PRE horses for dressage

Andalusianlover1

Visit site
Welcome to the Forum PRE.

I have a stunning PRE. His name is Jalisco and he was bred by Manuel Zaforteza Delagado, he carries the 'Z' brand. he is very traditional in as far as he's 15.2 and a short stocky chap (bay). He was imported from Spain as a very green 4 yr old stallion. I bought him, kept him as a stallion for a year but wanted him to have a 'normal' life where he could 'play out' with other horses and not be isolated all his life. so he was gelded. Pity as his conformation, movement and temperament are very good. It hasnt changed his presence at all but I have since found out he is very well bred with the likes of Lebrijano, Maluso, Macanuo in his lines.

I'm trying stressage this year but I am hampering our rise up the classes as I tense up and ruin our test every time. It is a work in progress. My trainer says he would easily do Grand Prix. Unfortunately I prefer and I think he does too, jumping. We will event this year as he jumps like a stag.

My trainer has told be that as brilliant as my horse is, he wont do very well at the lower levels of dressage but will excel further up the ranks.

For a couple of years he lived out all year round but now he's more pampered and comes in at night. He adapts very well to whatever surroundings he finds himself in.

He's a horse of a lifetime!

PRE

Visit site
Hello thespanishmane and Andalusianlover1 !

"La Doma vaquera" comes from south Spain, the basic origins comes from the time when Spain was arabic territory and because of the militar use of horses, they needed to control horses with their legs and keep their hands free to use bows or spears... Once Christians re-conquer Spain, they started to add some dressage aspects to create a proper riding style. In Spain, horses and countryside have been always related...that's why nowadays is called Vaquera...comes from "Vacuno" (cows and bulls)... Bulls breeders have always used horses to handle the cattle...The main reason to handle the horse with your left hand and your legs is to leave free your right hand to handle the "Garrocha"...

In Andalusia there is a lot of people living in very rural areas, without really high education standards who work on the land and usually breed horses too (as everything is related...) Obviously not all of them are the same, but sadly I have seen too often people,who call themselves "trainers" and confuse getting submission through fear with obedience through proper training and understanding...

Andalusianlover1, for the info you have given, it looks like our boys could be related...Preferido also has lebrijano and maluso lines. He is by calificado stallion Senado and is also a compact 15,2 bay :) Would love to see him, and yours too thespanishmane :)

j1ffy

Visit site
Your filly looks very nice and you must be excited at the prospect of breeding from her, would you keep her in Spain to do that?

Sorry, I just realised that I didn't reply! Yes, we'll keep her in Spain as I live in Hong Kong currently so it makes little difference where the horses are ;) I'd like to find a PRE stallion with decent bone as she doesn't have a lot (like many of Nono's and Nono himself). An El Ancla stallion would be ideal, although they're all greys so I'd have to give up on the idea of a black foal, but they don't take outside mares unfortunately!

j1ffy

Visit site
PRE, I just realised I have some pics on here of me on the wonderful Nono III, nearly 2 years ago now:

picture.php

I have no idea what was happening in this picture - I suspect some of Antonio's dogs were fighting outside or something!!

picture.php

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Hi PRE welcome

Love your boys! Are you planning on standing them at stud over here?

Have you been in contact with BAPSH here in the UK, they would love to have you as a member!

There are several stallions here now but there are more and more geldings too, stallions are not so readily accepted on livery yards and not as many people have the experience of stallions that you do in Spain.

I have 5 PREs and a foal due in April, I have had them for about 20 years now and remember when there were only about 300 in this country, there are now several more.

I have ALL mares and ride two of them, breed the odd foal now and then and
would not have anything else.

I do compete two of my mares, one is at medium and is smaller more baroque but straight moving, the other is younger and bigger and more of the modern type, she is still at novice but shows huge potential for dressage - there used to be a lot more prejudice in the dressage
world but nowadays people are getting more and more used to seeing the
PRE in competition.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I competed a PRE stallion in dressage last year (pics in my profile)
He was fab - But people were petrified of him! And a lot of people actually asked of we would be asked to leave. But je was cracking.

