price for sharer

madeleine1

Visit site
hi
what would you ask for a share in a horse

who is well schooled (previous novice evernter) but is only just being brought back into work.
can be competed but i dont have the transport.
brilliant hacking but i need to sort out the napping
field school as she is in my private field so limited facilities.
can ride weekends or any morning during the week but maximum 4 rides a week
well known and likes local horse as she has been in a riding school
good to handle but needs a forgiving but confident handler to maintain this as she is a stroppy mare

i know writing it like that it makes it sound like no one will want her but. her ride is worth it.

be positive

Visit site
As she needs to get fit by hacking but sounds as if that will be a potential problem if she naps I would consider myself lucky if initially I could find someone willing to do that without me having to pay them however nice she may be once she is fit and back in full work. I would not expect someone to pay to bring my horse into work but would be pleased if they would do it for nothing until she is up and going then start to possibly ask for a contribution towards shoes, if she is on your own land there is no livery to consider so anything is a bonus.

madeleine1

Visit site
im bringing her back into work myself. she will be schooling fit in a few weeks as i have already been working her.
and i will crack the hacking myself i just cant promise a sharer that they can hack out yet
i dont expect them to pay to bring her back into work. i would expect them to take the first few weeks they ride her slowly.
i think only paying towards shoes is taking the piss frankly. i dont want to over charge but even with no livery it costs more then half a pair of shoes to keep a horse.

just to make it clearer she can be schooled and ridden in her field as its not muddy and relatively flat. so there is always somewhere to ride unless it snows

Last edited:

madeleine1

Visit site
sorry be positive i dont want that to sounds snappy i didnt mean it like that at all. ive just read it back and im just trying to answer ur points. thank you for the feed back

Queenbee

Visit site
If you look at everyone of your sentences there is a 'but' in it, it's not very positive. It really depends on what you want in a sharer I think, if you are happy with someone who just wants to hack her, then obviously (as you say you are going to do) you need to sort the napping, if you want someone who is going to school and possibly compete your horse, then I have to say what you are offering is not at all ideal, I wouldn't really want to pay for a horse to event or compete that was kept somewhere with no facilities to work with, schooling in a field is so touch and go in the uk. As a result I think it more likely that if you crack the hacking, you could probably ask more from someone who just wants to hack and maybe compete a few times a year, than from someone who has real aspirations. However, on this note, I'd say that if I was sharing a horse to hack out, I wouldn't be happy to pay for a horse I couldn't hack out for the first few weeks, that's taking the pee too.

I would normally say that for a share that equates to 3 - 4 days I would ask for about £100 - £125 a month, but that is for a horse that schools, hacks, jumps etc an is at a yard with facilities, it also factors in livery charges which you do not have. So I would actually be inclined to say about £15-£20 a wk or rather, between £60-80 a month, no more for what you are offering. I also would advertise now as it can take some while to find a sharer, but if it's someone who just wants to hack I certainly would not take any money from them until I'd resolved the napping

madeleine1

Visit site
queen be thats a fair cop really and i know its all negative cos i dont want to give a unfair view of the situation.
your thread was actually really helpful. thank you.

i will get the napping sorted as hacking round here is brilliant as she is kept on a route with three different bridle paths and a small wood.
the napping is as much me as her. as i totally lost my confience with her last year but i feel much better in myself and will get it sorted.

honestly i only have about two weeks a year where i cant ride her in the field.

im looking before she is hacking and in full work because like u say it can take a while.

we do have a riding school about 6 houses away but its £10 a hour to rent the school

Lambkins

Visit site
My sharer pays £20pw for 2 days a week..my pony is fairly well schooled and good to hack .. He is safe and kind but a typical welshie ..so not really a first horse . My sharer hacks one day and has a lesson on him the other day .
My sharer does her 2 days on days I work ..and it would cost me £10 to get him looked after..so really her value to me is more than £20pw..more like £40..plus she makes all my haynets up ..gives him a massive comfy bed..poo picks, cleans tack (all off her own back) ..and if I need to work extra days or go on holiday ..she is very happy to do him
For me ( and I don't charge extra) . . She is not the greatest rider and doesn't have much confidence ..but she loves him and she is learning so much from him. .so in return I offer a nice but cheeky welshie , a school, a bhs instructor on site , good hacking, friendly yard , a nice stable/yard set up, a radio ,a kettle ,cappuccinos / lattes /mochas ..and a full tin of chocolate biscuits !

kc100

Visit site
I'm a sharer and have shared a few horses in my time now - for your horse with those facilities I'd pay no more than £60 per month.

If you are looking for a reasonably experienced rider chances are you are looking for someone over 18, and in that case they probably work full time which makes it hard to ride before work. If they cant ride after work then it will be weekends only so that means they can only ride twice a week.

I have paid a variety of different costs, ranging from £110 per month to £150 per month - but all my shares I have had the horse a minimum of 4 rides per week (the £150 was unlimited riding), all have had floodlit outdoor schools, all on livery so no chores for me (apart from the £110 horse) and some with transport for shows.

