Preparing to PTS

Visit site
Sorry for the morbid post. I am coming to the end of the road with my boy after a year of trying different treatments for a multitude of lameness issues. I want to be prepared but have never lost my own horse; only smaller pets, so not sure where to start. I know which collection company I'd like to use, and the vet will do the deed. Do I need to do anything else except ring both and book a day? What should I expect; is it the same as with dogs where they sedate and then inject? Horse is quite flighty but sedates easily, he went under GA years ago without issues so would this make you think he'd "go" easily enough? I don't want him to struggle/fight.

Merrymoles

Visit site
There will undoubtedly be people who tell you horror stories but this is to say that I have never experienced any issues with the vet PTS and I have now seen probably more than ten horses PTS this way. The last was my boy in November due to colic and there were quite a few noises after he went down but they were purely reflexes and he clearly wasn't still with us.

Make a big fuss of your boy beforehand as it will be a memory to hang on to rather than the actual deed.

Yes, they do usually sedate beforehand and put a catheter in in case they need to adminster more drugs. I think the worse part is that some horses go down quite fast and hard so you are generally not allowed to hold the lead rope yourself, although you can usually stay with them. If you don't think you can stay calm and not upset your horse, then leave it to the vet. I have always been able to hold it together until after it is done but some people can't and I can't think of anything worse than transmitting that stress to the horse.

My main advice is not the hang around for the collection as that is the bit I can't bear. Give your horse all the love you can and then go and make a cup of tea/gin whatever you need and let the collection people deal with removal.

It's a hard, hard thing you are doing and you obviously have your boy's interests at heart. Remember that he will not know anything about it, no matter how much you are suffering. Sending you a hug for having to deal with it.

Esmae

Visit site
Our vet sorts the whole thing for us from pts to collection. If you speak with them I feel sure that yours would do the same. Ours always sedates first and then it is as peaceful as those situations can be. Sorry you having to do this but it is all part of it sadly. Nobody lives forever. Big hug and chin up.

Visit site
Thanks all. I will speak to vet when I speak to them next, with our smaller pets they sorted cremation etc but I didn't think that they might also do this for the horses.

I'm aware that they can make noise or move after so prepared for that. He does tend to react quickly to sedation so I'm hoping this will work in our favour and it will be over with soon. Should I stay on the yard (will go sit in the car or something) until they are done with loading him etc, in case they need me? Will they need his passport?

We will be doing this after months of box rest as a last ditch attempt and I think this is what I'm saddest about, he would have been holed up in that 12 x 12 on soaked double netted hay to keep his weight down "just in case".. I will spoil him thoroughly now I know it doesn't matter per say, but I think my struggle is that although he didn't show it much through his behaviour, he probably would have been (inwardly) miserable for all that time and that will be his last memories.. or does that sound ridiculous?

Last edited:

dorsetladette

Visit site
Sorry you have to go through this, but well done for being that owner and not passing him on to an uncertain future.

When my old lad went he was sedated and then PTS. Basically an overdose of GA so they know nothing apart from going to sleep.

Like others have said make a big fuss of him, a big bucket of feed/fresh grass/the treats he likes best etc etc.

From experience my advise would be to do the deed in a place that is easily accessible for a trailer or truck so collection afterwards is a simple and quick as possible. That way you can just point the guy in the right direction and walk away. I didn't think about this and ended up having to remove a fence to get the trailer backed up as the gate to his field was only 4ft wide.

Mostly take care of yourself, its harder than people realise loosing your best friend.

fankino04

Visit site
Don't have much practical advice for you as only had to do this once and it was about 12 years ago and didn't get much of a chance to plan. Vet did the deed, sedated first so I could see she was peacefully asleep which gave me comfort, she dropped really quickly when THE drugs were administered, I somehow knew to look away at that very point so relieved not to have seen her go down. Vets arranged collection etc and I didn't stay for that. I guess all you can do between now and then is make as many good memories as you can (photo shoots? Paddock picnics? Whatever), take any tail you might want for memorial jewelry, shoes off and maybe one to keep etc.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Vet put mine to sleep…she went gently down onto her knees and dropped over on her side. No drama. Remove headcollars asap and be prepared for bowel and bladder evacuations (especially if you want some tail hair moments). Definitely do not be there for the collection if using fallen stick company which I did.
I know that some people use a particular service which euthanises horse in a trailer/small lorry.

Annagain

Visit site
Sorry you're facing this. I've been with a few while they've been PTS and while they've all been sad, none have been traumatic. The only one who wasn't sedated was my old boy as he was already down and on his way so the vet just helped him along. He said sedating him at that point would just have slowed the whole thing down and he wasn't moving anyway. With the ones who were standing they didn't keel over or anything, just sort of crumpled.

Are you on a livery yard? I'd talk to your YO if so, ours is always brilliant at making the collection arrangements for us although the vet will also do it if you ask them to. I wouldn't try to co-ordinate it yourself, it's hard enough making that one appointment.