PRE

Visit site
Hello SirenaXVI, NuBeginningsFrance and Jenni_,

Nubeginnigs, your boy is beautiful...I bet for him was such a shock to arrive with 3" snow...Hope he didnt decide to have a roll....otherwise you wouldn't find him! :) How are you getting on with him?

Sirena, really good to hear of such a PRE enthusiast in this country! They must keep you busy... :)

Maybe you could help me... I've been trying to find out dates for grading for this year, so I can get Preferido APTO, but I've had no luck in finding out, do you know when this is? Sarmiento is getting graded in Spain, so is easy!

Jenni, Really? why were they scared of him? Just because he was a stallion? Hope we don't have the same problem... Shouldn't think so...as he is a good boy, just very vocal! :)

Amaranta

Visit site
Lovely boys PRE, the grading in the UK is usually around May/June time, you need to get in touch with Mary McBryde who is the registrar with BAPSH (British Association for the Purebred Spanish Horse) details are on www.BAPSH.co.uk they also hold a championship show in July and the GBPRE show which is a qualifier for SICAB.

The PRE over here is gaining a lot of popularity in competition so you will most def not be out of place in the dressage arena!

Jenni - really they were scared of him? :D I thought they were made of sterner stuff in Scotland lol - you need to move to England, people are not scared of stallys here!

Paladine

Visit site
Beautiful horses! Here in the US we don't see all that many in the ring, a few a every show, but more and more quality is trickling in. They used to be little and short strided and tense appearing, so didn't score well- but I've seen some lovely ones for sale. I love the idea of the quickness, lightness and their intelligence, much like my trainer's lippazan mare. Unfortunately I am a leggy 6 foot and look a bit silly on anything under 16.3. I do know a little bit about them, doma vaquera and Spain, as I dated a spanish rider. I agree, a man's sport over there as opposed to here.

Amaranta

Visit site
Nice to hear from across the pond :D

They do come larger these days, there is a mare over here in the UK, currently in training with Andrew Gould, she is 17h+ so you could find one yet :D

PRE

Visit site
Hello Amaranta and Paladine!

Yes, I joined already the group on Facebook :)

Paladine, today evening my uncle showed me some pictures of a stallion he started working with, he is not yet 3 yo...and already well over 16 hands...and it looks amazing! With Yeguada Militar bloodlines with Lego, Evento...

Thank you Amaranta, will get in touch with her :)

Nubeggining, your boy looks really kind and your stables really nice...I bet he is in paradise! :)

Moon Shadow

New User
Visit site
I don't know if anyone on this thread is still active but I am now the proud owner of Sarmiento! I would love to hear about his life in Spain.

j1ffy

Visit site
I don't know if anyone on this thread is still active but I am now the proud owner of Sarmiento! I would love to hear about his life in Spain.

Lucky you - he looks gorgeous! Is he still a stallion? What has he done since the original thread and what do you plan to do with him? I don't think his old owner is on here anyway, he was on the BAPSH (now GB PRE) Facebook page though so maybe post on there and see if you can get any info.

As per my earlier post, I knew his sire (Nono III) and I also had a mare by Nono. I don't know where Sarmiento was based, but there is a stud near Vejer de la Frontera called Yeguada Sarmiento so I would guess it was there...

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think its just the British judges tend to like (IMO boring!) straight, flat paces of a warmblood as opposed to the higher action of an Iberian. I've got a Luso x who has the higher knee action, I occassionally got comments about him being "choppy" but I think they're just not used to seeing non-floaty type paces even if they're still perfectly correct. You just dont see that many of them in the UK to make them the norm (especially this far North!). I love them, would love to have a pure bred - brilliant jumpers, not just dressage ;)

We dont keep stallions here generally unless we want to breed from them. Bit pointless keeping them entire if you're not going to and I dont think most livery yards here are set up for many stallions.