Pregnancy has sent me round the bend!

kimberleigh

Visit site
I don't think I've ever been overly sane...but this just takes the biscuit!

Whilst "browsing" ads for a dinky shetland/mini type for my pony mad 18month old toddler, I happened upon an advert for a much larger equine. I don't know what drew me to actually make that fateful click onto her photo - her kind eye, the lack of white feet (my pet hate!) or just that it said the dreaded words 'Thoroughbred'...But, alas, I clicked!

I should add in here that not only do I have an active and adventurous toddler, but as the title hints I am also expecting another one - being 16 weeks pregnant. Maybe I can blame the hormones?!

She is a baby, a giant 4 year old at 16.3hh and has grown over a full hand in the past year. Undoubtedly bred to race. She has been in training twice and twice its been said that she is too big and immature to bother continuing with training; send her back when shes grown up a bit...but owner didn't want the hassle or expense of that - despite her phenomenal breeding (see, there are plus points here somewhere!).

So she has been being let down at a livery yard where I'm reliably informed she is a sweetheart, although has a little lip quiver when she gets nervous about something (telling myself that's endearing!). She is quick to learn and has taken everything in her stride thus far. She won't be a "novice ride" and the lady doesn't want her being sold as a baby making machine or ridden into the ground just to be sold on for a profit.

All sounded very nice and lovely, so I bought her. Yep, just like that, unseen and over the phone without so much as a sniff of a vetting.

What the hell is wrong with me?!

Please tell me this isn't a sectionable offence because I do realllly want to meet her now, as she is sooooo pretty!

I've been telling myself it will be fine as baby is due in January, and she can be my "get fit and lose weight, oh and dig out a few hundred pairs of brave pants whilst I'm at it" incentive...
Until then she can have some more down time, do a bit of in hand stuff, groundwork, maybe even a few trips to local shows to chill out in the crowds...

It will be ok, won't it? 😂😂😂

catembi

Visit site
It will all be fine! She sounds like a sweetheart. Sometimes heart has to overrule head. Let's face it, there is never a 'perfect' time to incur the expense & hassle of another pet, whether horse, dog, whatever. If we thought it through with our sensible heads on, no-one would ever do anything. So sometimes one has to think, **** it, life is short, buy the horse...!

Says someone who is trying to resist the siren call of buying a horse unseen from an Irish website... Must NOT pop horse in 'basket'...must NOT pop horse in 'basket'...must NOT... :)

ponyparty

Visit site
Wait... Is pregnancy an acceptable excuse for buying another horse on a whim? I've been doing it all wrong, in that case! Off to trawl the classifieds, OH could have a lovely surprise waiting when he gets back from holiday on Sunday ;)

Seriously though, is it too early to start looking at ponies for unborn child?

Hack4fun

Visit site
I'm not pregnant and have bought a 3rd horse recently! Enjoy lots of groundwork and that type of schooling. If the horse is still growing then it is not a bad thing not to ride too much anyway. Have fun. Enjoy. Just bring the horse back into work slowly when you are ready.

You are bonkers by the way, but so is everyone who owns a horse.

kimberleigh

Visit site
Yay I'm glad its not just me!!

How on earth do I add photos?? I used to have a photobucket account but then it got full up and I forgot the sign in details 😏

There is still no option to upload directly from phone to HHO is there?

Fiona

Visit site
Yay I'm glad its not just me!!

How on earth do I add photos?? I used to have a photobucket account but then it got full up and I forgot the sign in details 😏

There is still no option to upload directly from phone to HHO is there?

You can add from Facebook quite easily....

Fiona

JJS

Visit site
You can create an Imgur account and add pictures from there. Very much looking forward to seeing your new purchase! :)

pippixox

Visit site
you can blame both baby and pregnancy combined! I have a 22 month old and number 2 is due in 2 weeks. I have a new forest pony I pretend is my toddlers! (in fairness great as a lead reign, just a bit big and normally ridden by me!) along with my retired racehorse and a 15yo mare I ride when not 9 months pregnant. still can't help looking at adding to rescue dog collection- only have 2 so far, and I could have easily gained a soon to be ex-racer the other day, but head ruled in the end! (or lack of money really)

cobsarefab

Visit site
Here you go :)
4sDUfgq.jpg

Tangaroo

Visit site
It will all be fine! She sounds like a sweetheart. Sometimes heart has to overrule head. Let's face it, there is never a 'perfect' time to incur the expense & hassle of another pet, whether horse, dog, whatever. If we thought it through with our sensible heads on, no-one would ever do anything. So sometimes one has to think, **** it, life is short, buy the horse...!

Says someone who is trying to resist the siren call of buying a horse unseen from an Irish website... Must NOT pop horse in 'basket'...must NOT pop horse in 'basket'...must NOT... :)

Im also trying to resist popping a horse in the basket!! Probably same website!

alainax

Visit site
*pulls the handbrake*
As the mother of a toddler and baby, it’s soemtimes nice to have something you can just grab out the field and get on.

Congratulations on the pregnancy, I wish you all the very best.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
PP, I went foal shopping when I was pregnant with my first. The idea being that they could grow up together! Didn't find one though.

Hasn't she got long legs?! I hope it all turns out well for you.

kimberleigh

Visit site
*pulls the handbrake*
As the mother of a toddler and baby, it’s soemtimes nice to have something you can just grab out the field and get on.

Congratulations on the pregnancy, I wish you all the very best.

Not sure Ive ever had one of those - tried it with a welsh d and he was more mental than 99% of my tbs haha

kimberleigh

Visit site
PP, I went foal shopping when I was pregnant with my first. The idea being that they could grow up together! Didn't find one though.

Hasn't she got long legs?! I hope it all turns out well for you.

Yes she does! Thinking she will certainly end up 17hh+, I'm 5'9 with fairly long legs and a long body so tend to feel more secure on something bigger...and she is that for sure

atropa

Visit site
VERY pretty and yes she still looks very babyish too so leaving her to chill until baby number two is finished cooking is a great idea :)

catembi

Visit site
Lovely horse!

(FWIW, spurred on by your example, I put my horse in the basket! Rather stunned at my daring! Eeeepp...! But then I had my deposit returned as he'd just sold :-( So then I asked the lady out of everything she had, what had the most jump...? And I put a deposit on that! I was looking for: gelding, TB-ish build, bay (= NO BATHING); I have ended up with: mare, ID, grey...!! But she is a very similar breeding to the late Catembi (in avatar; by Cruising), and he would jump *anything* and was only denied superstardom by being hampered by idiot jockey, so we shall see what turns up... Lady currently has lots of adverts over there >>>>>>>> for anyone else who is feeling reckless and who wants to join me in the Naughty Corner...!)

Equi

Visit site
You’re mental. But that face!!!!

Realistically I think she could do with an entire year off to grow, she looks very immature. But when she does she’s going to be an absolute corker. Probably one of the prettiest thoroughbreds I have seen in a long time.

kimberleigh

Visit site
Dreading the size rugs she will warrant 😂 my 8 year old TB gelding (who is out on loan) has grown at least 2" since I bought him aged 5 so she may well end up even more giant than she is now 🙈