Pregnancy and horses

Breagha

Visit site
How did you all cope?

I will be 16 weeks tomorrow and have been on my are just a handful of times for a wee potter but my engery levels are non exsistent. Working full time, taking the dog out and then doing the horses, i am absolutely shattered. Thankfully, one of the horses is my husbands and he has been brill but I just miss pottering at the yard as well.

Flyermc

Visit site
to be honest i just got one with it, with both my pregnancy. i was fine with both (apart from the end) and carried on as normal. Having said that, i didnt have much choice, both times my horse was on DIY livery, so had to be done before/after work.

i stopped riding around 26 and 28 weeks, mainly because i was too big (heavy)

hope all goes well for you! my little girl is now 3 and my lad is 6 months! (were does time go?)

Breagha

Visit site
Mine are DIY also and I do tend to get on with it but I was ill up until a week or so ago and that has subsided. I think the heat in my work doesn't help with the tiredness. Naww time does fly.

Thank you. X

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I struggled more towards the end. I don't think I was riding much in the beginning anyway (it was a long time ago!) horse had been injured so in minimal work.
Towards the end I fainted at the drop of a hat! As a result I mucked out, slowly! And that was about it. Horse didn't care and was absolutely fine.
Do what you can, don't beat yourself up about anything. Horses only care about basic needs being met.

Breagha

Visit site
My husband is being awesome and doing as much as he can and will try keep both horses ticking over. If I'm really tired he feeds and sees to them.

My energy levels are better than what they were but still have to take it easy. Things take a little longer to get done. Can't wait for the lighter nights so I have no time limit lol.

X

Clodagh

Visit site
I felt less awful after 20 weeks, and with lighter days as well you may find you feel happier just being out and pottering around. It is good to stay active, buit don't overdo it!

Breagha

Visit site
I am hoping things get a little better the further on I get and the lighter it gets. My body doesnt let me overdo it.

Thanks

pennyturner

Visit site
I'm another who just got on with it. I rode until the baby came through 6 pregnancies. Found I was more uncomfortable in one of them than the others, but an elastic back/tummy support was very helpful.
Developed a couple of 'novel' styles of dismount to avoid the bump, and decided that western saddles are best avoided :/

I think so long as you're just keeping doing what you're used to, you're fine. Not the best time to be asking your body to build new muscles!
Also, you need to be very careful lifting, especially out of car boots - avoid reaching forward for saddles etc.

Breagha

Visit site
I'm another who just got on with it. I rode until the baby came through 6 pregnancies. Found I was more uncomfortable in one of them than the others, but an elastic back/tummy support was very helpful.
Developed a couple of 'novel' styles of dismount to avoid the bump, and decided that western saddles are best avoided :/

I think so long as you're just keeping doing what you're used to, you're fine. Not the best time to be asking your body to build new muscles!
Also, you need to be very careful lifting, especially out of car boots - avoid reaching forward for saddles etc.

Thanks for the reply.
I am only doing what I am used too. Husband deals with carrying the feed etc. My saddle is on a low saddle rack to make it easier to lift.
Elastic tummy and back support sounds like a good idea. I have a curved spine so find when I am riding that I could do with something like that. Where did you get the support?

Thanks

Farma

Visit site
Go with how you feel, I know people that hardly notice they're pregnant and others suffer badly, I had hyperemesis and was in and out of hospital for the first few months and had no energy, the few times I felt ok to ride I struggled getting off as any pressure on my bump made me violently sick. I would love to have been able to have carried on as usual and tried my hardest but physically couldn't.
Take care of yourself and your baby and just do what you can, it feels like a long wait but just go and do what you can when you can, good luck x

Breagha

Visit site
Go with how you feel, I know people that hardly notice they're pregnant and others suffer badly, I had hyperemesis and was in and out of hospital for the first few months and had no energy, the few times I felt ok to ride I struggled getting off as any pressure on my bump made me violently sick. I would love to have been able to have carried on as usual and tried my hardest but physically couldn't.
Take care of yourself and your baby and just do what you can, it feels like a long wait but just go and do what you can when you can, good luck x

Thanks - yeah there is a few people I know that you wouldnt think were pregnant as they have no symptoms, tiredness or sickness lol. I have them all apart from the physically being sick. I am doing what I can and days that I cant, they horses get fed and checked (they live out thankfully). Both really good dooers so ad lib hay and one feed a day keeps them going.

Thank you :D

charlie76

Visit site
The day i went into labour i worked the morning, took 17 barrows out of a deep litter ned, graded the arena and went for a hack!

Oh and i had morning sickness for 35 weeks!

Breagha

Visit site
The day i went into labour i worked the morning, took 17 barrows out of a deep litter ned, graded the arena and went for a hack!

Oh and i had morning sickness for 35 weeks!

Wow! The morning sickness is the worst. I haven't been physically sick but like a permanent hangover. I finished work a little earlier yesterday and I felt loads better, so maybe getting to work and finishing early is the answer. X

xDundryx

Visit site
Another one who says go with how you feel. I had really bad sickness (HG) from 4 months until mini person was born. I kept riding until 7 months and then turned my lad away so fed/checked him every evening gave him a good groom every few days for the last few months. My OH took over poo picking when I was around 5 months and did all the heavy work. To be honest OH was a Godsend some days I was a wreck but he would plonk me in the car and take me to the yard, having horse hugs helped a lot with the bad days :)

Breagha

Visit site
Another one who says go with how you feel. I had really bad sickness (HG) from 4 months until mini person was born. I kept riding until 7 months and then turned my lad away so fed/checked him every evening gave him a good groom every few days for the last few months. My OH took over poo picking when I was around 5 months and did all the heavy work. To be honest OH was a Godsend some days I was a wreck but he would plonk me in the car and take me to the yard, having horse hugs helped a lot with the bad days :)

It is all about how you feel. I am still riding a little but getting people in to help keep her ticking over, my OH will compete her a little so I can still get my fix before baby is due. Yes, horse cuddles do help. I had a wee meltdown in the field and burried my head into OH horses neck lol.

We havent started poo picking but once we harrow one side and let it rest, it will start again but will just have to see how it goes and hopefully I can get OH to do it or pay the kids at the yard to do a couple barrows.

x

beechtree

Visit site
my advice is just take it as easy as you feel, day to day.... some days you'll have tons of energy, some you'll be half dead!

I get a tiny bit irritated with the boastful mums who "run ten miles a day/ride fifty horses" etc etc - I mean, good for you, but definitely not good for everyone. You HAVE to listen to your body and your baby, and only do as much as feels good - you can genuinely do yourself serious long term damage otherwise.

I am currently seeing a postnatal physio for damage caused during labour and probably worsened by my hurry to get riding and mucking out again after the baby was born. So please learn from my mistake and don't push your luck :)