Posting pictures of horse that is no longer yours?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yeah if it’s random I would say it odd and she is probably just regretting selling the horse which could be a problem because she could ask to buy the horse back. Why would you bother posting photos now when you didn’t at the time.

I recently posted a photo of a previous horse, as my cover photo. I have also posted the same horse on here, a couple of times. It is nostalgia. It doesn't mean I want the horse back. I couldn't anyway, as it happens, the horse is not on this earth any more.

One horse I had was from a pro. He featured on the pro's web page. This is fine, he was a fine looking horse LOL.

Even if someone asked to buy back a horse I had, it wouldn't bother me unduly. I would just say no. Once, a buyer of one of mine didn't seem happy with him, I offered to buy him back like a flash. It wasn't a creepy thing, she said no, I moved on. Kept in touch for longer than the horse was alive (lived to a ripe old age too, and fulfilled more than her wildest dreams - they just had a slow start until they formed a partnership).

OP, I do think it is a more about your confidence thing. He is your horse now, go ride him like you stole him and make memories of your own. If that isn't an option, I would set your FB settings so you don't see posts from the previous owner.

I'm sure other people locally either don't know or care whose the horse is, or do know, in which case they will know it is an old photo.

AED20011

New User
Visit site
Yeah if it’s random I would say it odd and she is probably just regretting selling the horse which could be a problem because she could ask to buy the horse back. Why would you bother posting photos now when you didn’t at the time.

I have no issue with the Facebook ‘memories’ but some of the picture where never on the posted while she owned her.

AED20011

New User
Visit site
I recently posted a photo of a previous horse, as my cover photo. I have also posted the same horse on here, a couple of times. It is nostalgia. It doesn't mean I want the horse back. I couldn't anyway, as it happens, the horse is not on this earth any more.

One horse I had was from a pro. He featured on the pro's web page. This is fine, he was a fine looking horse LOL.

Even if someone asked to buy back a horse I had, it wouldn't bother me unduly. I would just say no. Once, a buyer of one of mine didn't seem happy with him, I offered to buy him back like a flash. It wasn't a creepy thing, she said no, I moved on. Kept in touch for longer than the horse was alive (lived to a ripe old age too, and fulfilled more than her wildest dreams - they just had a slow start until they formed a partnership).

OP, I do think it is a more about your confidence thing. He is your horse now, go ride him like you stole him and make memories of your own. If that isn't an option, I would set your FB settings so you don't see posts from the previous owner.

I'm sure other people locally either don't know or care whose the horse is, or do know, in which case they will know it is an old photo.

She’s my first proper horse that I’ve owned so I do feel quite protective of her. Old owner is well known and respected locally and I have felt as though it’s been hard to live up to them. But I’ll get over it :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
She’s my first proper horse that I’ve owned so I do feel quite protective of her. Old owner is well known and respected locally and I have felt as though it’s been hard to live up to them. But I’ll get over it :)

I wouldn't even try to live up to them. You have your own relationship with the horse. Imagine if I had tried to live up to the pro, I would have been tying myself in knots. I just worshipped the horse and he featured heavily in my FB, as I documented our adventures. Took a long time before we did as much, or jumped as high, as the previous owner did. I was too busy enjoying my wonderful horse to care what other people thought. I was just happy that the horse appeared to be happy. Everyone commented on how big my smile was.

Hepsibah

Visit site
I gifted one of my horses to a nice young lady local to me when the landowner I rented from wanted his land back a few years back. She had her for the last five years of her life and completely adored her. I have pictures and memories on social media but didn't and don't share them out of respect for the girl's feelings.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I wouldn't like a previous owner posting photos of my animals. I can't understand why anyone would. I once had a girl come to see my cob about riding him for me, she took loads of photos and that same evening posted them on her facebook page saying she had found a new horse to ride. I immediately asked her to take them down and she never came back to ride the horse. I think if they want to post photos they should ask permission first.

Gallop_Away

Visit site
I'm just curious, a local armature photographer regularly walks the footpaths close to my horse's summer paddocks, and takes some beautiful images of them. He posts them on his Facebook page quite regularly. I've actually had some images he's taken of them put on a canvas.
Would people also take issue with this? It has honestly never occurred to me that he should be asking my permission before posting the images?

Chianti

Visit site
To keep it simple, old owners still frequently post pictures of my horse online and have recently changed their profile picture to one of them and my horse.

I bought the horse from a local person (who is fairly well known locally) and have struggled with feeling compared to them which might be why I feel so uncomfortable with them posting pictures, especially after two years. The profile picture just seems to have pushed it a bit too far for me.

I know that I’m probably being unreasonable and I’m not going to do anything about it but I’m just wondering if anyone else thinks it’s inappropriate to post pictures online of a horse you no longer own?

Every time she posts a picture I would reply with photos of the horse now with you and comment on how lucky you were to be able to buy her from the previous owner, what a great job she did with her, etc. Hopefully she'll get the message.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I dont think I'd be too bothered. I think this is more about you feeling some kind of pressure on yourself..?? Try to turn the thoughts around to " oh how lovely, my horse was so good/lovely/well trained etc that he/she clearly meant a lot to the previous owner...how lucky am I that I was trusted to buy this horse and have him/her in my care"...the owners clearly thought alot of the Horse, they've been helpful and they let YOU be the new care giver...try to let that be your mantra:)

[153312]

Visit site
I have no issue with the Facebook ‘memories’ but some of the picture where never on the posted while she owned her.
Sorry but I think you're being way too sensitive and reading far too much into something which is in reality completely innocuous. She's really doing nothing wrong. If she approaches you asking to buy the horse back you can just say no. Or do yourself a favour and block her now.