I wouldn't stay for the collection. My YO (and a farmer) wouldn't let me stay, saying I didn't need to see it. It's not nice. The horse knows nothing of it though, that's what you need to keep in mind.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
So sorry to hear this. If you've chosen the collection company and the vet then all you need to do is book it in. If the collection company is known to the vets , they may even liaise and sort it so there's less stress for you.

Do you have anyone who can be with you on the day?

SEL

Visit site
Hi OP - I've had to have that call with my vet this week and they couldn't have been more helpful. I'm in a different position to you because this is a horse that was left on my land and it is definitely in his best interests to go before winter gets any worse. I don't have the same emotional attachment as I do for others that have been with me for years, but saying that I still found myself welling up and falling over my words on the phone with the vet's receptionist (who was lovely - they sadly do this all the time)

For this boy they are organising the collection alongside the vet. I think that can be more expensive but to be honest I just want it all done as quickly and peacefully as possible. They did ask if I wanted cremation so you might find your vet can speak to that person too for you if it'll make it easier.

I'll fill him full of his favourite cheap pony nuts on the day and stick a likit in front of him when the vet turns up.

**hugs** One of my old timers will no doubt be next on the list and that one will break my heart so I know how tough it is

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Ask your vet to sedate him first, they should be happy to work with you and explain what drugs they use and how those will affect him.
Also if you want your horses ashes back ,this will cost more and you need to arrange this with the collection company.

I know you're anxious and stressed and heart broken and i know it's easy to say this - try not to worry. Speak to your vet about any concerns, they know what they're doing and are in the best place to help with those concerns.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
So sorry you are going through this. Some great words of wisdom already.

I would add, and I am sure will be criticised by some for saying this, that you don't need to be there. It is absolutely up to you, your choice. I have been there for my horse, have been there for a friend's horse and not been there for another horse. I said goodbye, we had a hug and then I walked away. I was far too distressed and I felt my distress could have been picked up and responded to.

Spotherisk

Visit site
I am sorry. Other things to consider - the collection service we use wants payment when we call to book so be prepared as that’s a really wobbly thing to deal with. The liquid the vet injects is bright blue and there’s quite a bit - two big syringes for my 15hh cob. Do any field mates need to say goodbye after he has passed but before collection. And go and cut yourself some long thick tail hair - a big old chunk. Kinder to yourself to do it when he’s still with you. Wash it well, comb it, dry it, discard the short hairs.

Birker2020

Visit site
Sorry for the morbid post. I am coming to the end of the road with my boy after a year of trying different treatments for a multitude of lameness issues. I want to be prepared but have never lost my own horse; only smaller pets, so not sure where to start. I know which collection company I'd like to use, and the vet will do the deed. Do I need to do anything else except ring both and book a day? What should I expect; is it the same as with dogs where they sedate and then inject? Horse is quite flighty but sedates easily, he went under GA years ago without issues so would this make you think he'd "go" easily enough? I don't want him to struggle/fight.

Before anyone says anything - I am not 'trying to make this all about me' :rolleyes: but thought you might like to read my story.
My horse went very peacefully with injection in June this year, had her 17 years and she was a 24 year old WB who had done very well, but she'd come to the end of the road in terms of lameness. As I could see how lame she was and I, like you, had tried everything, I knew there was nothing else to be done and didn't feel guilty, I felt proud of my lovely girl and glad I could end her suffering. I prided myself in the fact that I never once cried in front of her., she hadn't a clue what was happening. She had horrendous navicular changes which we'd not been aware of.

The hardest part of the whole process was booking the call. I found that absolutely heartbreaking as the receptionist who I've know for the past 20 odd years was trying to hold it together, although you could tell she felt upset for me. After that call I found it surprisingly easier than I had anticipated to get on with things in the lead up. Because I was waiting to be interviewed for my current post (a 2.3 year contract which wasn't to be sneezed at) after speaking to the vet I arranged to keep her going for another week or so by upping the bute in order that I could have my interview without breaking down. I was offered the job on the day and didn't start for a couple of weeks which really helped.

I never thought I could count down the days, hours and minutes as I'd always been the type that had to do it there and then I thought, but I found it quite reassuring to have extra time with her. It was a lovely last week for us both, I gave her so many cuddles, and had so many chats with her and she was buted to the hilt and spoilt rotten and the weather was so warm. Her last hour was spent in the sun stuffing her face in the paddock I'd always strip grazed for her. We'd taken down the fence line when we turned her into it (judging that she wouldn't get colic being on it only an hour as she was always a very colicky type) and she was so delighted at seeing all the lovely rich grass she did a little hop, skip and jump and that memory will always be the one I will remember as she was dog lame by that point.

When the vet came we led her to the field (last minute change of plan from the indoor school to a quiet unused field much to my and the vets relief) and stood with her whilst the vet sedated her. He said he always did that in case their was a sudden noise or disturbance. I said I would hold her but I didn't want to see her fall so the vet said I could walk give him the rope and walk away and hide behind the trailers (by the field entrance) as he had a brilliant way of bringing horses down in a kind way but on his own. It really helped that she'd been out in the paddock overnight and usually came in during the day so although we'd initially got her in from the field and she'd been in the stable to have her breakfast, we'd took her back out after. So she was very, very tired.

