every six months, but this lump appeared two months after being passed as clear.

Cairo developed eye cancer at 7, had one eye removed several years later and approximately every three years, required surgery and treatment on the other one.

dozzie

Visit site
Photosensitisation triggered by liver infection. It appeared very quickly but with two or three courses of anti bs and Vit B supplements to treat the liver it was manageable and cleared up quite quickly. Hibiscrub and sudocrem initially followed by Keratex mudshield powder once scabs had healed.
crispin004.jpg

crispin006.jpg

Weightloss associated with the liver infection. You can see how his spine was protruding where he had lost flesh from his hindquarters. It looked worse in real life! Poor old boy.
crispin011-1.jpg