ETA: @SatansLittleHelper 's advice is SPOT ON!

stangs

Visit site
Would people also take issue with this? It has honestly never occurred to me that he should be asking my permission before posting the images?
It would ick me out but I wouldn’t stop him from doing so.

I know someone who was bullied at his old yard, so, after he moved yards, he made sure no one posted pictures of his (very distinguishably coloured) horse for fear of the bullies finding out where he was keeping her.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I'm just curious, a local armature photographer regularly walks the footpaths close to my horse's summer paddocks, and takes some beautiful images of them. He posts them on his Facebook page quite regularly. I've actually had some images he's taken of them put on a canvas.

I think unridden photos are not an issue, and clearly you know he does it.

If they were ridden photos, especially if you might one day sell, then people may want more control over what's on social media- some people don't always think about what's flattering to the horse etc.

I've always tried to be reasonably careful when sharing photos/videos of other people's horses, i.e. nothing that would be really unflattering to the horse later on?

Lady Jane

Visit site
I loaned a horse for 9 months and then finally managed to buy him. The previous owner (now 17) stills posts pictures of him and he is he profile on Instagram. He was the centre of her world and I love the fact that while she has her new horse he was clearly her first love. Sounds a bit dramatic maybe? I am still in regular contact with her horsey mum and we will have a catch up over Easter - with the horses. My handsome little horse...Lenny May 21-1-min-min.jpgLenny May 21-1-min-min.jpg

Equi

Visit site
When someone who used to share my horse posted them as their profile (without a big THIS IS NOT MY HORSE) i did feel a little perturbed, but only because they seemingly took the credit for how they were looking/going when it was not their work. At the same time i was also posting pics of my loan stallion his owner had professionally taken..i had asked her if this was okay purely because we were promoting him and she said yes of course..but i never felt fully okay with it. think a lot of it is a competitive "have i made them better or worse looking" because we all want to say "i have done better than the last one"

ETA: after my horse died, the share (who had not shared for years) posted a fair few photos of him like "oh my poor boy will miss him so much" etc and i actually got very very angry at it all and had to unfollow them for a while. My grief was profound, their grief was attention seeking.

lynz88

Visit site
Not inappropriate at all - after all, the horse was once theirs. Perhaps they had a special connection with your (now) horse. I sometimes change my fb photo to a picture of my friends horse with me (who has now passed away) - its a lovely photo of us and he was a lovely horse as well.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I wouldn't like a previous owner posting photos of my animals. I can't understand why anyone would. I once had a girl come to see my cob about riding him for me, she took loads of photos and that same evening posted them on her facebook page saying she had found a new horse to ride. I immediately asked her to take them down and she never came back to ride the horse. I think if they want to post photos they should ask permission first.
I feel quite sorry for the girl who sounds like she just wanted to share her excitement with her friends. You probably upset her enough to not want to come back.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’d find an old owner using my horse as a profile picture a bit odd.It’s a very personal thing to use.

The partner of someone at my yard once took photos of the horses and uploaded them to a social media site. We all objected, I think we felt like he was signposting where to come to steal nice horses! The winner of the cob entries at the nearby big show centre had recent been nicked then found at a well-known local site.

We had a bloke taking pictures at my mare’s yard, skulking around the fields. I wanted to speak to him about what he was doing one day and he ran off. I found that a bit suspicious!

To carry this argument to its logical conclusion- if you have any family photos of your children in a house you have sold, you must burn them all*.

:D

(*The photos, not the children).

I’m glad you clarified! ?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I have quite a distinctive horse and I’m more than happy for everyone who works with her or is involved in her life to share photos of her. The pro rider who schools her posts pictures of her progress. Her breeder posts photos from her adorable foal days. Our groom posts photos of her. Our equine podiatrist posts about her feet. Her previous owner posts photos of her. It’s lovely that everyone who has interacted with her loves her so much, and that she’s made such an impression the people who work with her. Everyone has contributed to getting her to being the fabulous little horse she is so just because she belongs to me, doesn’t mean that I have a sole claim over how she’s turned out.

Snowfilly

Visit site
I cannot see a single problem with posting pictures of horses that were once yours. They don’t leave your heart just because you sold them; the memories and good times don’t go away. I’d just be glad that my horse was loved and valued before I got him.

A friend currently has the stereotypical PC first pony - in his mid 20s, been through the branch a dozen times with different families. He and his kid riders pop up in different memories for different people all the time, and it’s a lovely living tribute to a pony who’s touched a lot of lives. How sad to ignore everything he’s meant to so many people.

Peglo

Visit site
I have no issues with photographers, friends or if any professionals wanted to share a photo of my horse as they wouldn’t be insinuating my horse is theirs. I would see that as a compliment. But I wouldn’t like anyone posting pictures of my horse without being tagged or it made clear it wasn’t/ is no longer theirs. I’d find it a bit odd they would want to. (Other than sharing a memory as I said before.)