Premier Equine travel boots slip - alternatives please :)

MissP

Visit site
Hi
I have a 15.1 conny. I got him some Premier Equine ballastic travel boots in Medium. They are meant to fit 14.2-16.2, but they are too big. Grrr. They slip really easily. I've tried tightening them up (so they overlap at the front). He kicks out a bit when he starts walking, and they just fall over the hoof. Anyone else got this problem with PE boots? Another woman on my yard has the same boots - her horse is about 16 hands and they slip on him too and he is also gets bugged by them

Any suggestions for a travel boot that stays in place and has good sizing? I wondered about weatherbeeta, woof wear, or Mark Todd? Don't want to splash out before researching now!

I don't think my boy is an odd size - just a nice conny stamp.

Thanks!

BlairandAzria

Visit site
The best travel boots I ever had is a cheap pair from lidl! No joke. They fit my 15.2 perfectly, they have a million Velcro tabs so you can get them tight enough, think they were £15 definitely keep your eyes out when they have their equestrian range in stock!

albeg

Visit site
I find the Amigo boots great for my 14.2, they've only slipped once and it was my fault, I hadn't tightened the middle strap properly.

Chottsy

Visit site
I've got a weatherbeeta pair that I admit I first bought because they matched my travel rug/fleece. :)

My horse is 16.1hh with TB legs. They haven't slipped yet.

They aren't anything fancy but do the job. They have lovely fleece (like sheep fluff) on the inside which I like for winter if he's standing around in the cold!

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
Mark Todds. Never slip, all my mates have them. A friend's mare slipped in the trailer over the weekend and afterwards her boots were exactly in place. Not a mark on the mare either :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
The best travel boots I ever had is a cheap pair from lidl! No joke. They fit my 15.2 perfectly, they have a million Velcro tabs so you can get them tight enough, think they were £15 definitely keep your eyes out when they have their equestrian range in stock!

Mine aren't from Lidl but I have a cheapo set that are rip-off of the old style Rhino boots, think the front boot has 6 or 7 straps and the hinds have 5 or 6. You can get them really snug and they never move. i'll be looking out for another set like it when they wear out... though I've had them 12 years so far! They wash well too.
I really never get on with the boots with 3 big straps and big rigid bits like the PE boots. I rate all of their other products, but never find that style work well.

I like the look of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rhinegold-Horses-Long-Travel-Boots/dp/B008O4GBX4

not very fancy, but very similar to my perfect set ;)

Last edited:

Jo1987

Visit site
I find the more expensive, stiff, shaped ones don't stay put as well as the softer cheapy ones as they mould round the leg better so you can get them tighter! Best pair I had were some old Saxon ones, don't think they make them anymore though unfortunately. Now have a heavy cob whose legs are too short and wide to fit boots! Good job he has his own 'built in' furry leg protection.

MissP

Visit site
Thanks everyone. This is really helpful. And there are some cheap options that could be good - whoop :D x

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I loved my lidl ones, nice waffle lining in black to not attract the dirt. He does have some rhinos atm but the fronts aren't big enough to go round his fetlocks!

Sprig

Visit site
If you find you are still struggling with travel boots why not have a think about travelling in brushing boots and overreach boots? That is what I do as I don't like travel boots due to the risk of slipping and over-heating.

MissP

Visit site
Premier Equine have offered a refund even though I'm passed my 14 day refund period. :) Impressed with that!