Private paddock and stables - how much would you pay?

Bojingles

Visit site
How much would you expect (and be willing) to pay to rent the following (in NW):

- approx 2 acres
- 2 stables + tack room
- miles of off-road hacking
- mains water, no mains electricity
- fully DIY, livery to organise and pay for muck heap removal, basic paddock maintenance

Any input gratefully received!

Rhodders

Visit site
I used to pay £50pcm for 5 acres & 2 stables.
Also rented other similar facilities but with more land for £15 per week per horse

Littlelegs

Visit site
I'd say the same as it would cost for diy on a yard with the same facilities on a farm or something where yo isn't really involved. That is assuming fences, land, buildings etc in good condition now so there wouldn't be expensive maintenance if well looked after. Although you'd be paying extra than on a yard for muckheap etc, the privacy would be worth it. Would depend on the land too though, if its well draining its worth more than 2acres of bog.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
More than your average DIY cost locally - you are paying for the privacy of having your own yard, and not sharing..

A brand new yard was built near us two weeks ago, 3 stables and a shed for storage, concrete yard with water butts on drainpipes, otherwise no water, and no electric, only battery powered lights, up a very bumpy track/road, with 6 acres. It let without being advertised for £70/wk, and there have been several other people asking for it too.

Another field of 4 acres on a steep hill with lots of ragwort to remove, with a double field shelter, no elec or water rents for £60/wk - again easily.

Footprint

Visit site
I'd love this! The privacy of my own little yard really appeals plus good off road hacking, I'd pay around £30 pw maybe more..

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
OP - it really depends on where the private yard is located in the UK.
Some wont pay more than £25 pw (much less in some regions) for std DIY
Round my neck of the woods in commuter belt its likely to be in excess of £250pcm for a small private yard as you describe......but considering that DIY round here is a min of £25 per week at pretty tatty yards with overstocking (usually around £40ish for most yards) for just paddock & stable with nothing else, work out the figures for 2 stables & what 2 horses would cost locally on DIY to get to a reasonable figure pcm:)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Depends where it is. In a very horsey (and expensive land) area of Essex I pay 200pcm for a little more land (2.5+) and muck heap removal etc included.

CazD

Visit site
I rented something very similar for £130 per month. Yard owner paid all maintenance charges, muck heap removal, water bills etc. I was limited to 2 horses although I did manage to sneak a third one in through the summer months.

Bojingles

Visit site
Thanks for your input everyone. It would be in Cheshire.

Food for thought...perhaps I should consider incl. some services (muck heap etc).

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
Thanks for your input everyone. It would be in Cheshire.

Food for thought...perhaps I should consider incl. some services (muck heap etc).

I think it depends where abouts it is. I'd say working on £25 a stable a week, plus a bit more for the privacy, so anything from 60-70 a week

loulabelle

Visit site
I used to rent 2.5acres with 2 stables, hardstanding, massive barn, and mains water (although battery powered electrics). we were responsible for all upkeep to fences and fields and also for removing muck...paid £80pcm which was very resonable.

magichorse

Visit site
Up until recently my friend paid 100 per month on a similar place in Cheshire. It included stable, water, grazing but no electricity. There was another livery on there too so it wasn't just 'hers'.

Milkmaid

Visit site
Depends completely on where abouts the land is, what it's like (sloped, well drained etc)
Are the stables in a proper yard with concrete or are they skid stables straight on dirt?
There are so many variables!
I pay just under £40 pm pcm for 1.75 acres with all the above (on excellent, flat, well drained land) except for the stables (which are at my house down the road).

ameeyal

Visit site
I would be happy paying £40 a week.
I rent a livery yard out in cheshire, it has double of every thing yours has, for £80. a week. {electric included}

riding_high

Visit site
i rented a 5 acre field, a massive barn with 4 stables, tack room, storage space for hay/straw and plenty of room inside the barn (not including stables) to put a big round bale of hay for 4 horses to eat with no fights for £40pw. it had electric and the water was piped up from a well.
that's in somerset.

Bojingles

Visit site
Very useful input, thanks everyone. I'm wondering if the stables would almost be an overspend and not bring in much more than field rent. Perhaps I'd be better off with a field shelter for this size set-up. Thanks!

daveem

Visit site
Sorry bit off topic but could anyone tell me where the best places are to look for these kinds of places? Would it be word of mouth or online sites? Thanks

Bojingles

Visit site
Sorry bit off topic but could anyone tell me where the best places are to look for these kinds of places? Would it be word of mouth or online sites? Thanks

Depends where you are; here in Cheshire we have a very useful resource, http://www.cheshirehorse.co.uk/ which has a forum where you can advertise this sort of thing for free. I expect there's a lot of word-of-mouth too, notices in feed/tack shops etc.

Rudolph's Red Nose

Visit site
I would love private paddock and stables but around here Herts/Beds border they are very rare though keep looking..

I would happily pay £50 plus a week for peace and quiet :)