My partner left first then I said a final silent goodbye and left. We burst into tears (that is the bit I regret as she would have heard us) and then we heard a little snort and a thump and when I dared turn to look I could see that she had stopped breathing and was more or less gone. We went to say goodbye and left quickly as we didn't want to see the wagon turn up to collect her.

The vet told us that it could take up to 1.5 minutes for the injection to work. He also said there might be movement after - sometimes there is a snort, or fluttering or they move their legs. They are unconcious and not aware at this stage, its just the body shutting down but its really important you are aware this can happen and all the best vets will say this to their clients.

so sorry for you upcoming loss OP x

Last edited:

Antw23uk

Visit site
I've only had to do this once and i didnt use the vet method of injection but my YO very kindly let me turn him out in a big field for a blast that morning. He had an absolutely great time hooning around. I filled him with carrots and then left to groom for a friend who was doing dressage that day, i couldnt bare to be there so the yard owner held him for the deed and he was gone when i got back to the yard but i got in my car and went straight home anyway and turned up a few days later to empty my stable and take my things.

Lady Jane

Visit site
I have never waited for collection - my vet has always done that for me but I don't know if they all do that. In my cases they have been planned, not emergency situations so my vet had managed arrangements

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
So sorry you are going through this. Some great words of wisdom already.

I would add, and I am sure will be criticised by some for saying this, that you don't need to be there. It is absolutely up to you, your choice. I have been there for my horse, have been there for a friend's horse and not been there for another horse. I said goodbye, we had a hug and then I walked away. I was far too distressed and I felt my distress could have been picked up and responded to.
good advice here. i have attended many pts for other peoples animals and at work, but i have one planned pts in the coming weeks and i don't think i will be there, i will probably get OH to attend. It's all been a bit of a rubbish situation and i know i would be OK to be there but frankly i don't want to.

I am hoping to get the vet school to have the body, they collect from my area. so some good will come of it.

Sheep

Visit site
I am so sorry that you are facing this, your horse is lucky to have such a kind, caring and loving owner who is putting his best interests ahead of their own; it is really admirable, although I know that doesn’t make it any less painful.

I have been present with two of my own horses being PTS (most recently, yesterday) and two of my friends horses. My boy was very compromised so he went very quietly; our mare, who was pts in May, was much the same. I stayed with them but I know that is not for everyone, be guided by your feelings on the day and don’t feel pressurised to do something you are not comfortable with. The other two were generally more healthy but again they passed peacefully and calmly, with them as well it was a passing I would have been happy with for my own horses.

In terms of practicalities, as others have said, in my experience the vet will sedate first and insert a cannula. The sedation will make them quite woozy and placid quickly. If you decide to stay, they will probably ask you to step back when they administer the drug itself. My boy was already lying down when the vet did everything but in the other 3 cases, all fell to the ground as gently as could have been expected and I promise it wasn’t distressing for them or for me. Once they have had the full doses the vet will check for heart activity etc. There may be a wee bit of movement as others have mentioned, but they are completely unaware, and the whole process is over in a couple of minutes.

I have been present for collection of unconnected-to-me horses and I would really suggest not being there at that stage. They people we have used are very professional and compassionate but personally I would rather be away by that stage.

Most importantly any vet I’ve spoken with in these circumstances have been incredibly kind, compassionate and considerate and they make sure you understand what will be happening. It is a difficult experience for them as well. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Have a kind friend with you who can step in to help you if needs be. When our mare was pts (colic) in May, a good friend of ours & our YO came over to the yard very early to step in if we needed it. In the end I decided to stay but my OH (who was her owner, really) opted to leave beforehand because he didn’t want to see it. It’s so personal and neither decision is wrong.

I am really, really sorry that you have this ahead of you, sending you love at this really painful time. If I can be of any help at all, or if you have any questions I might be able to help with, please just drop me a pm.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Sorry but I would only ever use the 'knacker man' for want of a better term and a bolt gun never vet and injection.

I think this topic has been covered quite a few times already. We are each guided by our own experiences and have to make our own decision based on the options available in the area and circumstances and are just trying to do the best for our horse. I don't think setting out a "right way" is helpful.

My experience is that for a horse or pony that is generally good to handle, not scared of the vet or needle shy, doesn't have compromised circulation and isn't already wound up or traumatized then the vet and injection, using an experienced vet, is a very gentle and quiet way to go with less risk of going wrong than a bolt gun, and also less traumatizing for the owner if they are present and less likely to leave a mess which can be upsetting to clear up. Both can go wrong in a very small minority of cases.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Sorry but I would only ever use the 'knacker man' for want of a better term and a bolt gun never vet and injection.
That is my usual method unless a horse has to be put to sleep in an emergency like colic but it is entirely up to the individual as to what they prefer and in this case the owner prefers the vet to do it. It is whatever you personally can cope with.