Posting pictures of horse that is no longer yours?

Regandal

Visit site
Why? Why should anyone be bothered? They owned the horse at the time the photo was taken so what does that have to do with any subsequent owners?

I think it’s discourteous, especially as the new owner is in the same area as previous owner. Fair enough if the horse moved away. Hey ho, we’re all different.

stormox

Visit site
I think it’s discourteous, especially as the new owner is in the same area as previous owner. Fair enough if the horse moved away. Hey ho, we’re all different.

It doesnt mean theyr saying they still own the horse. Or that they have any right to it. Only that they and the horse were together at one time and they were proud of that horse.
I really dont understand the attitide of some people. Memories are precious, and what's wrong with showing your favourite ones?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think it's that the horse was sold two years ago and the old owner is 'frequently" posting pictures on Facebook of it two years later and has "recently" changed their profile picture to a picture of the horse.

I find that bit odd, and if someone's self esteem is not top notch, I can see how that would be unsettling.

nagblagger

Visit site
it's an issue because the ex-owner has used the photo as their profile picture, i would be a bit miffed if i had a picture of my moody mare as my profile, then the old owner did the same.
I wouldn't mind if they were published on their facebook etc pages, but changing their profile picture - 'why?'

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Nope that still wouldn't be an issue for me, why wouldnt' you change your profile picture to a horse you'd owned and cared for, it's not supposed to be representative of 'right now'?

stormox

Visit site
You are all assuming the picture is posted because of the horse. But I assume the rider or owner is in it too snd maybe the reason its been used as their profile icture is because its a good picture of them, they feel they are in a good position, its the best jumping photo they have.....the horse may be incidental.
I have a picture of me on a horse I used to own as my FB profile because I haven't thought any recent picures as good.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I would think it quite nice the horse meant so much to the ex-owner to want it on SM, personally. But it obviously bothers you.

To prevent further upset to yourself, perhaps try to pinpoint why it bothers you & try to address the reason why. If you can't change the problem, change how you look at it and all that ...

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
those who feel sensitive about this, at what point does it become OK? I was just thinking i have some nice pics and happy memories of my first pony. she was sold on 30 years ago and will be long dead by now. she was the start of my love of feisty mares and meant a lot to me, but had at least one owner after me, not sure if they kept her or not.

also, my FB is filling up with pics of a loan horse, i don't have the horse's owner on FB atm but where is the line there? o_O

staffylover

Visit site
I agree with OP, I wouldn't be happy with it. It's discourteous not to ask the current owner's permission to post photos of their horse even though the previous owner has a legal right to do so.

twobearsarthur

Visit site
I’m not really a social media person. I have a work fb account that I rarely use. But I don’t see any issue for an old owner posting photos either as memories or as a profile pic. It’s a modern way of showing your friends a photo album in my mind. But I also didn’t mind that my husbands first wife used to post photos of their wedding/life together as they were once important to each other and had a life together so maybe I’m just pretty laid back about that sort of thing.

ponynutz

Visit site
I think the profile picture is a bit odd and not something I'd do but I can see why people would and it's their right to do so ... so have to let it be I guess. (Unless she's blatantly lying - as others have said). Sorry it's caused you trouble, not nice when you're uncomfy with something but there's nothing you can do :(.

ponynutz

Visit site
those who feel sensitive about this, at what point does it become OK? I was just thinking i have some nice pics and happy memories of my first pony. she was sold on 30 years ago and will be long dead by now. she was the start of my love of feisty mares and meant a lot to me, but had at least one owner after me, not sure if they kept her or not.

also, my FB is filling up with pics of a loan horse, i don't have the horse's owner on FB atm but where is the line there? o_O

I think it's the profile picture personally and the 'recently' when the sale was a while ago and there's been radio silence inbetween (or that's how it comes across in original post) as ycbm has said.

I wouldn't mind the odd post about missing them etc with a tag attached sort of explaining why you're posting an old photo maybe - lots of people do this on Instagram for example especially if it's an account dedicated to their horses but it'd be odd if they changed their profile picture to that horse.

