preparing for winter

Mince Pie

Visit site
Enfys... your winters are proper ones (and no doubt oop North n in Scotland) where you are...

I'm not 100% jealous but I would love to see proper snow again one day down here in the south west of England.... can't remember the last time any settled... 2010?

Where in the South West are you, Tallyho?

Damnation

Visit site
Enfys... your winters are proper ones (and no doubt oop North n in Scotland) where you are...

I'm not 100% jealous but I would love to see proper snow again one day down here in the south west of England.... can't remember the last time any settled... 2010?

Come to north Cumbria, we get loads, I'll even give you some to take back!! :D

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Defiantly a chill in the air in the morning here .
We started yesterday checking what rugs I need to buy for Autumn .
The forecast is awful here for the next three days MT TBs will be rugged if I leave them out .

I was doing some in-hand work at 7am this morning and I was sweating!! The flies got too much by 7.30 and we were both glad to be in the stable after that... the out horses have got their heads in the hedges and not grazing. The ones who come in, are quite happy to find their own way to the stable... :D

Luci07

Visit site
Here's what I need to do.

Lift mats, wash out box, paint stable
Clippers serviced and blades sharpened
New pair of yard boots as mine have splits at the side
Rugs sorted, repaired and cleaned and reproofed
New musto snugs or similar. Absolute gift to just pull on a pair of showerproof and fleecy jods. Literally wear them out
More mucking out gloves
New feed bin

Here's what I have done...

B**ger all! And it's staying that way for a little bit longer!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
It's definitely feeling more Autumnal at the moment. I might be getting by with flip flops in the day but it's layers in the mornings & evenings to do the horses, I've had my first hot chocolate since last winter and it's currently dark and raining heavily at the moment ...!

I'm feeling pretty organised at the moment. Over the course of the summer I've bought various winter things (mainly as they have been in the sale).

I've stocked up on probably far, far too many snoods & ear warmers. Plus, a new pair of Woof Wear wellingtons. I've also splashed out on rather expensive softshell breeches in the hope they are as windproof & waterproof as they say! Just a new riding coat to go :)

The horse has new Thermatex (type) rug & a new stable rug.

The stable matting came up to disinfect a weekends ago. Stocked up on feedbowls & haynets to make up in advance.

He comes in all year round, so bedding/feed & hay is a constant buy!

Only things left bulk buy are industrial strength moisturiser, lip balm and my sanity to help get through the coming cold, dark months ...!!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'd dearly love snow this year! Just a bit for a short time!

We have moved and the horses are right here and work is a good drive on tiny country roads so i absolutely wouldnt be able to get in and would be stuck at home with my horses.....sounds like heaven, until it melts and turns the fields to a bog of course!

Enfys

Visit site
Imagining Enfys doing her horses dressed up like a bank robber... How do you SEE if the eye holes are at the back??! ;)

PMSL. I cut more, and actually you are right, only my eyes show ;) The entire nation could be bank robbers in mid winter :) Apart from the whack jobs who still come to the barn in bare heads, shorts and flip flops when there is 3' of snow, and yes, I know some of them :D

scats

Visit site
I always think, around the start of October, that I'll start getting ready for winter. But as usual, it creeps up before I know it and I just bumble through like I have done for the last 30 years.

Rugs are all washed and ready though, that's my spring job. Costs me about £200 to get them all washed, re-proofed and repaired.

tallyho!

Visit site
I always think, around the start of October, that I'll start getting ready for winter. But as usual, it creeps up before I know it and I just bumble through like I have done for the last 30 years.

Rugs are all washed and ready though, that's my spring job. Costs me about £200 to get them all washed, re-proofed and repaired.

Rugs :O

I think all mine are homes to s p-p-p-ppiderrsss... there's no way I'm touching them.

Will have to drag husband to yard...........

*shivers*

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Last of the rugs are in for washing.

One stable has been gutted, washed and new bed put down.

Rugs sorted to sell.

Just a few more bits to sort through and I think we are sorted.

I need to order a red sheep snuggy hood exercise sheet

Oh and I ve finally found a food my horse likes 🙆

zizz

Visit site
I have made the below list, but that's about as far as I have got!! I always think I'm going to get ahead of myself ready for winter, then before I know it, it's Christmas...

Sort Muckheap - get it cleared/spread if too full for another winter's worth
Paint/treat feild shelter and barn
Creosote yard fence & gates
Clear and disinfect stables
Bulk buy bedding
Replace dodgy water and feed buckets
Sort/replace rugs
Clear tackroom
Stock up on head collars and ropes as these always get lost in the dark
Replace any broken fencing insulators
Top up stone yard/fill potholes
Service clippers
New batteries for head torch
Get the hedges cut before the ground gets too wet

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I can confidently say I am fully prepared for winter. :)
Lots of foul weather sailing kit which is great for winter riding.
As for the rest, horse is on full livery. :p

Antw23uk

Visit site
I dont have much to do ..... I need to board out the tack room adding shelves, hooks and everything else that goes with making it nice and user friendly, creosote the stables and post and rails .. oh the little job of wiring in solar and wind turbine for lighting and electricity ... buy a little gas stove top for making strong black coffee freshly (I cannot and will not do instant!) ... put post and rail round the concrete pad my stables sit on so i can have an open stable policy when the ground and weather is really pants. I harvest my own rainwater so lord knows what will happen with that come the freezing weather! ... First winter at home in a very basic 'yard' and as much as im dreading it im also really looking forward to it as well :D

Bright_Spark

Visit site
For the first time ever, mine will be on part livery for winter so I will not have to worry about feed, hay, bedding etc, but I still have quite a bit to do:

Get rugs organised to be taken for washing and reproofing
Clippers need servicing and blades sharpened
Find headtorch and charger
Stock up with extra hi-viz gear
Buy 2 stable rugs, set of turnout boots, hi-viz exercise sheet
For me - Muck Boot Co riding boots, waterproof jodphurs, gloves and socks

Challaborough Christmas Tree

Visit site
I'm all sorted, I've sold the horse and I'm pi**ing off to uni 😂 First winter since I was 7 that I won't have to get up and trudge through the cold muddy Welsh countryside at 6am before school everyday and I can't wait! I've even bought a coat because it looks nice and not for how horse and yard proof it is as well as new hats that haven't had the bobble chewed by one of the furry Devils

tallyho!

Visit site
I'm all sorted, I've sold the horse and I'm pi**ing off to uni �� First winter since I was 7 that I won't have to get up and trudge through the cold muddy Welsh countryside at 6am before school everyday and I can't wait! I've even bought a coat because it looks nice and not for how horse and yard proof it is as well as new hats that haven't had the bobble chewed by one of the furry Devils

Mwahahaaaa :D:D:D

yeah yeah... you'll be back :D:D:D

Shoei

Visit site
Rugs went of to be washed and reproofed on Tuesday... never mind the spiders this year I had a bird nest in one that was hanging up!!! Luckily nothing in it by I'm def washing, reproofing and packing away at the end of this season. Definitely!!

DD

Visit site
ATM am looking forward to winter. no flies or too hot days to ride. maybe crisp white snow and fluffy snuggly horses, hot chocolate and marshmellows. Bring it on.

Sealine

Visit site
I love this time of year as it means the start to Autumn hunting. I've brushed the mud off my hacking jacket and polished my boots ready for our first outing next week. I can't wait, I'm like an excited child. The only drawback is getting up in the dark at 4.30am for a 6am meet.

I bought new winter coats and boots and a new turnout rug at bargain prices in the sales a couple of months ago. I should have a feed room and tack room clear out and tidy up if I can convince the other liveries who share them to join in one weekend. Easier said than done!