Post your un usual colored horses.

{138171}

Visit site
This is Buzz coming into his summer coat.

IMG-20190415-155452.jpg

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Does this count?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sorry, I did post this before, but it makes me smile at the perils of owning a grey every time. This video was taken over the period of a month, I think.

Leo Walker

Visit site
My ever changing clydesdale x cob filly, passport has her as a blue roan. She'll be 2 in June.

The passport is wrong! Shes black. That mushroom foal coat is typical of black. The roaning, white legs and face and belly splash etc are caused by sabino or a sabino type gene, they only know a couple so far. She is quite maximally expressed, some arent. Shes what a lot of people call blagdon.

The easiest way to tell a true roan is that they will have dark head and legs, the roaning doesnt extend to those places. Any other sort of roan looking effect is caused by something else.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Pretty sure we'd always established buzz as buckskin roan (brown/bay behind the buckskin tests the same anyway)
Also might be helpful to mention that nd1 (not dun1) adds primitive markings but generally not coat dilution (I think that's still a bit of a work in progress, I think there's a theory that blacks that fade may well be nd1.

Clydiegirl I think for the time being blagdon is a good description, given that we don't yet know what generates that sort of phenotype.

Nasicus

Visit site
Piggybacking on this thread, seeing as we've got the genetic enthusiasts in here, not because I think she's unusual, I just find genetics interesting! :D
What gene (if any) would be responsible for flecking on the coloured patches of a skewbald?
This is the same (nearly) 4yo mare from my previous post that people suspected has nd1 as she gets a dorsal stripe when shedding. She had a little bit of white flecking in her winter coat, but since shedding to her summer coat she's got lots of white in her chestnut splodges! Photos I took at the weekend attached.

Back splodge with aforementioned stripe:
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage.png

ester

Visit site
Piggybacking on this thread, seeing as we've got the genetic enthusiasts in here, not because I think she's unusual, I just find genetics interesting! :D
What gene (if any) would be responsible for flecking on the coloured patches of a skewbald?
This is the same (nearly) 4yo mare from my previous post that people suspected has nd1 as she gets a dorsal stripe when shedding. She had a little bit of white flecking in her winter coat, but since shedding to her summer coat she's got lots of white in her chestnut splodges! Photos I took at the weekend attached.

Back splodge with aforementioned stripe:
View attachment 31527

View attachment 31528
normal for tobiano expression :)

Reactions: JJS

ester

Visit site
Grey to
my boy arrived this colour (1st pic) but after 4 years has whitened considerably (2nd pic) . i was told he was blue and white as his skin is definitely more black than pink
passport just says grey :)
Grey tobiano is his best description 'blue and white' can mean a few different things, often used for grey over here, but obviously the same could be said about blue roan tobiano.

Mule

Visit site
One of mine is chestnut (not unusual) but he also has a dorsal stripe, bend- or spots and two light blond patches on his sides that are getting bigger.

The beast also has unusual markings courtesy of the horse above biting him when he joined the herd :oops: His coat has turned fleabitten grey but he has dark grey markings around the bitten areas. It looks cool, but he suffered for his beauty! I must upload photos of them.

ester

Visit site
Thanks Ester! Can I expect her to get more flecked as she grows? Or is it likely to fluctuate over her life?

I *think* it just tends to vary. Not seen that queried previously.
This is an old post and mentions 'sabino' but also has some good pics of very roany patches that tobiano can often generate
http://equinetapestry.com/tag/roan-patches-on-tobianos/

I think sometimes dorsals can also appear more pronounced when there is some 'roaning' as the dorsal is often left unaffected.

{138171}

Visit site
Pretty sure we'd always established buzz as buckskin roan (brown/bay behind the buckskin tests the same anyway)
Also might be helpful to mention that nd1 (not dun1) adds primitive markings but generally not coat dilution (I think that's still a bit of a work in progress, I think there's a theory that blacks that fade may well be nd1.

Clydiegirl I think for the time being blagdon is a good description, given that we don't yet know what generates that sort of phenotype.
That's the one 👍

Dusty M Yeti

Visit site
My pics are HUGE for some reason :oops:

Cynthia was a spotty foal that greyed out, second photo is her clipped out last summer and you can faintly see some spots still on her shoulder, obviously they are still on her skin underneath, and she has the usual spottly muzzle and stripey feet.

Arnold (3rd and 4th pics) is a lovely mouse dun in his summer coat and very sandy dun in his winter woolies. His tiger stripe legs are the clearest I have ever seen on a dun
cynthaifoal.jpgcynthia.jpg
arnoldandcynthia.jpgarnoldwinter.jpg