Personally I'd be wary of sharing a horse who needs a lot of work like your horse, if its nappy and out of work then it will be unfit and a difficult ride at times. Then you have to factor in riding in winter during the week will be nigh on impossible with no facilities so it will just be hacking at weekends in the winter. To an experienced rider who works full time its not a hugely appealing share to be honest - especially when there are people looking for people to ride and compete their horses and dont ask for any contribution at all (like my current arrangement - I ride 5 times a week and can compete, with great facilities; she doesnt ask for any money at all because I'm doing her a favour riding her incredibly difficult horse who she has lost confidence with).

I think if you ask for more than £60 per month you will put a lot of people off, mainly due to the lack of facilities and challenging nature of your horse.

But saying that I'm sure you will find someone if you are patient and are open to a wide range of riders, you might not get someone super experienced but you can always supervise for a while and have a trial period to make sure it works for both you and the sharer.

madeleine1

Visit site
hi
update

so i put one post on facebook saying im looking for a sharer for my horse dancer and please can you message me if interested, no more info then that.

with in 3 days i had 6 people message me and found someone who had one week trial and is now one week into the share.

my horse did what i expected and bucked and threw a little tantrum on the first ride. but has calmed down and settled since.

my sharer is paying £25 a week and gets 3 rides but is not expected to do any duties unless its just handing the horse the feed if she is already at the field.

she is an experienced 16 year old.

she has told me the main reasons that she liked my horse/set up is:

that im on a very easy and well used bus route.

my horse is interesting and is a very pleasing ride.

my sharer is a really good rider but as we all do has something to learn but has ridden young and stroppy horses.
shes having a lesson with a local instructer who i rate, this week and overall im very pleased

thanks for all the feed back earlyer

fingers crossed it keeps going this well xx

Amy567

Visit site
My old sharer had sole use of my late mare, who I borrowed every now and again. She could ride as little or as often as she liked, compete, xc school, lessons, basically like she was her own horse. She used to feed both of the horses every now and again (off her own.back) clean tack (again, off her own back) and poo pick once to twice a week as part of the share agreement. We had a menage, but no flood lights, but I used to box up and take her all,over the place too. She paid £120 per month, we're on a private yard, so no livery costs, but horse was extremely expensive (£350 a month without rugs etc) so sharer paid a realistic percentage to call horse their own.

Daytona

Visit site
Round my way it's £150 a month for horse in full livery with indoor school etc

And £80 for horse in a field type thing.

So I'd say £80 a month tops

Shay

Visit site
I think I'm under charging! When we went into sharing for my daughter's hunter in the summer season we just worked out what he actually cost (that was a bit of a shock!) and split it up. I charge £100 per month for every day they have. So 2 days, £200 etc. He is a pony so we are largely looking for 12 - 16 yr olds plus I insist on a horsey adult to accompany. We have a great friendly yard with good facilities, pony club on site, transport to shows etc. Although we do change sharers fairly often, in no small part because we have him back in the hunt season, all bar one has gone on to own their own horse, three remain on the same yard. I almost always have a waiting list for him and the one time I had to advertise we had over 20 replies in the fist 48 hours. I did wonder when I started reading this post about putting his price up - but we are honestly just covering our costs for him, and we take all the risks with replacing tack & equipment etc. So OP - try to figure out what she actually costs and split it. That might come out at a reasonable sum.

Charmel

Visit site
My Sharer pays £100 a month. The horse is a well schooled 9 year old 16.3 TB who will hack anywhere who jumps double clear 3ft courses and is about to affiliate to BE. He is easy to handle and has absolutely no quirks. I provide transport to all comps for share of diesel costs. We have a small xc course and a brand new 35x40 menage. Plus good quiet area to hack, the sharer/loaner rides as much or as little as they want but have to do stable duties when there... I have a second sharer who pays £100 towards a 138 jumping pony and just competes once a week, no schooling this is done for her, ahe just picks her up once a week takes her to a competition and then brings her home. She does not see the mare at all the rest of the week. Just really pays 100 a month so her daughter can win competitions... My daughter who is now too tall for her keeps the pony well schooled and fit ready for her.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I'm glad you have found a sharer and the costs seem reasonable.