But also people use social media differently, whether thats a generation thing or an individual thing and so that's also why it's one of those that might make some people uncomfy but has to be put up with to a certain extent.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I’ve thought about this a bit more. Dolly was Katie’s last pony. She misses her more then she ever imagined. She produced her from a 4 year old and it was a wonderful journey together. She still posts pics. Her profile pic has always been Dolly but she changes it every so often to a different Dolly pic. Maybe the new owners think ‘enough she’s MINE NOW’ but I would be surprised at that attitude tbh. I think Katie has a right to continue to remember and celebrate the time they had together. And rather than feel insecure about what they achieved together the new owners could be very happy that they’ve got such a fab pony who was so well loved, as said upthread. She never suggests she’s hers though. And the new owners are in almost weekly contact with progress updates. (We never ask for updates - they just have chosen to keep in touch which we are happy about). And it’s only been a few months.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I’m really trying to understand the discomfort but all I’m putting together is…

Some people appear not to like that a social media audience might think that the horse belongs to the poster/ former owner.

So is it that the social media audience might… ‘credit’… the poster for owning a horse? And that credit should belong to the owner alone?

I can understand that if someone is a professional and the horse represents their ‘work’, and someone else is passing off the owners ‘work’ as their own.

But if the owner is not defending their livelihood then is it just being unhappy that someone else is getting attention or ‘likes’ relating to the horse? And the owner thinks that no one other than them should be getting that attention?

JoannaC

Visit site
Gosh I often share old pictures of me on horses that I had on loan or sold long long ago (they would all be dead now). I also share pictures of friends horses that I've taken over the years. Really don't understand the problem if the pictures were taken at the time of ownership. I love seeing pictures of my horses on previous owners pages. Just unfollow them if it's a problem.

Regandal

Visit site
Gosh, what a nice, kind bunch we are. The OP has stated that yes, he/she is probably being unreasonable, and yes, previous owner is entitled to post any pictures she likes. They admit that it is likely due to low esteem issues.
They are hurt, but obviously there is something psychologically wrong with them ?
OP, just unfollow the seller, and get on with enjoying your lovely horse.

Peglo

Visit site
I’m really trying to understand the discomfort but all I’m putting together is…

Some people appear not to like that a social media audience might think that the horse belongs to the poster/ former owner.

So is it that the social media audience might… ‘credit’… the poster for owning a horse? And that credit should belong to the owner alone?

I can understand that if someone is a professional and the horse represents their ‘work’, and someone else is passing off the owners ‘work’ as their own.

But if the owner is not defending their livelihood then is it just being unhappy that someone else is getting attention or ‘likes’ relating to the horse? And the owner thinks that no one other than them should be getting that attention?

I didn’t see anyone saying it was anything to do with “likes” and had more to do with “feelings”.

when it comes to social media many people feel uncomfortable with things others post. I don’t think anything of a girl in a bikini but my sister who has confidence and food issues admits it makes her uncomfortable to see these pictures. I would never tell her ‘oh it’s only because you want likes for your bikini pictures,’ because I don’t feel the same way she does about it. I listen to her and I’ll tell her it’s best she unfollows things that makes her unhappy. (Which she needs reminding of from time to time.)

so OP I agree that you could just hide her posts. It’s making you feel uneasy so best not to see it.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I didn’t see anyone saying it was anything to do with “likes” and had more to do with “feelings”.

Which is why I asked the question. I don’t understand the reason behind the discomfort and quite a few people have suggested they’d feel the same but no one has explained what it is that is causing the discomfort. It’s difficult to avoid treading on toes if you don’t know where the toes are, if you know what I mean.

Peglo

Visit site
Which is why I asked the question. I don’t understand the reason behind the discomfort and quite a few people have suggested they’d feel the same but no one has explained what it is that is causing the discomfort. It’s difficult to avoid treading on toes if you don’t know where the toes are, if you know what I mean.

ah yeah I see what you mean. But I also don’t think you can be responsible for how other people feel. So I understand why OP feels the way they do but I also don’t think the ex horse owner is responsible for OP’s feelings so it’s up to OP to take the action to make themselves feel better.

so for example if I wanted to post a picture of my cat, I shouldn’t not post it incase someone see’s it and gets upset because their cat died. Same applies for the ex horse owner, they did nothing wrong but OP felt uncomfortable. OP knows this, hence coming here to get it off their chest rather than say anything to the person.

I’m not sure if that makes sense outside my small brain. I’m far from eloquent, me ?