I have to say that with a horse that can throw a buck, nap and be difficult I would have preferred a sharer to be over 18 years old.

ihatework

Visit site
There is a lot of 'buts' in there!!!
I think if you found someone capable & reliable who was willing to cover her shoeing then that would be a reasonable exchange.

atropa

Visit site
Shay, correct me if I'm wrong - are you saying that you charge your sharer £200/month for a 2 day a week share? That seems incredibly expensive to me. May I ask, out of interest, does he cost you more to keep /does your sharer get more out of him due to him being a hunter?

madeleine1

Visit site
the share has come to an end as my sharer can no longer afford to spend any money on riding. she says she is really upset as she doesnt think she will find anything as good. which is nice to hear. in the mean time my mare is back to being a happy hacker and fully fit. she has recently won show jumping classes at over 1m and gone clear in 80cm cross country so doing pretty well. (we hired transport). im considering getting another sharer. and putting the rate up slightly.

madeleine1

Visit site
the share has come to an end as my sharer can no longer afford to spend any money on riding. she says she is really upset as she doesnt think she will find anything as good. which is nice to hear. in the mean time my mare is back to being a happy hacker and fully fit. she has recently won show jumping classes at over 1m and gone clear in 80cm cross country so doing pretty well. (we hired transport). im considering getting another sharer. and putting the rate up slightly.

Auslander

Visit site
Spikes sharer pays £60 pcm, and can ride him whenever she likes. She gets a nice, well schooled horse, who can teach her a lot, and is safe for her to handle, ride and hack alone, and I get a contribution towards his keep, plus the satisfaction of knowing that Spike has his own person. She is the "grandparent" figure - he loves her because she brings him carrots, spends hours grooming him, and has a lovely bond with him. I am the "parent" figure - who is less popular because I am the one who dishes out tellings off when required, and re-installs manners when he gets too big for his boots.
I'm not so bothered about the money, although it does help! I'm just glad that Spike is someone's no1, and I appreciate the help i get from her - she's always sweeping/skipping out/tidying up. I have my own place, so its nice to have some company, especially from someone who is willing to get stuck in and help!

JDH01

Visit site
I am finding this really interesting as I have 2 horses and a 'sharer' who rides mainly 1 of them but schools and rides the other as she feels she wants. I do the fittening work and hunt both in the winter. She competes up to BE 100, hunts and trains on the one she rides the most and rides as much as she wants and does chores etc when she rides, they are on full livery. It would never have occurred to me to ask for any contribution as I get well schooled and responsive horses who are a pleasure to ride and the pleasure of being an owner at events which without her wouldn't happen. Long may it continue!

Fides

Visit site
I am finding this really interesting as I have 2 horses and a 'sharer' who rides mainly 1 of them but schools and rides the other as she feels she wants. I do the fittening work and hunt both in the winter. She competes up to BE 100, hunts and trains on the one she rides the most and rides as much as she wants and does chores etc when she rides, they are on full livery. It would never have occurred to me to ask for any contribution as I get well schooled and responsive horses who are a pleasure to ride and the pleasure of being an owner at events which without her wouldn't happen. Long may it continue!

But you are getting something out of it - OP is a novice

JDH01

Visit site
I would have thought all those with rider / sharers are getting something out of it whether it is a contribution to keep or whatever, my point is that I am interested as never even thought re financial contribution.

Fides

Visit site
I would have thought all those with rider / sharers are getting something out of it whether it is a contribution to keep or whatever, my point is that I am interested as never even thought re financial contribution.

But someone is schooling your horse for you, the alternative is paying someone. Someone loaning three horse to a novice is likely not to gain anything. I have loaned to a novice in the past and had to teach them how to muck out, tack up, lunge, gave them lessons etc. I certainly wouldn't have done this for a stranger for free. I now have a girl coming who is experienced and helping me on the ground with my youngster in exchange for rides - I certainly wouldn't expect her to pay. I don't even expect her to do any chores.

Mongoose11

Visit site
I have a nicely schooled horse who has recently won her first novice, perfect to hack alone or in company, will gallop on the buckle. Nice school to ride in, lovely horse to deal with.... £75 per month for 2-3 days per week. Remember that there are so many horses available to share nowadays.

If I were you, I'd be looking to find the right person, ask them to invest their time as a benefit to you with a charge for half shoes plus say, £20 at the moment and then an agreed price when she is hacking well and some of the issues are resolved.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine gives me £50 a month for a bombproof safe hacking horse on a yard with good facilities and amazing hacking. He costs me about £250 a month

PollyP99

Visit site
I have recently found someone to ride my mare for me 2 days a week, she a is a good young rider and confident and helps keep porkies weight in check. I'm on a yard with all facilities but would not be expecting the rider to contribute, as someone else said, she rides when I'm at work and also skips her out and turns out etc so those days I have fewer horsey chores so I'm just grateful for her help. Sometimes if the right person comes along it's worth more than any money you gain and often these are ( like mine) riders who can't afford to pay due to being a student or whatever.

ivandenisovich10

Visit site
I don't think I could live without my sharer now. She only pays for my mares shoes every 6 weeks but she helps me with poo picking, picking ragwort, grooms my other two if she's hanging around. Feeds then if. I'm working late.She comes up 3 or 4 times a week and is a godsend

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I have two sharers for our two horses. They don't pay anything, but are nice people to have around. They both leave the stables done on the days they ride and the horses are always well washed off. They will pop up for the farrier or to feed etc if I'm away and we have a good give and take friendly relationship.